PDA

View Full Version : Your greatest asset?

Mike2228
08-07-2010, 03:14 AM
What part of your game is the strongest? What gives you the biggest edge against your opponent?

For me it would have to be my return of serve, followed by my serve and then my forehand.

Larrysümmers
08-07-2010, 04:14 AM
angles. I seem to be able to hit really sharp angle that drop in at the last second. And nothing says in your face more than a sharp CC shot then a backhand to the open court, and if they do get it back, a nice volley to end it.

bholloway
08-07-2010, 05:00 AM
I'm really good at calling balls out, when they're actually in. I normally use this on crucial points and it helps me to win a lot of matches.

rich s
08-07-2010, 06:02 AM
I'm really good at calling balls out, when they're actually in. I normally use this on crucial points and it helps me to win a lot of matches.

LOL..... I've played you a couple times.....I think you might have been on my team one season..... :)

rich s
08-07-2010, 06:03 AM
Cross court forehand..... low and fast with a lot of top....

arche3
08-07-2010, 06:21 AM
I am good at blocking my opponents view of lobs over my head when I am scrambling back to the baseline to get to the ball. I found if you stand right in front of it when it bounces there is no way the guy on the other side of net can see it. SO you can call it out whenever you want to... :)

tennis tom
08-07-2010, 07:00 AM
My vision.

tennis tom
08-07-2010, 07:24 AM
I am good at blocking my opponents view of lobs over my head when I am scrambling back to the baseline to get to the ball. I found if you stand right in front of it when it bounces there is no way the guy on the other side of net can see it. SO you can call it out whenever you want to... :)

I also have x-ray vision so I can see through your protoplasm and know when you're cheating me on those baseline calls.

polski
08-07-2010, 11:08 AM
I think I am mentally tougher than most people I play. Sure, I have a decent serve & pretty solid forehand. However, I like to play to win & I do that more often than not. I have accepted the fact that I make mistakes & I respect my physical limitations. I work as hard as I can to put myself in situations that I am comfortable with so that winning points, games, & matches isn't pressure filled.

Sherlock
08-07-2010, 01:45 PM
My mental toughness and the spin on my shots, my forehand usually has my opponents hitting the ball above their shoulders, and yet I am still able to hit through the shot.

TnTBigman
08-07-2010, 02:33 PM
My serve. I can go big flat or spin (straight and wide). I can also target a weekside (FH,BH, center choke) all match long. My return of serve is aggressive as well. In addition, in doubles, I can place very well, and come up with angles off of soft touches.

Polaris
08-07-2010, 03:11 PM
I'd say my asset would be my flexibility on the backhand - topspin, slice and volleys are all in functioning order, and more stable than their forehand counterparts.

BTW, these may be assets at the 4.0 level but a good 4.5 would basically kill me in spite of them.:)

r2473
08-07-2010, 04:28 PM
My mental toughness and the spin on my shots, my forehand usually has my opponents hitting the ball above their shoulders, and yet I am still able to hit through the shot.

Currently USTA 4.0

Let me get this straight......you hit a penetrating shot (hit through the shot) that bounces above your opponents shoulders......but you are only a 4.0 player?

I have to assume you are either not very consistent or your backhand is non-existent, because if you hit shots like that (at least as I envision these shots) you would have to be higher rated.

spacediver
08-07-2010, 04:43 PM
My serve (both 1st and second serve) and my speed on court.

anantak2k
08-07-2010, 04:43 PM
one word : footwork

Angle Queen
08-07-2010, 04:51 PM
Initially: My size. Or lack thereof.

I'm skinny as a rail. Opponents just don't expect Lil Ole Me to cover the net and court the way I do...or hit the serve as hard as I can, much less move it around like I like to.

But more long-term: It's a mental thing. On court, I'm an optimist, never think I'm out of it until it's GSM...and deeply enjoy the strategy involved. I love frustrating my opponents both tactically and technically.

The strokes? Eh, they could use some improvement but they're fairly reliable even if they're not necessarily impressive.

Annika
08-07-2010, 06:31 PM
My best asset is my "third wind."

Sherlock
08-08-2010, 05:25 AM
Let me get this straight......you hit a penetrating shot (hit through the shot) that bounces above your opponents shoulders......but you are only a 4.0 player?

I have to assume you are either not very consistent or your backhand is non-existent, because if you hit shots like that (at least as I envision these shots) you would have to be higher rated.

Sorry, my normal shot has a lot of spin. When I have time to set up I can hit a penetrating shot (which still has a good amount of spin but not as much). I'm working on that shot and still miss it sometimes, but it's coming.

pyrokid
08-08-2010, 06:19 AM
My consistency, I can usually just win the first set by getting everything back deep with pace and spin and moving them a little.
Then in the second set, when my strokes are more grooved, I go for a lot more.

tennis tom
08-08-2010, 06:20 AM

Watch your language, there may be children present! Get back in your box and quit talking like a 5.0. If your not careful, before long, you'll be blurting out things like : "constructing points" and that could result in a ban.

10sfreak
08-08-2010, 07:23 AM
My biggest assets on court (hell, to be honest, my ONLY assets on the tennis court) are my speed and endurance. I don't have much of a serve, forehand is weak, and the backhand is non-existant. But, I can get to a lot of balls, and can do so for hours at a time...

Sherlock
08-08-2010, 09:14 AM
Watch your language, there may be children present! Get back in your box and quit talking like a 5.0. If your not careful, before long, you'll be blurting out things like : "constructing points" and that could result in a ban.

LOL, yeah I guess it came out not how I was intending. I guess I meant it's not "just" a spinny shot but also goes through the court. It's not a heater by any means.

But a lot of my opponents say how difficult it is to always be hitting shots from their shoulders when I play them, so I'd say that is one of my biggest assets.

Doubles
08-08-2010, 10:28 AM
My serve is a good weapon, and I can win free points off of it, but the shot that really wins matches for me is my backhand. It's the most consistent shot in my arsenal...

slice bh compliment
08-08-2010, 10:38 AM
Chicks dig me because I rarely wear underwear. And when I do it's usually something pretty imaginative.

Serve, touch, disguise, turning defense into offense.

I'm basically a cross between Bill Murray and Andy Murray.

dafox
08-08-2010, 12:25 PM
to get a better assessment of your asset ask your coach or regular hitting partner

polski
08-08-2010, 01:10 PM
I also have a great fist pump. Looks just like Tiger with a little less leg kick.

slice bh compliment
08-08-2010, 03:24 PM
I'm pretty strong in the upper body (not just the legs), so I'm really good at climbing the stands to hug my entourage. It's usually a 10 foot chain link fence at the park nearby. I could just use one of two gates, but, man, I was inspired by Yannick Noah in 1983 and Pat Cash in 1987. I really think I've stepped it up. It's especially creepy now that I'm over 40.

Oh, and I've gotten really good at air guitar after I make a trick shot (tweener, pirhouette high BH volley/oh). I go from a calm, intricate Edge vibe to more of a Pete Townshend, depending on the shot.

Both of these have really been key elements in my game.

dizzlmcwizzl
08-08-2010, 04:35 PM
I own the overhead which bounces over the fence on my opponents short lobs. I like go to that shot when I am in trouble.

thejuice
08-08-2010, 04:55 PM
My serve. I'm a lefty that can place the ball really well and I have a nice, hard flat serve and a nice topspin second serve. I always get compliments on my serve and my service motion whether I win or lose.

Limpinhitter
08-09-2010, 12:49 PM
Serve, first and second. For some, their serve is little more than a point starter. For me, it's a weapon. IMHO, the most important shots in tennis are (1) serve, and (2) return of serve. I spend significant time just practicing my serve. And, I get free points and weak returns in virtually every service game.

SlapShot
08-09-2010, 01:17 PM
My serve.

It's all I could really do during summers, because I didn't know many other people who played, so I learned how to hit big, and hit spots.

Second to that would be my forehand right now - I'm able to hit with pace and spin coupled with confidence. It's not always the case, but it's feeling really good right now.

MNPlayer
08-09-2010, 01:34 PM
LOL, yeah I guess it came out not how I was intending. I guess I meant it's not "just" a spinny shot but also goes through the court. It's not a heater by any means.

But a lot of my opponents say how difficult it is to always be hitting shots from their shoulders when I play them, so I'd say that is one of my biggest assets.

Having hit with you recently, I agree with your assessment. :)
Obviously all these skills are relative to our level, I think you have a pretty heavy forehand now for a 4.0, with above average consistency as well.

mtr1
08-09-2010, 01:59 PM
My speed and determination, and my tweener/hotdog. Tennis should be fun, that's what I tell my hitting partner when he gets passed by one of my trickshots...... :)

MomentumGT
08-09-2010, 02:27 PM
I also have a great fist pump. Looks just like Tiger with a little less leg kick.

I have a great "fist pump" as well. It rivals that of the cast of Jersey Shore.

-Jon

GRANITECHIEF
08-09-2010, 03:20 PM
Probably the serve, but i'm not sure. Maybe someone can tell me.

I'm the dude with the white shirt.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bHyc0f01tzM

nickarnold2000
08-10-2010, 06:59 AM

That's some serious elevation! Are you guys using regular or pressure less balls?

Totai
08-10-2010, 07:23 AM
I have no assets. Just a jack of all trades

FloridaAG
08-10-2010, 07:26 AM
Point construction; consistency; willingness and ability to chase down balls, retrieve and switch from defense to offense; topspin forehand and down the line 2-hander

GRANITECHIEF
08-10-2010, 08:14 AM
That's some serious elevation! Are you guys using regular or pressure less balls?

We are using high altitude balls, which are slightly lower pressure. They are still very lively though!!

Can anyone help me determine my greatest asset?

lonux
08-10-2010, 08:26 AM
Everything involved with my backhand - especially consistency, down the line, and short angles.

Edberg
08-10-2010, 08:31 AM
one word : footwork

In other words you are a pusher.

Dedans Penthouse
08-10-2010, 08:49 AM
My steely gaze.
[.] [.]

Pioneer
08-10-2010, 09:00 AM
Ummmm, some of you may be confused but my greatest asset is having strokes that really resemble Safin's strokes even though I didn't copy his strokes when I was learning the game. Scares my opponent and gives a "pro" feel to my game. I'm really good at mental breakdowns too.

Spokewench
08-10-2010, 09:01 AM
This is really sad - I'm not sure I have a greatest asset! Perhaps my backhand volley.

GRANITECHIEF
08-10-2010, 10:09 AM
Ummmm, some of you may be confused but my greatest asset is having strokes that really resemble Safin's strokes even though I didn't copy his strokes when I was learning the game. Scares my opponent and gives a "pro" feel to my game. I'm really good at mental breakdowns too.

How is your racket smashing technique?

FloridaAG
08-10-2010, 10:11 AM

How is your vodka drinking?

destroyer
08-10-2010, 03:01 PM
My temperament!

XFactorer
08-10-2010, 06:35 PM
My best asset is being able to get to [almost] every ball. Now what I do with it when I'm there is a different story.

nickarnold2000
08-10-2010, 08:49 PM
We are using high altitude balls, which are slightly lower pressure. They are still very lively though!!

Can anyone help me determine my greatest asset?
I'd say your serve is a weapon and your willingness to attack short balls and take the net.

Ken Honecker
08-11-2010, 02:38 AM
The fact that I honestly think I can beat anyone THIS GAME no matter how much better (younger, trimer, faster) they are than I. I'd call it an NFL cornerbacks mentality being able to forget the last point and play the current one.

MrFlip
08-11-2010, 02:41 AM
Teleportation and shanking

slice bh compliment
08-11-2010, 04:00 AM
YEah man, teleportation's pretty awesome. Others should try it.

This is great, too:
... an NFL cornerbacks mentality being able to forget the last point and play the current one.

My greatest asset is that I carry 3 to 5 frames in a pretty phat bag, which also happens to be a pretty fat bag. I think it's worth two games per set.
My head to toe Nike outfits are usually worth an early break.
If I jog to and from points, I think that gets me some cred, too.

I play tiebreakers really well. The format suits me. Also, I'm determined to handle heat, wind, cold and distractions better than my opponent.

Polaris
08-11-2010, 05:17 AM
My steely gaze.
[.] [.]
(.)
D-R-O-I-I-I-D !

Pioneer
08-11-2010, 05:34 AM

As long as it's not pro stock or discontinued, I'll smash it :D

dParis
08-11-2010, 05:42 AM

Your greatest asset is being able to pick opponents who aren't as good as you.:razz:

That, and you seem to be tall and well coordinated to take advantage of it. Serve looks good. Good reach. You get out of the way of the racquet on those body shots.

TenS_Ace
08-11-2010, 05:56 PM
My greatest asset is how good I look on court, matched outfit with matched bandana..I usually get a couple free points just from this, along with many many prestigious awards from NEWKS!:twisted:

NLBwell
08-12-2010, 09:47 PM
My greatest assets used to be the first serve, second serve, return of serve, forehand, and topspin backhand. Then just the first and second serves and return of serve. Then just the first and second serves. Then just the second serve.

Now, actually, I have no assets.

Well, maybe that my rackets look good.