PDA

View Full Version : Video - adjusting and maintaining a lockout stringer

Irvin
08-07-2010, 06:39 AM
I have created a video for my Gamma 6004 stringer. It may not be the same as your stringer but the concepts should be similar. If you have any questions or comments let me know.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cr2GeWDMs_A&feature=sub

Irvin

David123
08-07-2010, 08:16 AM
other than forgetting to mention to clean the tension gripper :P, another superb video from Irvin. Thanks a bunch!

Irvin
08-07-2010, 09:24 AM
other than forgetting to mention to clean the tension gripper :P, another superb video from Irvin. Thanks a bunch!

You are absolutely correct 'David123' I did not mention how to clean the gripper. I should have. When I do clean the gripper (and I do some times but not as oftern as the clamps) I do not use a pipe cleaner as wet as the one I use to clean the clamps. There are ball bearing on the outside of the gripper clamps and I would hate to get all the oil out of there. So I use a used pipe cleaner just barely damp.

Irvin

struggle
08-07-2010, 11:41 AM
good one irvin.
funny, i never even considered just mounting my calibrator that way. i either ran it low, out the side of the turntable off the fixed stringclamps (reading was way too high)
or ran it in a racket (readings seemed to be accurate).

tonite i'm gonna rig the kevlar (thanks again!) and try it all three ways (yours included, which is simple and makes lots of sense).

Irvin
08-07-2010, 12:03 PM
^^ You never have to use a clamp other than one to hold the two string on either side of the 12 oclock position. If I use the method suggested by Gamma I have to apply the brake to keep the turntable in place and I never seem to have enough room. Applying a brake means I am not applying tension in a straight line. When I do that I don't think I get a true reading.

Irvin

struggle
08-07-2010, 12:21 PM
^^ You never have to use a clamp other than one to hold the two string on either side of the 12 oclock position. If I use the method suggested by Gamma I have to apply the brake to keep the turntable in place and I never seem to have enough room. Applying a brake means I am not applying tension in a straight line. When I do that I don't think I get a true reading.

Irvin

yeah, i like it. BUT i don't have a floating clamp, perhaps my starting clamp will work. i'll see...looks like i could also just loop it over the knob at 12 oclock.

Irvin
08-07-2010, 12:57 PM
yeah, i like it. BUT i don't have a floating clamp, perhaps my starting clamp will work. i'll see...looks like i could also just loop it over the knob at 12 oclock.

I do not think a starting clamp will work. You will be pulling the clamp apart with the natural pull of the string. I would just try to tie in on somehow. Maybe make and large loop and wrap it around the 12 o'clock support a few times so the knot is not under direct pressure. Two string in a starting clamp do not work well either the one on the top gets the least grab.

Irvin

airman88
09-05-2010, 11:21 PM
Couple clamp and calibration followup questions most likely for Irvin...

1)How tight do you normally tighten the clamps. Is there a standard way to test and adjust the tightness? I tested by clamping a small piece of string and pulling to see if it would slip. But it slipped much more easily then a string would on the racket. Also, the one that felt tighter seemed to slip more.

2) Also, I calibrated the tensioner using your method above. Originally, I had clamped it and found that the tension was maybe low by a pound or so. But your way, it seemed to be 5 pounds low. There is also some variability if I measure the tension several times. So I adjusted the screw to where it appears to be more accurate at 60 lbs. But when I try 65 lbs, the meter reads closer to 70 lbs. My question is how accurate is calibration (could a meter be wrong and are they consistent) and is there more fine tuning necessary for high and low tensions (I kind of just turned the screw a little).

Irvin
09-06-2010, 01:23 AM
^^ Well to adjust the clamps I sort of go by feel. I do not want the clamp to start getting tight on the string as soon as I start to clamp it, I think it is about 1/2 way. And I do not want the clamp to be too tight on the string when it fully closes.

To adjust the tensioner I follow the Gamma instructions and always adjust at 60 lbs. No matter how many times I test it it pulls at 60 lbs every time. I have never tested any other tension.

Irvin