PDA

View Full Version : How heavy is too heavy?

gplracer
08-07-2010, 10:26 AM
I am in my early 40s. I have been playing tennis since I was a junior and as an adult have always played the 4.5 level. The last two years my kids have played so many tournaments that I have not played as much. I switched to a Babolat Pure Drive GT and I like the racket. It is lighter than my kfactor 6.1 but my elbow does not like it. I am trying to play with my 6.1 again but it is heavy as a log. I find that after a set or two it is difficult to swing There is just nothing left in the arm. I am 6'2" so i am not a small person. Do you think this racket is now too heavy for me or I am just not in shape to hit with it. I have only played with it for about 2 weeks hitting 6 times or so. Ground strokes have good power but the serve has not caught up yet. This is a modified post of some earlier questions I posted about this. I just have more feedback to give now.

HiroProtagonist
08-07-2010, 10:37 AM
First, 15oz is too heavy.

Second, my guess is that its all in ur head, take some time to adjust to the 6.1 again, but that stick is no to arm friendly either from what I hear.

So if that doesnt work demo some flexy racquets:

PSL

PB 10 mid

PK Redondo just to name a few

tailofdog
08-07-2010, 10:38 AM
I am in my early 40s. I have been playing tennis since I was a junior and as an adult have always played the 4.5 level. The last two years my kids have played so many tournaments that I have not played as much. I switched to a Babolat Pure Drive GT and I like the racket. It is lighter than my kfactor 6.1 but my elbow does not like it. I am trying to play with my 6.1 again but it is heavy as a log. I find that after a set or two it is difficult to swing There is just nothing left in the arm. I am 6'2" so i am not a small person. Do you think this racket is now too heavy for me or I am just not in shape to hit with it. I have only played with it for about 2 weeks hitting 6 times or so. Ground strokes have good power but the serve has not caught up yet. This is a modified post of some earlier questions I posted about this. I just have more feedback to give now.
Everybody used to swing 13 OZ racquets with ease. I am switched back to heavy racquets about 3yr ago( i am 62) I have a rebound net at home that i hit foam balls against every day. That little bit of a work out is what makes my racquets easy to swing. My racquet is 12.3 OZ and i can swing it all day long. My greatest concern is stiff racquets. I think heavy racquets take a lot to beat as a tennis weapon!!

klementine79
08-07-2010, 10:41 AM
15oz. ???

I did not read that.

Try making your 6.1 more head light... between 10-12pts. HL.. should help to make it feel more maneuverable... If that doesn't work.

Try a demo of the Prestige Midplus.. or the BLX Pro Tour.. any racquet that is under 12oz. and above 11.5 with a HL balance should help.

Good Luck.

flashfire276
08-07-2010, 11:29 AM
It's too heavy when you can't handle it anymore.

For instance. I consider a 12.5 ounce racquet to be "too heavy" for me. And for a lot of people on this board, that's probably a junior racquet for them.

joe sch
08-07-2010, 11:33 AM
Play as much heft as possible as long as you can swing out for complete matches and you have enough strenght such that your not injury your body. If your getting out hit and you can get around on your strokes or cant hit smoothly on the run, then you may have too much weight or bad technique. With light rackets, a player need hugh strokes or very fast hits to consistently hit winners. Players can benefit by experimenting with lead given thier strenghts, skills, and racket setups.

forthegame
08-07-2010, 01:04 PM
Playing with a Ki 5 (11.8oz, 335g) and sometimes I struggle to whip it round. Especially when I play a heavy hitter. Occasionally not too bad but overall I think I'll try something lighter for a bit and see where that takes me.

darthpwner
08-07-2010, 01:15 PM
I used to use the k6.1 tour at 12.5 oz and now I use the BLX 6.1 95 at 12.2 oz. Neither seems heavy to me. Probably overr 13 oz would be heavy.

LPShanet
08-07-2010, 01:27 PM

It should be fine. I know many players your level/age who use heavier frames than that. It's just a matter of getting used to it again, and having the subtle mechanical adjustments that go with the switch. That, and staying in good shape. Overall, the heavier frame will be easier on your joints if you can swing it than a lighter one will.

N.B. Not sure where all this 15 oz. nonsense came from. The racquet the OP is referring to is nowhere near that heavy.

klementine79
08-07-2010, 01:50 PM
^ In complete agreement with LPShanet.

The term 'heavy' is not needed here.

Flex and weight distribution are more well-suited.

I'm currently swinging frames that are close to 14oz. But the frame is rather flexible, headlight (11-12pts.) and well balanced, neither polarized or specified in one area of the frame and my shoulders and wrists are completely healthy.

On the other hand, I can recall playing a set with other lighter frames, in the 11oz. area that were stiff and head-heavy and in one set managed to bother my shoulder and wrists.

pyrokid
08-07-2010, 07:51 PM
Try the extreme or radical.
Both are flexier than the kfactor, and I'm assuming that was your problem with the PD.

Bud
08-07-2010, 10:28 PM
^ In complete agreement with LPShanet.

The term 'heavy' is not needed here.

Flex and weight distribution are more well-suited.

I'm currently swinging frames that are close to 14oz. But the frame is rather flexible, headlight (11-12pts.) and well balanced, neither polarized or specified in one area of the frame and my shoulders and wrists are completely healthy.

On the other hand, I can recall playing a set with other lighter frames, in the 11oz. area that were stiff and head-heavy and in one set managed to bother my shoulder and wrists.

What is your current racquet and lead setup?

klementine79
08-08-2010, 02:36 AM
What is your current racquet and lead setup?

Hello there Bud... How is crazy Ray doing down there in crazy San Diego? I have been away from TT for awhile (recently have been back-on)... Cumpolsury Military service here in Greece, as I decided to return to my birthplace and re-claim some birth rights.. ;) But I miss the states (25years of residence and citizenship, since I was 5y.o.) , especially cities like San Diego.. I hope you consider yourself lucky and priveledged... moving-on.

Cut and paste job from a previous thread..

My MgPresMids (5of them) came weighing in (stock and strung) @ 12.0, 12.1, and 12.2oz. I recently modified all 5 with same procedure.

I added roughly (a little more or less in some) 35grams of silicone inside the upper portion of the handle (not lower portion.. to avoid that slugish polarized feel). but not before i crammed some tightly wadded cotton about 7-8inches in there to avoid the silicone from dripping.. messy stuff and a pain until it fully dries 3days later.

I then pop 12grams of lead tape under the bumper @ 12 o'clock and whallah..

CAUTION: I believe I want to remove 10grams of silicone from the handle and 3grams from the hoop and see if there is really that much drop off in play @ around 13.2-13.4oz.

No leather grip either.. just a tightly wrapped syn.grip and 1 overgrip. Strung with my new cheap favorite -- Prince Syn. Gut Duraflex 17g (Gold) @ around 58lbs. To tame down the power.

BTW- The syn.gut makes a great sound when struck-sweet.

All the racquets (unmatched) come in between 13.7 and 13.9oz. with swingweights ranging between 362-367 and all 11-12pts.HL. Good Luck and good night !!!

Bud
08-08-2010, 02:46 AM
Hello there Bud... How is crazy Ray doing down there in crazy San Diego? I have been away from TT for awhile (recently have been back-on)... Cumpolsury Military service here in Greece, as I decided to return to my birthplace and re-claim some birth rights.. ;) But I miss the states (25years of residence and citizenship, since I was 5y.o.) , especially cities like San Diego.. I hope you consider yourself lucky and priveledged... moving-on.

Cut and paste job from a previous thread..

My MgPresMids (5of them) came weighing in (stock and strung) @ 12.0, 12.1, and 12.2oz. I recently modified all 5 with same procedure.

I added roughly (a little more or less in some) 35grams of silicone inside the upper portion of the handle (not lower portion.. to avoid that slugish polarized feel). but not before i crammed some tightly wadded cotton about 7-8inches in there to avoid the silicone from dripping.. messy stuff and a pain until it fully dries 3days later.

I then pop 12grams of lead tape under the bumper @ 12 o'clock and whallah..

CAUTION: I believe I want to remove 10grams of silicone from the handle and 3grams from the hoop and see if there is really that much drop off in play @ around 13.2-13.4oz.

No leather grip either.. just a tightly wrapped syn.grip and 1 overgrip. Strung with my new cheap favorite -- Prince Syn. Gut Duraflex 18g (Gold) @ around 58lbs. To tame down the power.

BTW- The syn.gut makes a great sound when struck-sweet.

All the racquets (unmatched) come in between 13.7 and 13.9oz. with swingweights ranging between 362-367 and all 11-12pts.HL. Good Luck and good night !!!

Last time I checked he was well :)

Those are some heavy sticks! :shock:

klementine79
08-08-2010, 02:55 AM
^ It's unbelievable really. At 12pts. HL they swing comprable to a 6.1 95.. a little clunky and club-like through the air but manageable and loaded with power (almost too much). I never started out with a set goal of a certain static and swing weight, nor balance... but over time ( 2+ years )had been experimenting with different set-ups, it just happened that the numbers seem a little high... but the racquet swings fairly quickly, even on serves.. I can really whip through the contact zone with a nice fluid and relaxed swing.

The thing about a racquet with these numbers is, if you tense-up and try to hard... it will fight you on everything from service to drop-shots. When you are relaxed and fluid.. it is a monster. There are so many benefits to playing with a racquet with such specs.

Bud
08-08-2010, 03:08 AM
^ It's unbelievable really. At 12pts. HL they swing comprable to a 6.1 95.. a little clunky and club-like through the air but manageable and loaded with power (almost too much). I never started out with a set goal of a certain static and swing weight, nor balance... but over time ( 2+ years )had been experimenting with different set-ups, it just happened that the numbers seem a little high... but the racquet swings fairly quickly, even on serves.. I can really whip through the contact zone with a nice fluid and relaxed swing.

The thing about a racquet with these numbers is, if you tense-up and try to hard... it will fight you on everything from service to drop-shots. When you are relaxed and fluid.. it is a monster. There are so many benefits to playing with a racquet with such specs.

http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showpost.php?p=4926710&postcount=7

I just posted my PST minus the headguard with extra lead at 3/9 plus a leather grip.

It's 360g and 10 pts. HL and swings pretty easily.

klementine79
08-08-2010, 03:12 AM
http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showpost.php?p=4926710&postcount=7

I just posted my PST minus the headguard with extra lead at 3/9 plus a leather grip.

It's 360g and 10 pts. HL and swings pretty easily.

Nice. It's amazing how much weight one can handle when the balance is above 8pts.HL.. I always wonder how players like Sampras swung those sticks that were close to even balance yet similiar static and swing weights... My shoulder would follow the ball across the courts after my service.. :)

I will try to post pics of mine as well.. but they look just like normal MGPresMids.

What brand of leather is that you have on there?

It looks very traditional.. almost like you made it yourself.

Bud
08-08-2010, 04:01 AM
Nice. It's amazing how much weight one can handle when the balance is above 8pts.HL.. I always wonder how players like Sampras swung those sticks that were close to even balance yet similiar static and swing weights... My shoulder would follow the ball across the courts after my service.. :)

I will try to post pics of mine as well.. but they look just like normal MGPresMids.

What brand of leather is that you have on there?

It looks very traditional.. almost like you made it yourself.

TW thin leather ;-)

marosmith
08-08-2010, 11:46 AM
get used to the racket, it is fine and heavier will be better for your elbow.

pshulam
08-08-2010, 12:18 PM
Do you think this racket is now too heavy for me or I am just not in shape to hit with it.
As others point out, you will get used to it again. I'm older and smaller than you are but have no problem playing with 12.5+ oz classic racquets. When my shoulders become tired after a couple of hours of play, I normally switch to my lighter Babolat Pure Storm Team racket.

Don't Let It Bounce
08-08-2010, 01:22 PM
...I added roughly (a little more or less in some) 35grams of silicone inside the upper portion of the handle (not lower portion.. to avoid that slugish polarized feel). but not before i crammed some tightly wadded cotton about 7-8inches in there to avoid the silicone from dripping.. messy stuff and a pain until it fully dries 3days later....I hope the thread won't be derailed by a brief technical question... Klementine, how did you get silicone that high into the grip? The three-inch nozzle is a limiting factor in the silicone tubes that I've used and seen, and I'd rather have the mass up higher for the very reason you cited.

klementine79
08-08-2010, 10:45 PM
I hope the thread won't be derailed by a brief technical question... Klementine, how did you get silicone that high into the grip? The three-inch nozzle is a limiting factor in the silicone tubes that I've used and seen, and I'd rather have the mass up higher for the very reason you cited.

I used some carefully measured and trimmed tubing (transparent and pliable) which I attached to the end of the nozzle of the silicone tube.

I stabalized the racquet with some pillows because this requires two hands. 1 to pump the silicone and 1 to guide the tubing.

The silicone tends to dry up rather quickly in the tubing and does not flow through the tubing without some effort, so timing and patience are necessary.

If you have a digital scale you're in great shape. I just kept gauging my balance until I achieved my desired results, probably why I have a .2oz difference between frames, but then again this was the discrepency between the frames at stock weight. I came pretty close in approximating the amount of silicone injected by measuring the balance of the frame at increments throughout the process.

Good Luck.

Don't Let It Bounce
08-09-2010, 11:39 AM
^^^ Thanks!

SheLovesMyPlowThrough
08-09-2010, 12:46 PM
Recently, Ive used the Aeropro Drive, but then really wanted to feel the swing more so I switched to an Aerogel 200. I felt like it was an addition, at 12 oz, but I always felt like I could still handle more weight. Currently, I'm waiting to try out the Ksix.one tour 90 which I'm modding up to 13.0+ oz, not sure yet, but I think I could handle it. I'm still young though, at 20 I feel like my arm can still handle it.

My buddy however, used to play with the Head Prestiges but his arm was in some serious pain after his second season in college tennis. Of course he played competitively, but regardless he felt pain. He recently switched to a lighter stick but is now back to a Tecnifibre with similar weight, the name escapes me.

The point is that it's entirely on you, but if you're swinging a stick that you feel you can't, you probably shouldn't because that kind of wear and tear can cause permanent damage if you push it.

all the best.

JackB1
08-09-2010, 01:17 PM
I think the best way to see if a racquet is too heavy is to serve with it. You seem to "feel" the weight the most during serve. Also, if you can't "snap" your wrist adequately during serve, then the racquet is too heavy.
Or, if serving becomes a chore late in a match. Another test is if you are often "late" on your groundstrokes.
Sometimes a racquet feels fine when casually rallying, but when you face a tough opponent, quickly becomes "too heavy".

I used to use swingweight of +335 racquets, but recently have dropped to 325 and it has helped me get around quicker on fast paced groundstrokes. I used to think
I was fine with the swingweight I had, but noticed I was "late" a lot more than I wanted to be.

Gee
08-09-2010, 01:32 PM
I think the best way to see if a racquet is too heavy is to serve with it. You seem to "feel" the weight the most during serve. Also, if you can't "snap" your wrist adequately during serve, then the racquet is too heavy.
Or, if serving becomes a chore late in a match. Another test is if you are often "late" on your groundstrokes.
Sometimes a racquet feels fine when casually rallying, but when you face a tough opponent, quickly becomes "too heavy".

I used to use swingweight of +335 racquets, but recently have dropped to 325 and it has helped me get around quicker on fast paced groundstrokes. I used to think
I was fine with the swingweight I had, but noticed I was "late" a lot more than I wanted to be.
Very well said!

Al1978
08-09-2010, 03:42 PM
The real test is how well you can handle a racquet over the course of a match. I don't think you have to be able to swing a racquet as fast after two hours of play as you did when the match started, but if you find yourself altering your technique to compensate for a slower racquet or tired arm, the racquet is probably too heavy. But physical fitness is a factor in this equation, so if there's room for improvement there, it might make more sense to add running or lifting to your routine so you can handle that heavy racquet after three sets in the summer heat, in lieu of dumping the racquet for something lighter.

Marcy21
08-09-2010, 04:12 PM
Del potro's racket is over 400g. Bit heavy much?

Gee
08-09-2010, 09:44 PM
Del potro's racket is over 400g. Bit heavy much?
Depends on the weight balance and the stamina of the player. You better consider swingweight as measurement how heavy a racquet swings.

TennisMD
08-12-2010, 09:41 AM

So define heavy. This could mean several things not detrimental to your game such as on picking it up comming from a light it feels different hence maybe clumsy, if on hitting with this for awhile your strokes are accurate such as your inteding a sever cross court angle on your forehand while in the duce court but the shot goes to the middle or worse yet down the line then you are hitting late and the rkt is to heavy, also if this happens late in the 3rd set then too heavy for competetive purposes. Also who you are playing against not just moderately paced balls as when being fed by a teaching pro, but someone your level or slightly better.
So overall I would say demo rkts from your current weight rkt and go up .5 0z for three levels eg 11.0 to 11.5 to 12.0 and play competetive matches 3 sets each and choose the heaviest rkt that allows you to place the ball where you intend for all 3 sets

klementine79
08-12-2010, 09:50 AM
^ I like to have different string tensions... but have never thought of keeping racquets with different weights/balances...

A novel idea!!!!!

I will try it out.

thelastfurlong
08-20-2010, 02:39 AM
Hi, I've been using a KPS88 since Christmas and i found i could handle the weight without a problem. Recently though while playing tournaments this summer i've noticed that when the matches start piling up at the end of the week my serve seems to suffer. The last thing i thought it might be was tiredness but now i'm just starting to wonder if its perhaps the weight of the racquet. What do you guys think? Go back to my dunlop 200s or do some dreaded fitness work??

GarrettReid
08-20-2010, 04:03 AM
I switched from a Head Ti.S6 (8.8oz) to a BLX Six.One (12.5oz) and it really feels like I'm holding a log. :p

Bud
08-20-2010, 07:12 AM

I would give a Babolat Pure Storm (non-Tour) a hit. It's a tad lighter than the PD but easier on the arm. If you slap a leather grip on it (or place about 10g inside the butt cap), it's about the same weight/balance as the PD.

The 6.1 95 Classic was always an elbow breaker, IMO.

fuzz nation
08-20-2010, 08:26 AM

Progress report?

I'm sort of in agreement with the crew who are encouraging you to try making your k6.1 more head-light in balance before getting rid of it. That could require simply trying a heavier (maybe leather) grip or adding some lead tape to the foundation on the racquet under the grip. Both are options that can easily be undone if they don't work out. My impression of the k6.1 was that it wasn't as head-light in balance as my older 6.1 Classics, but seemed otherwise to be rather familiar.

No need to tempt fate with the Babolat if your elbow already raised some objections. That's a frame which is both much lighter than your 6.1 and also quite stiff. If you look any further for a more civilized racquet option, the demo program through TW is lots of fun. Try something that's only a couple tenths of an ounce less hefty along with perhaps a lower flex rating - lower indicates more flex.

Power Player
08-20-2010, 10:00 AM
I think there is a danger into thinking that people "used to use 13oz sticks so that is not really very heavy".

Swing speeds are so much more aggressive and the game has gotten geared more towards speed, strength and athleticism that you can not play the same way people used to and be as effective (unless you are already possess a developed game).

I also think the OP is experiencing pain due to the stiffness of the racquet, not the weight.