PDA

View Full Version : Hard Decision ?

gulbis_latvianfan
08-07-2010, 07:31 PM
I need some helping regarding a decision. That is for my birthday which passed 3 days ago I got money from my grand parents. With that money I plan to buy a bowflex extreme 2 se used for 1000 dollars but the problem is that my brother who is a fitness junkie has a bowflex extreme without the no cable change system that he will give to me for free because he said that eventually I'll progress to free weights because they are better.
So the question is should I cash out and get the better bowflex or take the older one for free and buy an extra 100lbs or weight for it?
Thanks

GetBetterer
08-07-2010, 07:36 PM
Older one...

Why would you use 1000$ bucks on an exercise machine you can go to the gym for, for even cheaper?

gulbis_latvianfan
08-07-2010, 07:51 PM
I'm on a tight schedule after school for tennis, homework and fitness

GetBetterer
08-07-2010, 07:55 PM
How...does that change the decision to buy or not?

tsongaali
08-07-2010, 07:58 PM
How...does that change the decision to buy or not?

Because going to the gym takes time, unless it is like 5 minutes away. To the OP, I recommend getting one set of dumbbells because you can do so many different exercises with them.

fed_the_savior
08-07-2010, 07:58 PM
what are the advantages of the newer model

GetBetterer
08-07-2010, 08:21 PM
tsongaali:
Because going to the gym takes time, unless it is like 5 minutes away. To the OP, I recommend getting one set of dumbbells because you can do so many different exercises with them.

That I know, but the OP said he would be getting one from his brother for free.

r2473
08-07-2010, 08:27 PM
Could I get your grandparents number or address or something?

Or maybe just let them know that my birthday is coming up next week.

aceX
08-07-2010, 08:32 PM
Dumbbells and a swiss ball and you're set.

aceX
08-07-2010, 08:32 PM
Could I get your grandparents number or address or something?

Or maybe just let them know that my birthday is coming up next week.

I reckon! $1000 farrrr

hollywood9826
08-07-2010, 10:47 PM
Take the freebie. or just buy a bench you can adjust the angles on and some dumbells. Bowflex hasnt changed that much to warrant a purchase if ones avaliable for free.

Ken Honecker
08-08-2010, 01:06 AM
I bought a Bowflex XLT used back in 2000 and haven't been to a gym since. Yes it isn't quite like free weights but not having to schedule a trip to the gym or find a spotter is a huge plus for a family man like me. You do need to upgrade it to 410 lbs and that still isn't really enough for squats and leg press. For the leg press and calf raises I do them one legged but be warned that eats up the plastic bushings on the sliding seat. I made some metal ones last year and while they aren't anywhere near as smooth they seem to be lasting nicely.

On the Bowflex some weights seem to be about the same as free weights and others a lot easier so fine tuning your workout will take a couple of weeks. Personally I'd never do situps on it as with any weight it just kills my elbows locking them and herfing a couple hundred lbs around. Also the bench press isn't a perfect fit for my body shape. Think old, stiff, with wide shoulders. What I did was buy some cable and make a pair or extenders about 6-8 inches long so I wasn't having to over stretch my shoulders and elbows getting into position.

Also be advised that room temp does have an effect on how easy the rods bend. Hotter= easier.