PDA

View Full Version : Anyone in here read The Road?

Mansewerz
08-07-2010, 11:56 PM
By far one of the best novels I've read. Just finished it. It starts off a bit slow, but once it gets going, it's breathtaking. I'm a guy and there are parts where I'm nearly in tears. Books usually don't quite get me like this, but in here McCarthy makes the reader feel like part of the struggle. You can feel the cold of the wind, see the cold of their breathes and feel the fear in their hearts. Highly recommended book, especially for our materialistic society.

Cooper_Tecnifibre4
08-08-2010, 02:31 AM
rather be playin' tennis.......

Polaris
08-08-2010, 05:15 AM
By far one of the best novels I've read. Just finished it. It starts off a bit slow, but once it gets going, it's breathtaking. I'm a guy and there are parts where I'm nearly in tears. Books usually don't quite get me like this, but in here McCarthy makes the reader feel like part of the struggle. You can feel the cold of the wind, see the cold of their breathes and feel the fear in their hearts. Highly recommended book, especially for our materialistic society.

Thanks for the recommendation. I haven't read anything by Cormac McCarthy yet but was meaning to do so. The post-apocalyptic setting of the story sounds pretty awesome.

Xisbum
08-08-2010, 05:32 AM
Chilling read of a possible bleak and desolate future, with a bit of human redemption at the end. Great writing by McCarthy.

Oops. Didn't mean to spoil it for anyone. :oops:

pmata814
08-08-2010, 06:53 AM

Haven't read the book but enjoyed the movie :)

GuyClinch
08-08-2010, 07:05 AM
Lots of people love that book - I am not one of them. It's excessively bleak with a cheapo almost happy ending. Its very repetitive and poorly written (even though that's by design to some extent).

There are better post fallout books. Hell I thought the game (fallout 3) was better then the book. McCarthy to me is one of those guys who thinks he is 'cool' because his books are 'realistic' in that they potray how life can really suck. But its nothing new - and lots of people have done it better. It also fails badly on the "science" part of things. Yes I know he isn't a science fiction writer by trade but cannabilism is not a sustainable way to survive. You would quickly run out of people to eat.. Things like this really bothered me while reading it. The guy didn't want to do his leg work - and just wanted to write a picture of bleakness.