PDA

View Full Version : String Gurus, help buy my next string

dParis
08-08-2010, 01:06 PM
I'm thinking of changing things up a little on my next stringing and I would like some suggestions for new string from the community.

My racquet is a Volkl Tour10mp that is usually strung with Alpha Gut 2K or Gosen OG Micro in the mid to high 50's. The Gosen in there now has gone a but mushy and seemingly quicker than the Alpha Gut does. I'm not unhappy with either string really but I'm not against spending a few more bucks on a set of string if there is noticeable benefit.

Some info and desires:

I'm looking for a crisp, lively feeling string with above average power. The T10mp is a soft, arm friendly racquet and I'd like to firm up the stringbed a little so I don't think I need a soft, arm friendly string. On the other hand, I don't want to go too far on the side of stiffness. I've never tried a poly in the T10mp but I have hit with it in other racquets and I did not like it at all.

I'm not a string breaker so durability is not a priority.

I don't like to string often so a string that keeps its playing characteristics for a longer time is better.

I'm a relatively flat hitter but I'm trying to incorporate more topspin in my game.

Cost for string should be less than $15/set.

I'm not interested in trying hybrids at this time.

I'd appreciate feedback from those who feel they have a good knowledge and feel of strings and the reasons your suggested strings may be better than the Alpha and the Gosen string. If there is more info needed, let me know.

Game-Set-MATCH!!!
08-08-2010, 01:14 PM
I'm thinking of changing things up a little on my next stringing and I would like some suggestions for new string from the community.

My racquet is a Volkl Tour10mp that is usually strung with Alpha Gut 2K or Gosen OG Micro in the mid to high 50's. The Gosen in there now has gone a but mushy and seemingly quicker than the Alpha Gut does. I'm not unhappy with either string really but I'm not against spending a few more bucks on a set of string if there is noticeable benefit.

Some info and desires:

I'm looking for a crisp, lively feeling string with above average power. The T10mp is a soft, arm friendly racquet and I'd like to firm up the stringbed a little so I don't think I need a soft, arm friendly string. On the other hand, I don't want to go too far on the side of stiffness. I've never tried a poly in the T10mp but I have hit with it in other racquets and I did not like it at all.

I'm not a string breaker so durability is not a priority.

I don't like to string often so a string that keeps its playing characteristics for a longer time is better.

I'm a relatively flat hitter but I'm trying to incorporate more topspin in my game.

Cost for string should be less than $15/set.

I'm not interested in trying hybrids at this time.

I'd appreciate feedback from those who feel they have a good knowledge and feel of strings and the reasons your suggested strings may be better than the Alpha and the Gosen string. If there is more info needed, let me know.

my suggestion is that you try something like babolat excel , Mantis power poly. also if you get any syn. gut in 17 gage you should prob. strng up in the low 60s. my personl stringer i use has strung at the memphis tournament on the ATP tour and i cant argue with the info he gives me so these two types of string are your best bet to add power to a slower racquet! hope to hear from you soon to see what you did with this situaion!!

Game-Set-MATCH!!!
08-08-2010, 01:16 PM
my suggestion is that you try something like babolat excel , Mantis power poly. also if you get any syn. gut in 17 gage you should prob. strng up in the low 60s. my personl stringer i use has strung at the memphis tournament on the ATP tour and i cant argue with the info he gives me so these two types of string are your best bet to add power to a slower racquet! hope to hear from you soon to see what you did with this situaion!!

another few types of string are luxilon alu power 125 , prince lighting 17 gauge , and wilson stamina 16 gauge.

Doubles
08-08-2010, 01:22 PM
Wilson Stamina is a good choice if you want durabilitry and playability. I also like HEAD Rip Control. But that's on the soft side. I would recccommend Mantis Power Synthetic, though. It's crisp, responsive, and if you don't break strings, it will last a long time...

Game-Set-MATCH!!!
08-08-2010, 01:25 PM
Wilson Stamina is a good choice if you want durabilitry and playability. I also like HEAD Rip Control. But that's on the soft side. I would recccommend Mantis Power Synthetic, though. It's crisp, responsive, and if you don't break strings, it will last a long time...

yeah i use mantis power poly but power syn. is also good. my stringer usually strings that for me around 62

kiteboard
08-08-2010, 01:28 PM
Tour bite/barb wire/ vanquish/bite

Game-Set-MATCH!!!
08-08-2010, 01:35 PM

not bad thats gonan work out however u put it in ur stick

Doubles
08-08-2010, 01:38 PM
If the OP wants something with good tension maintenance, then you shouldn't be reccomending poly...

Doubles
08-08-2010, 01:39 PM
yeah i use mantis power poly but power syn. is also good. my stringer usually strings that for me around 62

Interesting. I prefer it closer to around 57, but I like low tensions. My 3 of my Radicals are currently string wit Weiss Canon Match Power at 48 lbs., while the other 3 are strung with Mantis Power Poly at 49 lbs...

dParis
08-08-2010, 02:30 PM
Thanks for the replies so far.my suggestion is that you try something like babolat excel , Mantis power poly. also if you get any syn. gut in 17 gage you should prob. strng up in the low 60s.
If I can find excel for <$15/set, I'll give it a try. Can you compare the Mantis Power Syn vs. the Alpha 2K or Gosen OGM? After trying a couple of different set ups, I'll post my thoughts. Thanks.
I find Stamina in a lot of demo racquets which isn't necessarily a bad thing. I recall liking it better than TNT2 for instance.
If the OP wants something with good tension maintenance, then you shouldn't be reccomending poly...Never fails. All recomendation threads get some responses from people who only read about 10% of the original post. :???: :)

Some other strings I was considering were X-1 Biphase, NRG2, Ashaway Dynamite and Volkl Powerfiber II. Any thoughts on how these (or others)match my criteria?

Doubles
08-08-2010, 02:39 PM
Thanks for the replies so far.
If I can find excel for <$15/set, I'll give it a try. Can you compare the Mantis Power Syn vs. the Alpha 2K or Gosen OGM? After trying a couple of different set ups, I'll post my thoughts. Thanks.

I find Stamina in a lot of demo racquets which isn't necessarily a bad thing. I recall liking it better than TNT2 for instance.
Never fails. All recomendation threads get some responses from people who only read about 10% of the original post. :???: :)

Some other strings I was considering were X-1 Biphase, NRG2, Ashaway Dynamite and Volkl Powerfiber II. Any thoughts on how these (or others)match my criteria?

X-1 and NRG2 are both very crisp and have a great feel, but are a little over priced in my opinion. I preferred Mantis Power Synthetic over both of them...

dParis
08-08-2010, 05:12 PM
X-1 and NRG2 are both very crisp and have a great feel, but are a little over priced in my opinion. I preferred Mantis Power Synthetic over both of them...
Mantis was a string I was giving 2nd tier consideration to but I think I'll move it up on your recommendation. Do you have any experience with the strings I've been using - Alpha Gut 2000 and Gosen OG-sheep Micro (for comparative/reference purposes)?

jmverdugo
08-08-2010, 06:47 PM
How about Head Rip Control?, this is a really firm string with very decent tension maintenance.

High Roller
08-08-2010, 06:54 PM

*Xcel*, although a very fine string, is nowhere near being crisp feeling. Xcel Power comes closer, but "Doubles" is right-on with the X-1 recommendation -- crisp and lively certainly sum up this string's qualities.

Doubles
08-08-2010, 07:49 PM
Mantis was a string I was giving 2nd tier consideration to but I think I'll move it up on your recommendation. Do you have any experience with the strings I've been using - Alpha Gut 2000 and Gosen OG-sheep Micro (for comparative/reference purposes)?

Sheep was a part f my last set up, and I liked it. Decent tension maintenance, but it's a little bit too soft for my liking. Mantis Power Synthetic blows it out of the water, really...

meowmix
08-08-2010, 08:35 PM
Though you didn't ask for a hybrid, your situation seems to scream Pacific Class GUT HYBRID. Mains should be Pacific Classic Gut, and crosses a synthetic gut of your choice. The crosses don't add that much to the overall setup. Here's why I recommend this (despite you asking for non-hybrid recs):

"I'm looking for a crisp, lively feeling string with above average power. "

Pacific Gut is the crispest, and most lively of the guts. The power of gut is unmatched by any string out there. While you didn't ask arm friendliness as a must, being arm friendly is definitely a plus.

"I'm not a string breaker so durability is not a priority."

Gut is the best value for those that don't break strings. A gut setup, either hybrid or full, will last you a nice long time.

"I don't like to string often so a string that keeps its playing characteristics for a longer time is better."

Gut retains tension the best out of any string. After the initial tension drop, gut will pretty much remain at its tension for the rest of its life. Gut also doesn't really change in how it plays as it ages. At least, it doesn't get any worse. Gut actually plays better the closer it is to breaking, with it playing best in the last few hours. A gut hybrid will retain all the characteristics of gut while lowering costs.

"I'm a relatively flat hitter but I'm trying to incorporate more topspin in my game."

Surprisingly to most, gut is actually a very spin friendly string. While you'll probably get more spin out of a poly or kevlar setup, any gut will put more action on the ball than any synthetic or multi.

"Cost for string should be less than $15/set."

Pacific classic gut=$27. Gosen OG Micro=$3 a set (less in reel form). Total cost per racket: $15.

Consider it.

NLBwell
08-08-2010, 09:07 PM
I've used AlphaGut a lot (still use it in my hybrids) and for a full-bed multi I use NXT Max now. They raised the price, so it is expensive now (>$15), but it has "abrasion shields" so it lasts a lot longer than AlphaGut and regular NXT. The feel is pretty crisp even though it is not a stiff string. It holds tension and plays well throughout its lifetime. It is certainly cheaper than AlphaGut in the long run if you are paying someone else to string your racket and probably not much more expensive if you string your own.

fgs
08-08-2010, 11:06 PM
i've gone through more than 25 different set-ups in the past 10 months, all of them hybrids with poly mains and multi crosses.
since you are not a stringbreaker and the issue has been addressed, there are two polys which do hold tension very well and they both have a good power level - it's the mantis power poly and kirschbaum competition.
regarding crosses there is nothing (in the lower price category) that beats the power synthetic from mantis. i haven't tried the much more expensive babolat xcel, tecnifibre x-1 or nrg2.
i'm a heavy topspin hitter and currently i get 12 hitting hours out of the mantis power poly / mantis power syn hybrid, which is 25% more than any other combination i tried. this set-up plays well from the first hit to the last.
my son also plays this combination and since he's 11, he's hitting some 20 hours with it. of course the intensity is lower than what i hit, but after 20 hours the stringbed still feels (almost) unchanged when compared to a fresh job.
we are both playing soft frames (nblade 106 and kblade team) and we string at 23kg mains and 22kg crosses.
the mantis set-up offers good touch and the price is very attractive when compared to other strings.

TennisCJC
08-09-2010, 06:58 AM
NRG2 is a very good multi and price is OK for a reel when you consider quality. It plays great - power and feel. If you play all nylon, I would try NRG2.

You said you didn't want to try hybrid, but if you break down and give it a shot, try NRG2 in the MAINS, and a soft poly in the crosses such as Signum Pro Hyperion. The mains determine most of the playing characteristics but the poly crosses will tighten the string bed. I play this setup and enjoy it very much.

dParis
08-09-2010, 08:46 AM
Though you didn't ask for a hybrid, your situation seems to scream Pacific Class GUT HYBRID. Mains should be Pacific Classic Gut, and crosses a synthetic gut of your choice. The crosses don't add that much to the overall setup. Here's why I recommend this (despite you asking for non-hybrid recs):

"I'm looking for a crisp, lively feeling string with above average power. "

Pacific Gut is the crispest, and most lively of the guts. The power of gut is unmatched by any string out there. While you didn't ask arm friendliness as a must, being arm friendly is definitely a plus.

"I'm not a string breaker so durability is not a priority."

Gut is the best value for those that don't break strings. A gut setup, either hybrid or full, will last you a nice long time.

"I don't like to string often so a string that keeps its playing characteristics for a longer time is better."

Gut retains tension the best out of any string. After the initial tension drop, gut will pretty much remain at its tension for the rest of its life. Gut also doesn't really change in how it plays as it ages. At least, it doesn't get any worse. Gut actually plays better the closer it is to breaking, with it playing best in the last few hours. A gut hybrid will retain all the characteristics of gut while lowering costs.

"I'm a relatively flat hitter but I'm trying to incorporate more topspin in my game."

Surprisingly to most, gut is actually a very spin friendly string. While you'll probably get more spin out of a poly or kevlar setup, any gut will put more action on the ball than any synthetic or multi.

"Cost for string should be less than $15/set."

Pacific classic gut=$27. Gosen OG Micro=$3 a set (less in reel form). Total cost per racket: $15.

Consider it.
If I were to go with a hybrid bed, this is the type I'd be most likely to use. I'll consider it - thanks.
NRG2 is a very good multi and price is OK for a reel when you consider quality. It plays great - power and feel. If you play all nylon, I would try NRG2.

You said you didn't want to try hybrid, but if you break down and give it a shot, try NRG2 in the MAINS, and a soft poly in the crosses such as Signum Pro Hyperion. The mains determine most of the playing characteristics but the poly crosses will tighten the string bed. I play this setup and enjoy it very much.
Another interesting hybrid set up, but my reservation is the poly loses its performance characteristics relatively quickly.

JackB1
08-09-2010, 09:07 AM

I use this combo a lot. What tensions do u use and for what racquet? Also, have you tried it the other way around with Hyperion in the mains?

kiteboard
08-09-2010, 09:09 AM
I'm trying gut/tour bite in my h22 right now. Feels great. More power than gut/blackcode.