PDA

View Full Version : Is the pht & vs (babolat) set any good?

kevoT
08-08-2010, 02:32 PM
Thinking of switching to this string setup, but I want to know what you guys think about this string, e.g. Does it have good tension maintenance, does it have long lasting pop and feel? et.c

P.S. I'm an all court player that likes to approach the net to finish points off, but I also like to add a lot of spin when hitting groundies and especially on my second serve. Also, I am currently using a pure drive roddick GT but am switching to a dunlop 4D 2hundred in about 2 months time; would this package be good in his racquet?
thanks, KevoT

rodrigoamaral
08-08-2010, 03:46 PM
Yes, Babolat VS is very good, probably the best one out there.. the PHT is a good string, a bit on the stiff side but great spin.. IMO, there are better strings out there than PHT in the same or cheaper price range

kevoT
08-09-2010, 02:39 AM
do you recommend me to use the VS on it's own or should I buy the set of PHT and VS?

rodrigoamaral
08-09-2010, 04:21 PM
do you recommend me to use the VS on it's own or should I buy the set of PHT and VS?

i would recommend you try a hybrid first of VS and PHT.. if your primary concern is feel and comfort, then go to all VS.. if you want spin, durability, control, then use the hybrid

good luck!!

kiteboard
08-09-2010, 04:29 PM
'Vs team/blackcode or tour bite cross.

MarcusInKensington
08-09-2010, 04:35 PM
Kiteboard also recommended me the VS/BlackCode combo, and I can confirm that it's awesome.

MarrratSafin
08-09-2010, 08:15 PM
Don't waste the VS gut by hybriding it with PHT. PHT goes dead very quickly (less than 10 hours) and that's about it. If you're looking for maximum string life, hybrid VS with a poly with good tension maintenance and smooth surface such as Silverstring or Hyperion.

Tennis_Crazed
08-10-2010, 12:09 AM
VS is awesome if you can afford it... i'm not a huge PHT fan myself and would rather hybrid with something else.

i'd try this, and some other cheaper alternatives...if you can't tell a difference (most ppl can't to be honest) then go with the cheaper alternative.

the way i position it with some customers is that the gut will last longer than multifilaments out there, so although its more upfront over time, its not as much as you think.

kiteboard
08-10-2010, 07:55 AM
Vs team lasts far longer than given credit for, esp. if you use a flexy stick, and don't hit super top. Holds tens. like no other, and I've been restringing crosses on it before they break, and the string sounds high pitch even then, locked down on stringer, with crosses pulled out before restring. I hit hard, with tons of top, and it gives good spin as well as power and control! Best combo I've tried out of hundreds.

kevoT
08-10-2010, 02:02 PM
[QUOTE=MarrratSafin;4930939] If you're looking for maximum string life, hybrid VS with a poly with good tension maintenance and smooth./QUOTE]

cools, then i can probably just use the string poly I am using right now (Prince poly exp 17), but when re-stringing at a store will stringing a hybrid cost me more?

kiteboard
08-10-2010, 05:18 PM
No.............

kiteboard
08-10-2010, 05:19 PM
Kiteboard also recommended me the VS/BlackCode combo, and I can confirm that it's awesome.

Listen to this guy. He also tried vs team/alu power and liked the blackcode cross more. Only took me hundreds of hybrids to find that one.

mrmo1115
08-11-2010, 03:47 AM
Try it . I love this combo and I've used it for as long as I can remember.

Gets pricy, but I love the feel I get from it. Try 17 Gauge PHT, I've just started to use the 17 Gauge instead of the 16 Gauge PHT. 16 VS Touch is the best though.

rodrigoamaral
08-11-2010, 06:36 PM
[QUOTE=MarrratSafin;4930939] If you're looking for maximum string life, hybrid VS with a poly with good tension maintenance and smooth./QUOTE]

cools, then i can probably just use the string poly I am using right now (Prince poly exp 17), but when re-stringing at a store will stringing a hybrid cost me more?

it should not cost you more to string in a hybrid.. if they do, then request to keep the 20 ft leftover and use it for a future stringjob

MarrratSafin
08-11-2010, 06:49 PM

I'm not in the States but yeah it shouldn't cost more, in fact I believe some charge more for full gut jobs.. but try not to use the Poly EXP as it's one of the polys that have noticeable string movement, the strings will be moving all over the place in no time and the EXP will saw thru the gut faster.

LetsGoRoddick
08-11-2010, 11:07 PM
from my own experience, the PHT is very stiff. But the gut hybrid should soften it up a tad.

rodrigoamaral
08-12-2010, 01:58 PM
from my own experience, the PHT is very stiff. But the gut hybrid should soften it up a tad.

Yes, PHT is stiff for a poly.. if you want comfort and durability, go with the hybrid..