PDA

View Full Version : Rodrigo's string reviews

Pages : [1] 2

rodrigoamaral
08-08-2010, 02:43 PM
Hey guys.. I have been trying many different strings this summer so I decided to write down in a few sentences what I thought of each string. For me, value is very important so I gave each string a number out of 100 of what its value is IMO.

BTW, I'm a 5.0, agressive baseliner who uses a Head MG Radical.. If you guys have some questions, I'll try my best to answer them

Babolat RPM Blast- This string is overhyped. It plays great for the first 4 hours and then loses tension FAST. Good spin, doesn’t play too stiff compared to other polys and I had high expectations coming in and was disappointed. About 80% of my friends and people who I know tried it said they were disappointed. When considering the price, this string gets an 85/100 in my book.

Kirschbaum pro line2- A pretty good string that holds tension well and has good control and pop. I like that it comes in both red and black color. When considering the price, I give this string a 90/100 in my book

Msv focus hex- Tried this string and it did not meet my expectations. It felt very plasticky and gave some good spin. The string lacked in overall performance when compared to other textured polys such as Tornado, Turbo, Blue Gear, etc. When considering the price, I give this a 91/100 in my book.

Mantis power poly- Another string that I thought played just Ok. It felt very awkward and it didn’t play like a poly. Control was poor and it had too much uncontrollable power. When considering the price, I give this an 87/100 in my book.

Polyfibre TCS- The softest poly I ever tried. Excellent spin production, holds tension ok and durability is not as good as other polys. Performance wise, this is among the best strings I ever tried. I broke this string within 6 hours but for those 6 hours, I was in heaven. If you are looking for something as soft as a syn gut but with good control and spin, try this. Considering the price, I give this a 91/100.

Polystar energy- A pretty unique co-polyester string that provided me with excellent feel and touch for a poly. This string played remarkably soft and had tons of power, maybe even a bit too much at times. Control was average and it held tension average to above-average compared to other polys. It seemed that every time the ball left my racquet, it exploded out and my opponent commented how much quicker the ball was flying than my other racquet. Spin was good and my volleys were improved with the feel of this string. Considering the price, I give this a 94/100

Signum Pro Tornado- An excellent co-poly string that really holds tension remarkably well. Spin was above average and the power was there. Overall, I really enjoyed this string but feel the price on sets is a bit overpriced. Otherwise, I Would recommend this string if you like RPM but feel it looses tension to quick. Considering price, I give this a 92/100

Poly star turbo- I read that this is the same string as the Energy but has like 16 edges or something like that. Well it does because this string provided me A LOT of spin and my balls were pretty heavy when coming of the stringbed. Control was good and power was average for a poly. It held tension pretty well and overall I was pleased with this string. I prefer the Energy over the Turbo but only by a small margin. Considering the price, I give this a 93/100.

Klip K-boom- Used this string exclusively for about 2.5 years. Great string that gave excellent control and spin. It held tension better than the Cyber Flash and power level was just average. Since I gave up on this string, I tried many other “Lux clones” and this string is overpriced and doesn’t perform nearly as well as some of the others. Considering price, this string gets an 84/100 in my book.

Tecnifibre black code- Very good string with excellent spin product. Power is good and it holds tension above average compared to other polys. Excited to try out the new Tecnifibre string that is coming out soon. Believe this was one of the first black polys that hit the market. Considering price, this string gets a 93/100 in my book.

Genesis typhoon- A string that really exceeded my expectations. Power was high, maybe a bit too much but it held tension very well and the spin was good. Would of liked a bit more control but I was very pleased with the way this string played. Considering price, I would give it a 93/100.

Genesis Spin X- Another great string that really complements my game really well. I love the ball-pocketing and the control I get from this string. Everything seems just right and it holds tension very well for a poly. Considering price, I give this a 92/100.

Signum pro poly plasma- A very low-powered mutel feel that even felt a bit mushy for me. It held tension exceptionally well and provided me with excellent control. I really didn’t feel that string is a high-performance string and I expected more from this string after reading so much positive feedback. Considering price, I give this string a 92/100.

Kirschbaum Spiky Shark- A good string for spin, but nothing special. Holds tension pretty well and it is not stiff by any means. I think there are better strings than this in the same price range and this may be my favorite string from Kirschbaum. Considering price, I give this a 88/100

NOTE: This is my opinion and my thoughts from my experience. I'm sure same will share the same opinion while others will have an entirely different experience with each string.

NEW Reviews:

Poly Star Strike- A pretty good poly that holds tension better than all of the other Poly Star strings. It has pretty good spin potential but it lacked the pinpoint accuracy that I enjoyed with the energy. I also felt that it provided me with less power than the polystar energy.. Not a bad string by any means. Considering price, I give this a 90/100

Tecnifibre Red Code- Great control-oriented poly that just plays "solid" in every department. I felt that it held average and it gave pretty good spin. In regards to feel, it played softer than most of the other stiffer polys like Luxilon and kirschbaum. Considering price, I give this a 91/100

Polyfibre Hexa Blade- This string is now among the top 3 "textured" strings I have ever tried and probably top 7 among all strings I ever tried. It broke at the 15 hr mark but I was bloody impressed with the spin and feel of this string. First off, it plays and feels very soft, yet gives insane spin. It was low-powered, good control and it held tension OK. I was hitting some of the heaviest balls ever with these strings and I will consider switching to this string after my testing is complete. Considering price, I give this a 93/100.

Solinco Tour Bite- Great string for spin but average spin potential. I had pretty high expectations coming in with this string but thought it did not meet all its hype. It has a good amount of power for a poly, good durability and the feel and comfort for a poly is average. When considering price, I give it a 89/100.

Volkl Cyclone- A pretty good string with good spin potential, good control and holds tension average compared to other polys. This string lasted for about 12 hours before breaking. Power is average, feel and comfort is also average. Considering the price, there really should not be a reason one wont try it. When considering price, this string is a 93/100 in my book.

Genesis Hexonic- A very nice spin-oriented co-poly that is low-powered and has great control. Holds tension pretty good and I was amazed how much control this string gave me for a shaped poly. It felt stiffer than some of the other strings I have tried but since both Poly Star and Polyfibre are pretty darn soft, I would still say this one is "soft" when compared to the luxilons and kirschbaums. When you consider the price (especially in reels), this string is a 91/100 in my book.

Luxilon Adrenaline- This string has been out for a while but I haven't been able to get a chance to give you shot yet. This string felt similar to Kirschbaum competition but I havent used that one in about 2 years. The adrenaline is nice and soft, has good control, mediocre spin, holds tension better than some of the other Lux strings but is nothing special. If this string was $100 per reel, I may consider it but this string is like a cyber flash but priced 2x higher. It has a fair amount of poly, decent comfort and feel and broke in about 8 hours for me. Considering price, I give this a 88/100 in my book.

Pro Supex Blue Gear Ultra Spin-
Stringing: Easier than the regular blue gear as it is softer. Still not as easy as syn guts but not that bad. Took me a few min longer than the typical stringjob.

Spin: Very comparable to Blue Gear. I think this string produces as much spin 10 hours in as it does during the first 1 hour. The original blue gear "ridges" sort of wear off after like 6-7 hours or so.. I'd give it a 9/10

Durability: On about 14 hours and its great so far. Would give it a 9/10

Control: Better than the original as I can actually control my balls. Not as good pinpoint accuracy as regular round strings but still pretty good. 8.5/10

Power: This string has some pop with is and would consider the power level to be average. I'd give it a 8/10

Comfort: This is after all a textured poly but it doesnt play as stiff as some Kirschbaums and Luxilons. I'd give it a 8/10 for comfort and feel

This string is great if you have an aggressive baseline game and not recommended for serve and volleyers. My slice serves out-wide were amazing as I had about 8 aces in my match when I typically average about 2-3.

Overall I'd give this string a 90/100

Chace
08-08-2010, 05:35 PM
Nice reviews. Thanks for posting. Have you had a chance to use any of the Solinco strings?

rodrigoamaral
08-08-2010, 05:41 PM
Nice reviews. Thanks for posting. Have you had a chance to use any of the Solinco strings?

No, I have not used them yet..I have a few laying around and hope to try them out really soon.. Hope to add some reviews when I get a chance to playtest them and some other ones

Head Sonic Pro- Sonic Pro strung pretty easy for a poly, a lot easier than some of the textured polys like tour bite and typhoon and overall played fairly soft for a polyester string. This string held tension decent as I broke it at the 8 hr mark. This string brought quite a bit of power and pop with it and had average to below average control. This string in the spin department provides no where as much spin as some of the textured poly’s and would give this string a grade of below average for a poly in the spin department. I felt like this string was great for baseliners and players who like to occasionally come to net as it offered good feel and comfort around the net. When considering price and performance, this string gets a 8.5 out of 10.

Dunlop Black Widow- This string is definitely one of the softer polys out there on the market and offers excellent playability, average durability and below average value. This string does not hold tension as well as the other poly’s such as the Genesis Typhoon. This string offered some good spin potential, average control, excellent power and comfort for a poly and played pretty well overall. This string would work best for the player seeking a soft poly with good feel and comfort and does not mind cutting out the string often. When considering the high price tag and its poor tension stability, this string gets an 8 of out 10.

Genesis Twisted Razor Review
String was strung on Head YouTek Radical Pro at 57 lbs.
Stringing: This is definitely not the easiest string I have ever strung with as much more difficult to string with than Tornado, Barb Wire, Typhoon, Spiky Shark, etc… It took me probably an additional 5-7 min to string so that wasn’t too bad.
Ground Strokes: This string played relatively soft and surprised me quite a bit. I felt I was able to generate excellent spin from the baseline and did not lose any significant control or power with this string. Overall, my ground strokes produced heavier balls than normal and this setup benefited my game.
Volleys: Textured strings typically do not aid in volleys but my volleys were still pretty good. There were a few balls I wasn’t able to put away but not bad!

Serves: Excellent for slice serves but not that great for flat serves
Power: 8/10 Average. For a textured poly, pretty good
Spin: 10/10 Among the best out there
Durability: 9/10 Lasted 10 hours and did not break
Control: 9/10 Pretty good control
Comfort/Feel- 8.5/10 This is a textured poly after all but was a lot softer when playing then I thought it be after stringing
Tension Stability- 9/10 Very Impressive for a poly
Price Performance- 9/10 under $10 for a set or $120 for a reel
If anyone has any questions, I will do my best to answer them. For those interested in trying this, I know TW does not carry it but I just did a quick google search and saw that hola bird sports carries it…

Tourna Big Hitter Blue Rough
String was strung on Head YouTek Radical Pro at 57 lbs.

Stringing: This is definitely easier to string than most other textured polys and was a please to string compared to some other
Ground Strokes: This string played relatively soft and surprised me quite a bit. I felt I was able to generate excellent spin from the baseline. Would of hoped it held tension a bit better and more pop but not bad by any means.
Volleys: Textured strings typically do not aid in volleys but my volleys were still pretty good. Pretty good feel with these bad boys..
Serves: Served not as good as usual but don’t think I can use the string excuse for this one

Power: 8.5/10 Average. For a textured poly, pretty good
Spin: 9/10 Above Average
Durability: 8/10 Broke after 7 hours
Control: 8.5/10 Pretty good control
Comfort/Feel- 9/10 This is a textured poly after all and played relatively soft for one
Tension Stability- 8/10 Felt like this could have been a bit better
Price Performance- 9/10 under $8 for a set or 80 for a reel

Figjam
08-08-2010, 10:27 PM
thanks for the reviews, but I find your rating system, a bit lacking, No offense, but all those ratings seem fairly close to me, how a bout a 1-10 scale so they are more defined??

gflyer
08-09-2010, 08:26 AM
Nice reviews. Thank you for the time you spent doing this.
I agree with you on all the strings I have tried in your list.
My favorite are Energy and Turbo, maybe I give a little edge to Energy because of the feel.
I did love Typhoon, but coming from tennis elbow it was a little too harsh for me.
I am curious about TCS (never tried it).
Is it as comfy on the arm as Energy? Reading your review it sounds like an amazing string.
If you don't consider price and durability, but only perfomance would you still prefer Energy over TCS?
Thank you again.
Cheers
g

rodrigoamaral
08-09-2010, 03:20 PM
thanks for the reviews, but I find your rating system, a bit lacking, No offense, but all those ratings seem fairly close to me, how a bout a 1-10 scale so they are more defined??

i agree with you to some extent but i think that rating it out of 100 is a lot more accurate than just doing it out of 10.. plus if divide my rating by 10, you will get your 1-10 scale..let me know if any of my ratings were misleading..

rodrigoamaral
08-09-2010, 03:29 PM
Nice reviews. Thank you for the time you spent doing this.
I agree with you on all the strings I have tried in your list.
My favorite are Energy and Turbo, maybe I give a little edge to Energy because of the feel.
I did love Typhoon, but coming from tennis elbow it was a little too harsh for me.
I am curious about TCS (never tried it).
Is it as comfy on the arm as Energy? Reading your review it sounds like an amazing string.
If you don't consider price and durability, but only perfomance would you still prefer Energy over TCS?
Thank you again.
Cheers
g

I tried TCS probably around 3 years ago and when I did I recall it being almost as soft a syn gut.. I would definately say it is softer than polystar energy..

If I didnt consider price, I may prefer the TCS over the energy but somehow, the energy gives me some amazing feel and touch at net which the TCS didnt.. i also broke the TCS in about 6 hours in a 18x20 prestige racquet..

Honestly, its hard to say which of the 2 i prefer peformance-wise.. with strings being so personal, all I can say that it is definately worth a try :)

Marcy21
08-09-2010, 04:08 PM
How long does Solinco Tour Bite 17g last for? Because my signum pro tornado 1.23 only last for about 1 week and a half.

genius24
08-09-2010, 04:16 PM
[QUOTE=Marcy21;4930407]How long does Solinco Tour Bite 17g last for? Because my signum pro tornado 1.23 only last for about 1 week and a half.[/QUOTE

it totally depends on how often you play, how hard you hit the ball, the amount of spin you play with, and so many other factor as well. it totally depnds....

ManuGinobili
08-10-2010, 08:25 PM
After alllll that testing, i hope you've found the one? lol.

What about quick comparisons between some PolyStar and Genesis strings?There have not been much (if any) on this forum.

rodrigoamaral
08-12-2010, 12:57 PM
After alllll that testing, i hope you've found the one? lol.

What about quick comparisons between some PolyStar and Genesis strings?There have not been much (if any) on this forum.

lol.. Actually, I just switched racquets so I'm still testing our different strings and setups to see what's best for me.. I'm really digging the Polystar energy right now due to the feel and comfort..

IMO, Polystar and Genesis strings are really different as polystar are soft, classic-type feel for polys with average tension matienance but genesis in my experience hold tension very, very well and are a bit stiffer than poly star but still have good spin, control, etc...

If you'd like, tell me which strings you would like me to compare and I will do it :)

BTW, I'll be adding a few other reviews to this thread this weekend as I left out a few other strings that I feel should be on here..

ManuGinobili
08-13-2010, 02:10 AM
No I was just trying to stir up some heated arguments on the forum LOL... personally I got a reel of Energy and never looked back, tried out some more strings for fun recently and got tired really quick and had to return to it

Great job by the way, very nice assessment, didn't get overly complicated

rodrigoamaral
08-15-2010, 11:10 AM
No I was just trying to stir up some heated arguments on the forum LOL... personally I got a reel of Energy and never looked back, tried out some more strings for fun recently and got tired really quick and had to return to it

Great job by the way, very nice assessment, didn't get overly complicated

thanks :) I just finished testing some other strings so hopefully I'll have a chance to write up a small review tonight..

auzzieizm
08-15-2010, 11:27 AM
can you compare PolyStar Turbo to Pro Supex Blue Gear?? Much appreciated if you can.

rodrigoamaral
08-15-2010, 04:23 PM
can you compare PolyStar Turbo to Pro Supex Blue Gear?? Much appreciated if you can.

When I tried the blue gear, I felt that it gave too much spin (is that possible?)

Comparing the 2 side by side:

Spin: Blue Gear
Power: Turbo
Control: Turbo
Tension Matienance: Blue Gear
Durability: Blue Gear
Comfort: Turbo
Feel: Turbo

When considering price, they are nearly the same.. If you want something a bit softer and more power than blue gear, I would recommend you try out the Turbo.. hope this helps!

auzzieizm
08-15-2010, 04:58 PM
basically, I'm looking for something exactly like Blue Gear that is better for touch shots. I love the control, spin, low power level, durability, tension maintenance, everything really. Its just that I don't always have a feel for the ball and this is especially pronounced when playing against opponents who don't give me much pace.

appreciate the feedback!

rodrigoamaral
08-17-2010, 05:17 PM
basically, I'm looking for something exactly like Blue Gear that is better for touch shots. I love the control, spin, low power level, durability, tension maintenance, everything really. Its just that I don't always have a feel for the ball and this is especially pronounced when playing against opponents who don't give me much pace.

appreciate the feedback!

no worries.. your going to have a tough time finding a good spin-oriented string but good for touch shots as most of these twisted and hex strings, etc.. all are designed for baseliners rather than people who rush to net, thus need more touch.. hope this helps mate

rodrigoamaral
09-07-2010, 03:45 PM
for those interested, I added 3 more reviews to my initial post. If you guys have questions, I will try to answer.

Rodrigo

jmhs
09-07-2010, 05:26 PM
for those interested, I added 3 more reviews to my initial post. If you guys have questions, I will try to answer. Rodrigo

Many thanks for some great info. What gauge Hexa Blade did you use? Was it softer than Pro Line II and Black Code? Do you agree that PL II and Black Code are ofter than Spiky Shark, Spin X, and Typhoon?

Jamesm182
09-08-2010, 04:22 AM
Hi, Great reviiews. Thanks for all the effort you have put into this.

Would it be possible for you to offer any comparisons between the Blue gear ,and the Hexablade?
I'm currently using the Polyfibre black venom, but the tension maintenance isn't too great.

Tennis_Crazed
09-08-2010, 09:40 PM
Thanks for these great reviews! Maybe one suggestion? Rather than giving an overall rating which you adjust based on price for each strings, maybe you can rate a consistent category of characteristics between the strings so that we can judge the actual characteristics of the string..

nickarnold2000
09-09-2010, 04:03 AM
Another great value poly string seems to be Cyclone(made by Volkl?). It's currently sold out at TW and they actually took it off the site as a listing until they more in October.
I can't demo it where I live so what do you guys think about it? :)
Thanks for the reviews, mate.

rodrigoamaral
09-12-2010, 12:43 PM
Many thanks for some great info. What gauge Hexa Blade did you use? Was it softer than Pro Line II and Black Code? Do you agree that PL II and Black Code are ofter than Spiky Shark, Spin X, and Typhoon?

I used the hexa blade in the 1.25mm..Yes, it was A LOT softer than the pro line 2 and black code..

No, I wouldnt say that the PL 2 and black code are softer than those..the Typhoon is pretty soft IMO..

rodrigoamaral
09-12-2010, 12:45 PM
Hi, Great reviiews. Thanks for all the effort you have put into this.

Would it be possible for you to offer any comparisons between the Blue gear ,and the Hexablade?
I'm currently using the Polyfibre black venom, but the tension maintenance isn't too great.

Thanks.

Blue gear has a lot more spin than hexablade but is also stiffer, thus holds tension better than hexablade.. hexablade has less power and better control.. both are good strings and worth a try

JTathlete
10-03-2010, 05:48 PM
since you seem to have a lot of experience with polys, what is something that is soft, has good spin and has good control?

rodrigoamaral
10-17-2010, 11:42 AM
since you seem to have a lot of experience with polys, what is something that is soft, has good spin and has good control?

I would recommend you try Poly Star turbo...

I plan on posting some more reviews in a few days (been busy at work)

kiteboard
10-17-2010, 12:13 PM
What about barb wire?

kiteboard
10-17-2010, 12:47 PM
According to your listed ratings, you still like the poly star energy the most. Have you tried the tour bite or barb wire?

bad_call
10-17-2010, 04:56 PM
rodrigoamaral - very nice reviews. have to try the Polyfibre Hexa Blade now.

rodrigoamaral
10-24-2010, 10:17 AM
According to your listed ratings, you still like the poly star energy the most. Have you tried the tour bite or barb wire?

I tried the tour bite and thought it was just average, not to impressed with the string, great spin but lost tension pretty quick..
just added my short take on the tour bite

clay courter
10-29-2010, 02:23 AM
Rodrigo,

I find your reviews to be quite accurate compared to my feelings regarding 4 or so of the strings that you've listed. If you get the chance, I'd love to read your thoughts about Babolat's new, "Hurricane Feel" string. Thanks for considering this request!

kiteboard
10-29-2010, 07:24 AM
I just tried supex blue gear with vs team, and it had great control and spin.

rodrigoamaral
11-02-2010, 03:25 PM
Rodrigo,

I find your reviews to be quite accurate compared to my feelings regarding 4 or so of the strings that you've listed. If you get the chance, I'd love to read your thoughts about Babolat's new, "Hurricane Feel" string. Thanks for considering this request!

I never tried the hurricane feel by Babolat.. I've been trying out most of the newer polys out there and i know this one is also pretty new but it doesnt get much attention on here..

Mr_Shiver
11-02-2010, 06:21 PM
Very informative. Keep up the good work.

thebuffman
11-13-2010, 04:21 PM
thanks for taking the time to post this review good man.

Racer41c
11-13-2010, 09:22 PM
i agree with you to some extent but i think that rating it out of 100 is a lot more accurate than just doing it out of 10.. plus if divide my rating by 10, you will get your 1-10 scale..let me know if any of my ratings were misleading..

At first I was also wondering about your rating scale, but it just reminds me of Wifred Wong, and I'm ok with that!

rodrigoamaral
11-14-2010, 06:32 PM
thanks for taking the time to post this review good man.

thank you for the kind words.. i hope to add some more reviews in the next week or 2

rodrigoamaral
11-25-2010, 07:07 PM
Hey guys.. sorry for the delay.. Just added 3 more short reviews of the following:
Volkl cyclone
Genesis Hexonic
Luxilon Adrenaline

bad_call
11-25-2010, 07:18 PM
Rodrigo - would be beneficial to add string gauge...cause same string in one gauge can play a bit differently than another gauge.

rodrigoamaral
11-25-2010, 07:23 PM
Rodrigo - would be beneficial to add string gauge...cause same string in one gauge can play a bit differently than another gauge.

I use mostly 17 gauge in all of my strings.. if the string does not come in 17, I use 16 gauge

mozzer
11-26-2010, 05:01 AM
What is your regular string man?

Forgot to add, great reviews man, persuaded me to try PolyStar Energy, what a beautiful string for the price!

Kokopelli
11-26-2010, 11:12 AM
Rodrigo,

First, many thanks for your effort!!!

Second, I'm NOT a modern heavy spinner by any definition. I have an eastern grip and hit a decent pace and flat-trajectory ball with some topspin. As a result, I love natural gut or multi-filament (not necessarily because they are the softest, but because they are the "stretchiest"). With these 2 types of strings, when the ball hits the stringbed, the string seems to stretch out and pocket/absorb/hold on to the ball, thus giving me the sensation of the ball sticking to (pancaking to) the stringbed for a longer period of time. This is the feeling I've been after with a poly.

Of all the strings you listed in your first post, please rank the top-3 that would get me closest to this "pocketing" feeling.

Third, could you please add to your original post (regardless of price):
a) rank the top-5 softest
b) rank the top-5 most powerful
c) rank the top-5 spiniest
d) your top-3 favorites
And just update them as you add more string reviews.

Many Thanks!!!

rodrigoamaral
11-28-2010, 02:10 PM
Rodrigo,

First, many thanks for your effort!!!

Second, I'm NOT a modern heavy spinner by any definition. I have an eastern grip and hit a decent pace and flat-trajectory ball with some topspin. As a result, I love natural gut or multi-filament (not necessarily because they are the softest, but because they are the "stretchiest"). With these 2 types of strings, when the ball hits the stringbed, the string seems to stretch out and pocket/absorb/hold on to the ball, thus giving me the sensation of the ball sticking to (pancaking to) the stringbed for a longer period of time. This is the feeling I've been after with a poly.

Of all the strings you listed in your first post, please rank the top-3 that would get me closest to this "pocketing" feeling.

Third, could you please add to your original post (regardless of price):
a) rank the top-5 softest
b) rank the top-5 most powerful
c) rank the top-5 spiniest
d) your top-3 favorites
And just update them as you add more string reviews.

Many Thanks!!!

a) rank the top-5 softest- Poly Star Energy, polyfibre tcs, polyfibre hexa blade, Mantis power poly and poly star turbo or SPPP
b) rank the top-5 most powerful- poly star energy, mantis, Cyclone, Gen typhoon, kbaum pro line 2
c) rank the top-5 spiniest- pro supex blue gear, polyfibre hexablade, babolat rpm, volkl cyclone, genesis hexonic
d) your top-3 favorites- genesis black magic, poly star energy and signum pro tornado

if you look for that pocketing feeling, i would suggest trying a nice soft poly and hybrid it with a multi

hope this helps

nvottennis
11-28-2010, 03:55 PM
which of the spin strings did you feel held tension the best?

rodrigoamaral
12-01-2010, 07:31 PM
which of the spin strings did you feel held tension the best?

I would say the typhoon, tour bite and blue gear held tension pretty well.. the best of these 3 would probably go to the typhoon

somebeast
12-02-2010, 09:42 PM
what are the top 3 strings for spin from those you reviewed?

rodrigoamaral
12-04-2010, 06:13 PM
what are the top 3 strings for spin from those you reviewed?

Pro Supex blue gear
polyfibre hexa blade
solinco tour bite

kiteboard
12-04-2010, 07:27 PM
I've tried lots of tour bite and bg, bgu, but not hexablade yet, although I have one set. It's very blue. I think it's a hex string. Tour is more soft, more powerful, and not as much spin, or tens. main. than bg. I've also hybrid them with gut, vs team, and with bc, and barb wire. Which do you prefer for match play?

GoodSamaritan
12-04-2010, 07:42 PM
Rodrigo how did you like Tornado compared to Polystar Strike and Turbo? without taking into consideration the price? Those are the three strings I'm looking at right now.

rodrigoamaral
12-07-2010, 05:47 PM
Rodrigo how did you like Tornado compared to Polystar Strike and Turbo? without taking into consideration the price? Those are the three strings I'm looking at right now.

Tornado has better tension matienance, less power, equal spin, Turbo's comfort is best of the three.. durability is tornado is best

all depends on what you are looking for, I'd try all 3 and see what works best for you..

rodrigoamaral
12-07-2010, 05:49 PM
to those following this.. I will be trying out the ultra spin string by pro supex as i just bought some from mid west and will post a review soon..

GoodSamaritan
12-07-2010, 06:44 PM
So I narrowed it down to Tornado and Strike :). How did you feel these two compared in terms of spin, tension maint, feel, and control? Thanks a lot rodrigo!

rodrigoamaral
12-10-2010, 02:11 PM
So I narrowed it down to Tornado and Strike :). How did you feel these two compared in terms of spin, tension maint, feel, and control? Thanks a lot rodrigo!

Here you go:
Spin: Tornado
Tension maint: Tornado
Feel: Strike
Control: Strike

If I was in your shoes, I'd probably try both..

rodrigoamaral
12-19-2010, 05:13 PM
Just added a review of Pro Supex Blue Gear Ultra Spin..

Next up is:
Solinco Barb Wire
361 Nation
Poly Star Strike/ Energy Hybrid

NYTennis
12-21-2010, 12:04 PM
nice reviews. My questions is
I pay with Dunlop 4d 300 tour with 18X20. I currently have all multi techni x-one 17G. and it is good just breaks to quickly and secnd is that spin is not great. What do you recomment from hybrid with soft poly and should I try poly on mains or crosses?

Thanks.

rodrigoamaral
12-22-2010, 05:15 PM
nice reviews. My questions is
I pay with Dunlop 4d 300 tour with 18X20. I currently have all multi techni x-one 17G. and it is good just breaks to quickly and secnd is that spin is not great. What do you recomment from hybrid with soft poly and should I try poly on mains or crosses?

Thanks.

yes, I would recommend a soft poly to hybrid with the multi you are using right now... some nice soft textured polys are poly star turbo, polyfibre tcs or hexablade, cyclone, tornado

Cheers!

The Big Kahuna
12-22-2010, 06:27 PM
Nice work! Well done! I agree with almost all of your impressions here - more or less. I also liked the Hexablde, but found it a bit more "brittle" feeling and slightly "dampened" then Torando - which was my top pick in the end (just beating out Black Code slightly due to better spin potential). It's hard to beat the combination of spin and feel of Tornado.

Some other Polys you may want to review that I found impressive:

Kirschbaum Helix 17
Technifibre Duramix HD 17

Liked both of these a lot, as well. Both in my top five.

kiteboard
12-22-2010, 07:31 PM
What would you rec. for a hybrid of the multi from laserfibre: lsnps, for max. control? Hexablade, tornado, blue gear, blue gear ultra, blackcode, alu power, poly star energy, prince syn gut, syn gut with duraflex?

nvottennis
12-22-2010, 07:39 PM
Just added a review of Pro Supex Blue Gear Ultra Spin..

Next up is:
Solinco Barb Wire
361 Nation
Poly Star Strike/ Energy Hybrid

I think you'll be relatively pleased with the barbwire :)

kiteboard
12-22-2010, 07:46 PM
I sold my reel of barb wire. The spin would take the ball into the middle of the net, without any different feel than a sweet spot shot. Was good hybrid with alu power, for pocketed smack.

nvottennis
12-22-2010, 07:58 PM
I sold my reel of barb wire. The spin would take the ball into the middle of the net, without any different feel than a sweet spot shot. Was good hybrid with alu power, for pocketed smack.

idk about that. I found that I played my best when the string was fresh in my youtek prestige mp. It was the perfect amount of spin to keep it in the court, with enough power to keep it by the baseline

rodrigoamaral
01-02-2011, 08:18 AM
Here are my reviews of the Solinco Barb Wire and a hybrid consisting of Poly star strike/ Poly Star energy

Solinco Barb Wire:
Pretty easy to string for a textured string and played relatively soft compared to some of the Luxs and Kirschbaums. Spin was very good but I found this string to die on me after several hours of play. I feel that the performance was excellent initially and then suddenly went downhill pretty fast. Power level is average and so is control, spin is above average, I cannot comment on durability as once the string died, I cut it out the next day. I dont think it holds tension as well as tour bite but not a bad string overall. Considering price and performance, Id give this string a 90/100. If you like to come in to net, I wont recommend this string but if you like to sit back and grind from the baseline and hit some wicked heavy balls, this is definitely a string to try out.

Poly Star Strike/ Energy Hybrid:
This hybrid played very nicely in my frame as I got the best of two worlds. As many of you know, Poly Star energy is a very soft poly with a lot of power and has amazing comfort and feel for a poly. Strike, IMO, is nice textured poly which has some pretty good spin but holds tension very well compared to the other poly star strings. This setup allowed me to take some good cuts at the ball yet the crosses (energy) really helped soften up the stringbed allowing me to get some good feel at net and improved my control with the strike. Spin potential was above average, control was pretty good, the power level dropped from a full energy stringjob, tension stability was better than a full energy setup, and in terms of durability, string was cut after 10 hours. Overall, when considering the price of these strings, Id give it a 91/100.

nvottennis
01-02-2011, 10:36 AM
Here are my reviews of the Solinco Barb Wire and a hybrid consisting of Poly star strike/ Poly Star energy

Solinco Barb Wire:
Pretty easy to string for a textured string and played relatively soft compared to some of the Luxs and Kirschbaums. Spin was very good but I found this string to die on me after several hours of play. I feel that the performance was excellent initially and then suddenly went downhill pretty fast. Power level is average and so is control, spin is above average, I cannot comment on durability as once the string died, I cut it out the next day. I dont think it holds tension as well as tour bite but not a bad string overall. Considering price and performance, Id give this string a 90/100. If you like to come in to net, I wont recommend this string but if you like to sit back and grind from the baseline and hit some wicked heavy balls, this is definitely a string to try out.

Poly Star Strike/ Energy Hybrid:
This hybrid played very nicely in my frame as I got the best of two worlds. As many of you know, Poly Star energy is a very soft poly with a lot of power and has amazing comfort and feel for a poly. Strike, IMO, is nice textured poly which has some pretty good spin but holds tension very well compared to the other poly star strings. This setup allowed me to take some good cuts at the ball yet the crosses (energy) really helped soften up the stringbed allowing me to get some good feel at net and improved my control with the strike. Spin potential was above average, control was pretty good, the power level dropped from a full energy stringjob, tension stability was better than a full energy setup, and in terms of durability, string was cut after 10 hours. Overall, when considering the price of these strings, Id give it a 91/100.

Exactly how I felt about the barb wire. JW, but did you ever come across a particular string or hybrid that produced more spin/ better tension maintenance than it

kiteboard
01-02-2011, 01:38 PM
Blue gear ultra/blackcode cross.

rodrigoamaral
01-03-2011, 07:22 AM
Exactly how I felt about the barb wire. JW, but did you ever come across a particular string or hybrid that produced more spin/ better tension maintenance than it

Yes! I found Blue gear to produce more spin than barb wire and when it comes to tension maintenance, the blue gear ultra, barb wire, tour bite are all in the same boat and I'd prob give a slight edge to the blue gear ultra as it held tension a bit longer

alupower
01-03-2011, 08:13 PM
I use Yonex RDis 100 Mid... I liked the spin that I got from RPM Blast.. but didn't like the feel. I really like Polystar Energy but didn't get spin like RPM... so I'm going to try Polystar Turbo. Hope I get the feel of Energy + extra spin from Turbo... can't wait to try!

parasailing
01-06-2011, 09:03 AM
Rodrigo - Thanks for your reviews on the polys. It has helped me narrow down the long list out there and I have ordered a bunch of polys listed below based on your suggestion and will post my findings.

What would your suggestion be if I am coming from multis strung around 55 to 57lbs on Babolat PSTGT? In the past, polys would make my shoulder a bit sore after half an hour of hitting so I avoided it but looks like the new copolys coming out are softer.

I was thinking about stringing all of them at 48lbs.

Polyfibre TCS 16L
Poly Star Energy 16L
Polyfibre Hexablade 16L
Tourna Poly Big Hitter Blue
Kirschbaum Pro Line II
Luxilon Alu Power

nvottennis
01-06-2011, 05:56 PM
Yes! I found Blue gear to produce more spin than barb wire and when it comes to tension maintenance, the blue gear ultra, barb wire, tour bite are all in the same boat and I'd prob give a slight edge to the blue gear ultra as it held tension a bit longer

hmm, Sounds great! I just got a set of bgu this week, so I should hopefulyl have it ready to play by Sunday! Can't wait.

nvottennis
01-06-2011, 06:03 PM
Blue gear ultra/blackcode cross.

I have a set of the xcode by technifibre on hand. Would that be just as good to use instead of black code? (I know they are completely different)

rodrigoamaral
01-07-2011, 10:41 AM
I use Yonex RDis 100 Mid... I liked the spin that I got from RPM Blast.. but didn't like the feel. I really like Polystar Energy but didn't get spin like RPM... so I'm going to try Polystar Turbo. Hope I get the feel of Energy + extra spin from Turbo... can't wait to try!

let us know know what you think of the turbo and how long it lasts for you

rodrigoamaral
01-07-2011, 10:43 AM
Rodrigo - Thanks for your reviews on the polys. It has helped me narrow down the long list out there and I have ordered a bunch of polys listed below based on your suggestion and will post my findings.

What would your suggestion be if I am coming from multis strung around 55 to 57lbs on Babolat PSTGT? In the past, polys would make my shoulder a bit sore after half an hour of hitting so I avoided it but looks like the new copolys coming out are softer.

I was thinking about stringing all of them at 48lbs.

Polyfibre TCS 16L
Poly Star Energy 16L
Polyfibre Hexablade 16L
Tourna Poly Big Hitter Blue
Kirschbaum Pro Line II
Luxilon Alu Power

Honestly, the Polyfibre TCS and energy play so soft that you may want to use the same tension that you use with the multis at 55lbs.. for the others you may want to drop a few lbs.. you should notice a HUGE difference in the playability between the energy and the ALU power.

rodrigoamaral
01-07-2011, 10:44 AM
hmm, Sounds great! I just got a set of bgu this week, so I should hopefulyl have it ready to play by Sunday! Can't wait.

let us know what you think of the blue gear ultra..

kiteboard
01-07-2011, 11:01 AM
I have four sticks strung with bgu/blackcode. Three pt57a and one h22. ONe pt is proportionally strung, one is very low mains, and the others are 60/56.

nvottennis
01-07-2011, 11:07 AM
I have four sticks strung with bgu/blackcode. Three pt57a and one h22. ONe pt is proportionally strung, one is very low mains, and the others are 60/56.

so which one did you like best?

nvottennis
01-10-2011, 01:31 PM
THe bgu, although I have to say so far it is the second best string I've tried, is nothing like barbwire's spin. I just cant get that amazing spin with this set (same conditions). On a side note, the playability of the string is impressive though. I might consider a hybrid of the two :)

bsardana
01-13-2011, 09:56 AM
Thank you for posting this thread and reviews. We did try Polystar Energy 17g strings and agree that they are quite unique and excellent to hit with.

I did hybrid them with a gut on mains as well as crosses. On both setups, I am noticing quite a bit of string movement. I was wondering if you string the energy setup a bit higher than regular polys? I usually string the Signum strings - SPPP, Hyperion, Tornado, with gut as the reference string and usually never notice any string movement.

Also, I did monitor the reference tension using an ERT. The tension drop with energy is more than the Signum strings but not that significant. However, string movement is the concern. Appreciate your input.

ManuGinobili
01-13-2011, 07:41 PM
Interesting... Energy is very slippery and always snatchs back into place in a full bed for me.

rodrigoamaral
01-16-2011, 04:17 PM
THe bgu, although I have to say so far it is the second best string I've tried, is nothing like barbwire's spin. I just cant get that amazing spin with this set (same conditions). On a side note, the playability of the string is impressive though. I might consider a hybrid of the two :)

what string did you decide to make the switch to?

rodrigoamaral
01-16-2011, 04:17 PM
Thank you for posting this thread and reviews. We did try Polystar Energy 17g strings and agree that they are quite unique and excellent to hit with.

I did hybrid them with a gut on mains as well as crosses. On both setups, I am noticing quite a bit of string movement. I was wondering if you string the energy setup a bit higher than regular polys? I usually string the Signum strings - SPPP, Hyperion, Tornado, with gut as the reference string and usually never notice any string movement.

Also, I did monitor the reference tension using an ERT. The tension drop with energy is more than the Signum strings but not that significant. However, string movement is the concern. Appreciate your input.

yes, i string the energy a few lbs tighter than other regular polys..

parasailing
01-16-2011, 06:20 PM
I strung up Polystar Energy at 52lbs and so far I like the feel of the string. It definitely pockets the ball well and has a nice pop similar to high end multis. I did notice my arm was a little sore afterwards so I guess I will dial down the tension to say 48lbs to help with that. This is the first poly I have used that feels like a multi which I am quite happy with it.

Next up would be to try the Polyfibre TCS as a comparion.

jkang909
01-17-2011, 09:52 AM
can anyone compare solinco tour bite 16 with babolat pro hurricane 16?
i applied for the full sponsorship with solinco and theyre about to send me demos for tour bite and outlast... but i already tried barb wire and it seemed like there was no sweet spot. also it was extremely low powered with a lot of spin so i always hit the ball short no matter how high i aimed over the net

ahuimanu
01-17-2011, 11:41 AM
To rodrigoamaral and others, thanks for the great info!

You guys may want to also consider this "under the radar" string...

Goldenset Poly Hex 17: co-poly with a hex shape, outstanding spin potential, with fairly good tension maintenance and durability (after 10 hrs of play). Somewhat soft and comfortable string bed at 55lb (Babolat PDR cortex). Relatively low priced ($60 for a reel) and great for either a full or hybrid setups. Great value string for those seeking a Babolat RPM alternative (RPM is also great string, but loses tension fast for me :). Rating: 90/100

Hey guys.. I have been trying many different strings this summer so I decided to write down in a few sentences what I thought of each string. For me, value is very important so I gave each string a number out of 100 of what its value is IMO.

BTW, I'm a 5.0, agressive baseliner who uses a Head MG Radical.. If you guys have some questions, I'll try my best to answer them

Babolat RPM Blast- This string is overhyped. It plays great for the first 4 hours and then loses tension FAST. Good spin, doesnt play too stiff compared to other polys and I had high expectations coming in and was disappointed. About 80% of my friends and people who I know tried it said they were disappointed. When considering the price, this string gets an 85/100 in my book.

Kirschbaum pro line2- A pretty good string that holds tension well and has good control and pop. I like that it comes in both red and black color. When considering the price, I give this string a 90/100 in my book

Msv focus hex- Tried this string and it did not meet my expectations. It felt very plasticky and gave some good spin. The string lacked in overall performance when compared to other textured polys such as Tornado, Turbo, Blue Gear, etc. When considering the price, I give this a 91/100 in my book.

Mantis power poly- Another string that I thought played just Ok. It felt very awkward and it didnt play like a poly. Control was poor and it had too much uncontrollable power. When considering the price, I give this an 87/100 in my book.

Polyfibre TCS- The softest poly I ever tried. Excellent spin production, holds tension ok and durability is not as good as other polys. Performance wise, this is among the best strings I ever tried. I broke this string within 6 hours but for those 6 hours, I was in heaven. If you are looking for something as soft as a syn gut but with good control and spin, try this. Considering the price, I give this a 91/100.

Polystar energy- A pretty unique co-polyester string that provided me with excellent feel and touch for a poly. This string played remarkably soft and had tons of power, maybe even a bit too much at times. Control was average and it held tension average to above-average compared to other polys. It seemed that every time the ball left my racquet, it exploded out and my opponent commented how much quicker the ball was flying than my other racquet. Spin was good and my volleys were improved with the feel of this string. Considering the price, I give this a 94/100

Signum Pro Tornado- An excellent co-poly string that really holds tension remarkably well. Spin was above average and the power was there. Overall, I really enjoyed this string but feel the price on sets is a bit overpriced. Otherwise, I Would recommend this string if you like RPM but feel it looses tension to quick. Considering price, I give this a 92/100

Poly star turbo- I read that this is the same string as the Energy but has like 16 edges or something like that. Well it does because this string provided me A LOT of spin and my balls were pretty heavy when coming of the stringbed. Control was good and power was average for a poly. It held tension pretty well and overall I was pleased with this string. I prefer the Energy over the Turbo but only by a small margin. Considering the price, I give this a 93/100.

parasailing
01-17-2011, 04:41 PM
Honestly, the Polyfibre TCS and energy play so soft that you may want to use the same tension that you use with the multis at 55lbs.. for the others you may want to drop a few lbs.. you should notice a HUGE difference in the playability between the energy and the ALU power.

After 5 hours hitting with Polystar Energy at 52lbs, I would say this is an awesome string. I probably need to string it a bit lower around 50lbs as I still feel a little sore but not as bad as Luxilon at 48lbs even.

This string does indeed explode after striking the ball plus I notice I could drive the ball deeper than I could with a multi and keep most of the balls in play. I got better spin production out of this. If you are saying TCS is even better, can't wait to string it up and play next weekend.

parasailing
01-20-2011, 09:22 AM
Rodrigo - I know you posted your thoughts on the difference between Polyfibre TCS and Polystar Energy.

I had a chance to try TCS at 52lbs but I didn't have the 17 gauge string but 16L so I know it wasn't an exact comparsion to the Energy 17g I strung up at 52lbs but is the TCS really that much softer?

I felt that the TCS was slightly crisper not necessary stiffer and was a bit less power but not sure if that difference can be attributed to the slight difference between the gauges.

Head057
01-20-2011, 10:04 PM
I have narrowed it down to
sp tornado
solinco tour bite
cyclone
sppp
which is better for power spin and tension maintenance

airman88
01-20-2011, 10:05 PM
Typhoon is better than all of those at all three in my opinion. And it's not even close. Haven't tried cyclone though.

Head057
01-20-2011, 10:12 PM
the thing is i cant get the typhoon here in hawaii unless i ship.

rodrigoamaral
01-22-2011, 04:44 PM
After 5 hours hitting with Polystar Energy at 52lbs, I would say this is an awesome string. I probably need to string it a bit lower around 50lbs as I still feel a little sore but not as bad as Luxilon at 48lbs even.

This string does indeed explode after striking the ball plus I notice I could drive the ball deeper than I could with a multi and keep most of the balls in play. I got better spin production out of this. If you are saying TCS is even better, can't wait to string it up and play next weekend.

I wouldnt say the TCS is better, it is just a little bit different..

rodrigoamaral
01-22-2011, 04:46 PM
the thing is i cant get the typhoon here in hawaii unless i ship.

I think on the big auction site, the shipping is only like a $1 a set..

kiteboard
01-22-2011, 04:57 PM
How would you compare hexablade to polystar energy?

Head057
01-22-2011, 09:30 PM
thanks for the info rod

rodrigoamaral
01-23-2011, 08:47 AM
How would you compare hexablade to polystar energy?

they are both very different strings despite being both soft strings.. Here is a quick comparison of the two strings:

Spin: Hexablade, hands down
Power: Energy
Control: Hexa blade
Feel: Energy
Comfort: Energy
Tension Stability: Same
Durability: Energy
Control: Hexa Blade
Price /Performance: Energy

Hope this helps..

kiteboard
01-23-2011, 08:53 AM
If hexablade has better control, why do you like energy more?

rodrigoamaral
01-23-2011, 09:02 AM
I prefer feel and comfort over control..

kiteboard
01-23-2011, 09:04 AM
I hybrid blue gear ultra with hexablade. Good control.

rodrigoamaral
01-23-2011, 09:05 AM
I hybrid blue gear ultra with hexablade. Good control.

hows the spin and comfort with that hybrid?

kiteboard
01-23-2011, 10:05 AM
Comfort is great, (3.5hr with it yesterday), with the pt57a, and I put it into the h22 today, which is far stiffer, but have not tried it yet. Spin is ok, but it's an 18 x 20! Proportionally strung mains, and first three down from top: 45lb, rest of crosses: 58lbs.

More power, a little stiffer, but still good control/spin. Soft controlled pocketing, with sometimes precise accuracy, and sometimes not.

parasailing
01-23-2011, 11:02 AM
they are both very different strings despite being both soft strings.. Here is a quick comparison of the two strings:

Spin: Hexablade, hands down
Power: Energy
Control: Hexa blade
Feel: Energy
Comfort: Energy
Tension Stability: Same
Durability: Energy
Control: Hexa Blade
Price /Performance: Energy

Hope this helps..

rodrigoamaral (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/member.php?u=81308) - Can you do quick comparison between Polyfibre TCS and Polystar Energy? I tried giving TCS another shot yesterday but after 30 more minutes, switched back to Energy. Mainly due to it being a bit more comfortable and more pop hitting with it. Only downside was the tension loss I see after 8 hours or so hitting with Energy.

01-23-2011, 02:25 PM
Have you tried Pro Supex Big Ace Micro or Revo?
thanks

pepka
01-23-2011, 02:33 PM
Anyone hit with Signum Pro Plasma Pure? It suposed to be a bit more powerful and a bit more comfortable than the original orange SPPP. Any truth to that?

Doubles
01-23-2011, 02:54 PM
Anyone hit with Signum Pro Plasma Pure? It suposed to be a bit more powerful and a bit more comfortable than the original orange SPPP. Any truth to that?

Everything that I heard said that it was not the same. It had no feel, and snapped more easily...

pepka
01-23-2011, 03:46 PM
^ Thanks. One less string to test, when i'll get healthy.

rodrigoamaral
01-24-2011, 05:27 PM
rodrigoamaral (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/member.php?u=81308) - Can you do quick comparison between Polyfibre TCS and Polystar Energy? I tried giving TCS another shot yesterday but after 30 more minutes, switched back to Energy. Mainly due to it being a bit more comfortable and more pop hitting with it. Only downside was the tension loss I see after 8 hours or so hitting with Energy.

If you are looking for power, feel, comfort and pop, Poly Star Energy is a much better string IMO.. however if you want spin and can generate enough power, then the TCS is a good string.. Both are good and do lose tension but I would recommend increasing the tension and you should be good...

I personally prefer the Energy between the 2..

rodrigoamaral
01-24-2011, 05:28 PM
Have you tried Pro Supex Big Ace Micro or Revo?
thanks

I tried the Micro a while ago and really liked it.. Good power, spin, great feel and comfort and played like a soft luxilon but soft and holds tension well.. I will write up a review in a few days..

parasailing
01-24-2011, 07:56 PM
If you are looking for power, feel, comfort and pop, Poly Star Energy is a much better string IMO.. however if you want spin and can generate enough power, then the TCS is a good string.. Both are good and do lose tension but I would recommend increasing the tension and you should be good...

I personally prefer the Energy between the 2..

Thanks for the great feedback. I just got a set of each from TW and will test it out this weekend to see if I get the same results as you do.

Icedorb217
01-24-2011, 08:58 PM
Rodrigo in your opinion whats better SpinX or Energy?

NLBwell
01-24-2011, 09:52 PM

The Pure seems slightly more comfortable, but I didn't notice much difference between the strings. No problems stringing and held up fine - just like the non-Pure. If you've tried regular SPPP, there isn't much reason to try the Pure.

pepka
01-25-2011, 02:54 PM
^ Thanks again. I tried the SPPP and liked it a lot. If it wasn't for my efed up shoulder (thanks BBAP), i would probably play with full poly setup. Now im looking for a nice main for my multi cross. I'm thinking of trying Mosquito Bite/MCS setup. Big thanks for this thread Rodrigo :-)

01-25-2011, 05:33 PM
I tried the Micro a while ago and really liked it.. Good power, spin, great feel and comfort and played like a soft luxilon but soft and holds tension well.. I will write up a review in a few days..

thanks, as I have enjoyed BAM, but have not tried the Revo version yet. I guess few have tried that one yet.

rodrigoamaral
01-25-2011, 05:37 PM
Thanks for the great feedback. I just got a set of each from TW and will test it out this weekend to see if I get the same results as you do.

No problem.. Test them out and let us know your take on the 2 strings

rodrigoamaral
01-25-2011, 05:39 PM
Rodrigo in your opinion whats better SpinX or Energy?

they are completely different strings IMO with the only similarity being they are both polys. Are you looking for a soft poly with a lot of power and good comfort, then try Energy.. if you want control, spin and tension stability, then go with Spin X..

rodrigoamaral
01-25-2011, 05:39 PM
thanks, as I have enjoyed BAM, but have not tried the Revo version yet. I guess few have tried that one yet.

If you do decide to try the revo, be sure to let us know what you think of it

01-25-2011, 05:43 PM
If you do decide to try the revo, be sure to let us know what you think of it

I have to try it cause it is supposed to be better than Big Ace normal, but it may not be better than big ace micro (BAM).
I will try to order some tonite actually.
All I have now is Cyber flash, which is pretty good too.

rodrigoamaral
01-26-2011, 05:48 PM
I have to try it cause it is supposed to be better than Big Ace normal, but it may not be better than big ace micro (BAM).
I will try to order some tonite actually.
All I have now is Cyber flash, which is pretty good too.

if you do try it, be sure to add your review to share with others..

rodrigoamaral
01-26-2011, 05:59 PM
A few people have asked me to post a quick review on this showing my thoughts on this string so here it is:

I feel Big Ace Micro had similar playing characteristics to WC silverstring or even a Luxilon Timo but really shined in the tension stability department. It strung very easy and broke on me at the 11 hour mark. I felt that this string really stood out in the feel/comfort category as well as power and tension stability. It had good control, spin was good and overall played nicely.. I had some good pop on my serves and was able to serve and volley successfully a few more times than I typically do. When considering the price of $80 per reel, I give string a 92/100 in my book...

At the pricepoint it is offered at, there aren't too many strings, if any, that perform better at a lower price

Fedace
01-26-2011, 06:21 PM
If you think RPM loses tension too quickly then what will happen with 18 G RPM blast ?? lose tension even quicker ??

Fedace
01-26-2011, 06:23 PM
What if i want same power as Pro hurr tour but want more control and spin, which poly do i go for ?? PHT has very nice power but control isn't always great, and spin is average.

Doubles
01-26-2011, 06:29 PM
What if i want same power as Pro hurr tour but want more control and spin, which poly do i go for ?? PHT has very nice power but control isn't always great, and spin is average.

SPPP maybe? I never had problems with control while using PHT...

kiteboard
01-26-2011, 06:30 PM
blue gear ultra/hexablade crosses a little higher in tens.

01-26-2011, 06:46 PM
A few people have asked me to post a quick review on this showing my thoughts on this string so here it is:

I feel Big Ace Micro had similar playing characteristics to WC silverstring or even a Luxilon Timo but really shined in the tension stability department. It strung very easy and broke on me at the 11 hour mark. I felt that this string really stood out in the feel/comfort category as well as power and tension stability. It had good control, spin was good and overall played nicely.. I had some good pop on my serves and was able to serve and volley successfully a few more times than I typically do. When considering the price of $80 per reel, I give string a 92/100 in my book...

At the pricepoint it is offered at, there aren't too many strings, if any, that perform better at a lower price

I have Revo and Black Magic on order and en route for delivery as we speak.

Fedace
01-26-2011, 06:47 PM
I have Revo and Black Magic on order and en route for delivery as we speak.

Do you guys feel like experimenting with different strings so many times hurts your game ?? I feel like if i try out too many different stings, my game level goes down and i lose consistancy.

nvottennis
01-26-2011, 07:43 PM
Do you guys feel like experimenting with different strings so many times hurts your game ?? I feel like if i try out too many different stings, my game level goes down and i lose consistancy.

Definently. I playtest a new string out every two weeks for the past year, so the string that I consider my "normal set up" is now an awkward set up that requires time to get back into

nickarnold2000
01-26-2011, 09:05 PM
I think that's a given. I don't see highly ranked players changing strings all the time - they're actually busy working on their games!

01-27-2011, 02:58 AM

I would say I actually experiment very little, given that I have gone thru 2 reels of Big Ace Micro over the last 1.5 yrs. In that time I did hybrid with blue gear twice and have tried 2 sets of CF.

Really the main reason my last order was only black magic and revo was cause tennis depot was sold out of Big Ace Micro due to high demand! and the high praise I hear for those 2 strings. Otherwise I would have ordered another reel of BAM again with one BM and one Revo to try.

By the way I like the blue gear fine but felt the BAM was plenty on topspin while slightly softer and more playable, with better tension maintenance.
CF was crisp as everyone says, but IMO BAM is slightly softer and more playable or touch.
I don't think real crisp is very high on my lists.

One thing I have to mention in respect to MTM strokes is that when I played more traditional strokes, the string, the tensions, the diameter, and everything were all sooo critical to me playing my best tennis. But now with more MTM or modern strokes, they are so much more forgiving, so that I can just about pick up anyones racket with whatever the set up and still play quite well. Maybe not my best, but 90-95% is no problem these days with what ever string and racket and that 90% is better than I played before at my very best.

bad_call
01-27-2011, 06:36 AM

no since i have different strings in each racquet. if a string doesn't have enough positive attributes, it gets "cut". then play is resumed with a keeper setup.

btw - had 3 different string setups in 3 different racquets last play time out. :shock: would narrow it down to 2 sticks maybe in a money tourney. :)

jmhs
01-27-2011, 04:26 PM
Thanks for your excellent reviews.

1. I like Energy a lot, especially the softness, but it might give too much power. I'd like to try the Turbo...is it as soft as Energy?

2. Do you consider Cyclone to be nearly as soft as Energy?

rodrigoamaral
01-31-2011, 04:50 PM
Thanks for your excellent reviews.

1. I like Energy a lot, especially the softness, but it might give too much power. I'd like to try the Turbo...is it as soft as Energy?

2. Do you consider Cyclone to be nearly as soft as Energy?

Sorry for the delayed response

1. Yes, the turbo is as soft as the energy, just gives more spin and a bit less power.
2. I didnt think the cyclone was as soft as the energy, still soft for a poly though

Patm*10
02-02-2011, 07:25 AM
Rodrigo,
Thanks for your reviews. I tried Polystar energy full bed at 45 lbs and I love it. The power, feel, comfort are just great. I can still get great spin off of my FH. I am just wondering to try turbo mains and energy crosses hybrid to get little more spin off of my SHB. Did you try this hybrid set up? How does it play on BH slices? Do you think it's worth a try?

I definitely don't want to loose any significant power off of energy. If there is significant loss of power, then I am just happy with energy.

parasailing
02-02-2011, 10:26 AM
Rodrigo,
Thanks for your reviews. I tried Polystar energy full bed at 45 lbs and I love it. The power, feel, comfort are just great. I can still get great spin off of my FH. I am just wondering to try turbo mains and energy crosses hybrid to get little more spin off of my SHB. Did you try this hybrid set up? How does it play on BH slices? Do you think it's worth a try?

I definitely don't want to loose any significant power off of energy. If there is significant loss of power, then I am just happy with energy.

I am surprised that you strung it at 45lbs. Did you not experience loss of tension? I strung my at 52lbs and after 6 hours of play, it lost significant tension.

Patm*10
02-02-2011, 05:02 PM
I am surprised that you strung it at 45lbs. Did you not experience loss of tension? I strung my at 52lbs and after 6 hours of play, it lost significant tension.

I was little bit worried about tension loss after reading so many posts. But to my surprise I didn't notice any significant loss to a point that I can't control my shots. It's been couple of weeks, played few times singles and couple of times doubles, in all about 15 hours. I just love it, the feel, power, touch at net and comfort. I always string polys in low 40s. String pattern is 16x20, which helps for strings not to move too much. Was playing with 16x18 with BB rough, PHT, RPM blast with such a low tension and was loosing control after about 6 to 8 hours of playing. But with 16x20, it's definitely better and Energy is way better in my opinion.

rodrigoamaral
02-02-2011, 07:09 PM
Rodrigo,

I tried the energy mains and turbo crosses.. never tried it vice versa.. I do think its def worth a try as they are both pretty good strings..

mctennis
02-02-2011, 09:14 PM
Rodrigo, great string reviews. I appreciate all the great info. Keep up the good work.

JT_2eighty
02-03-2011, 05:50 AM
Nice thread Rodrigo. In your opinion... what's the best poly for control for flat hitting?

mrtrinh
02-03-2011, 09:23 AM
hey rodrigo, have you had a chance to hit with the new luxilon savage?

OldButGame
02-03-2011, 01:53 PM
I do this with racquets,...:cry:

ser_renely
02-03-2011, 03:07 PM
thanks for th reviews :)

ser_renely
02-03-2011, 04:00 PM
ohhh what tension do you normally string at?

I have been using MSV hex for a while. I like it but I don't feel I get enough power off of it with the tension I am currently stringing at. I am still dropping tension - 52 now. I don't think my racquet generates a lot of power. What were your thoughts on its power level?

Thanks

BigT
02-03-2011, 05:17 PM

I have been testing strings for about the last 3 years, and still have a whole bunch in line. I am waiting to settle on one set-up.

rodrigoamaral
02-03-2011, 07:19 PM
Rodrigo, great string reviews. I appreciate all the great info. Keep up the good work.

Thank you for the warm words. I really appreciate it and look forward to reviewing more strings once the weather gets better

rodrigoamaral
02-03-2011, 07:20 PM
Nice thread Rodrigo. In your opinion... what's the best poly for control for flat hitting?

anything that is not textured or twisted.. a good one that comes to mind is SPPP

rodrigoamaral
02-03-2011, 07:21 PM
hey rodrigo, have you had a chance to hit with the new luxilon savage?

sorry, never tried it...

rodrigoamaral
02-03-2011, 07:22 PM
ohhh what tension do you normally string at?

I have been using MSV hex for a while. I like it but I don't feel I get enough power off of it with the tension I am currently stringing at. I am still dropping tension - 52 now. I don't think my racquet generates a lot of power. What were your thoughts on its power level?

Thanks

I normally string at about 56-60lbs depending on the string.. I think the Hex is average on power.. you may want to lower tension, get a thinner gauge string or try something else..

parasailing
02-05-2011, 09:37 PM
Finally strung up both of my PSTGT racquets, one with Polystar Energy 17 and the other with Polyfibre TCS 17. I can't wait till tomorrow to give both of these racquets a whirl to see which string hits better.

One thing I did notice is that Polyfibre TCS is easy this poly was to string up. It almost felt like a multi with the amount of flexibility and was such an easy string to weave crosses with that I sometimes I though, is this really a poly. :shock:

Polystar Energy wasn't too bad but definitely not as easy to weave as Polyfibre TCS.

rodrigoamaral
02-06-2011, 05:18 AM
Finally strung up both of my PSTGT racquets, one with Polystar Energy 17 and the other with Polyfibre TCS 17. I can't wait till tomorrow to give both of these racquets a whirl to see which string hits better.

One thing I did notice is that Polyfibre TCS is easy this poly was to string up. It almost felt like a multi with the amount of flexibility and was such an easy string to weave crosses with that I sometimes I though, is this really a poly. :shock:

Polystar Energy wasn't too bad but definitely not as easy to weave as Polyfibre TCS.

let us know how they hit..

parasailing
02-06-2011, 08:23 PM
let us know how they hit..

So I got a chance to hit with both TCS and Energy both strung up at 54lbs and 17 gauge.

Energy has a bit more pop and is a tad softer than TCS. TCS has better control and spin production, and a bit harder on the arm though not by much.

The last test I had Energy at 17 gauge and TCS at 16 gauge, I prefered Energy but I knew it wasn't a fair comparsion. So this time, both were strung at the same tension and gauge and I love TCS. Energy is definitely a keeper but I find the balls sail a bit more and lack the control that TCS offered. Now the question will be how long before it loses tension stability.

For the price, Energy is a great value but for top performance, TCS is better. I still have two more strings to compare, Kirschbaum Pro Line 2 and Tourna Big Hitter.

mrtrinh
02-06-2011, 09:34 PM
Rodrigo, I currently play with adrenaline/gosen og hybrid at 54/56 and just bought a set of signum tornado because ive heard such great things about it. I also played with rpm but like your review, I found it loss tension way too fast.

My question is how stiff is signum pro tornado compared to adrenaline and rpm blast? I found these 2 relatively soft and I'm looking for a string thats slightly stiffer and with a little more pop. What tension would you recommend for the signum strings? and I will be using this as a hybrid with gosen

rodrigoamaral
02-07-2011, 05:51 PM
So I got a chance to hit with both TCS and Energy both strung up at 54lbs and 17 gauge.

Energy has a bit more pop and is a tad softer than TCS. TCS has better control and spin production, and a bit harder on the arm though not by much.

The last test I had Energy at 17 gauge and TCS at 16 gauge, I prefered Energy but I knew it wasn't a fair comparsion. So this time, both were strung at the same tension and gauge and I love TCS. Energy is definitely a keeper but I find the balls sail a bit more and lack the control that TCS offered. Now the question will be how long before it loses tension stability.

For the price, Energy is a great value but for top performance, TCS is better. I still have two more strings to compare, Kirschbaum Pro Line 2 and Tourna Big Hitter.

thanks for your detailed review and glad to hear you enjoyed both strings..I agree with a lot of what you mentioned but both strings are pretty good and you cant really beat the price of the energy.. Happy Hitting!

rodrigoamaral
02-07-2011, 05:52 PM
Rodrigo, I currently play with adrenaline/gosen og hybrid at 54/56 and just bought a set of signum tornado because ive heard such great things about it. I also played with rpm but like your review, I found it loss tension way too fast.

My question is how stiff is signum pro tornado compared to adrenaline and rpm blast? I found these 2 relatively soft and I'm looking for a string thats slightly stiffer and with a little more pop. What tension would you recommend for the signum strings? and I will be using this as a hybrid with gosen

i would say the tornado is about as soft as the adrenaline and the rpm blast, maybe a tad softer..I would recommend stringing the signum similar to the others as they are all co-polys.. tornado only holds it tension a little better.
Happy Hitting!

parasailing
02-07-2011, 06:43 PM
thanks for your detailed review and glad to hear you enjoyed both strings..I agree with a lot of what you mentioned but both strings are pretty good and you cant really beat the price of the energy.. Happy Hitting!

If you have to choose your favorite from all the ones you have tested so far, what would it be assuming price is not the issue?

nvottennis
02-07-2011, 07:38 PM
i would say the tornado is about as soft as the adrenaline and the rpm blast, maybe a tad softer..I would recommend stringing the signum similar to the others as they are all co-polys.. tornado only holds it tension a little better.
Happy Hitting!

agreed, tornado holds much better than adrenaline and is better imo. Adrenaline barely left an impression on me

parasailing
02-08-2011, 02:21 PM
Rodrigo - Have you played with any other Polyfibre strings aside from TCS and Hexablade? I noticed there are four additional strings in their poly line up and will order them and provide a detailed review. If you have hit with any one of these and it is not to your liking, I will pass since your assessments have been spot on.

Polyfibre TCS Rapid
Polyfibre Viper
Polyfibre Black Venom
Polyfibre Cobra

rodrigoamaral
02-08-2011, 07:04 PM
If you have to choose your favorite from all the ones you have tested so far, what would it be assuming price is not the issue?

I really enjoyed a lot of the strings I tested.. some that stand out are Genesis Hexonic, black magic, tour bite, energy, black venom and tcs.. Energy is probably my favorite

rodrigoamaral
02-08-2011, 07:05 PM
Rodrigo - Have you played with any other Polyfibre strings aside from TCS and Hexablade? I noticed there are four additional strings in their poly line up and will order them and provide a detailed review. If you have hit with any one of these and it is not to your liking, I will pass since your assessments have been spot on.

Polyfibre TCS Rapid
Polyfibre Viper
Polyfibre Black Venom
Polyfibre Cobra

Only tried the Black Venom from the list and it was a very good string, an updated/better version of TCS as it held tension better and gave more spin.. havent tried the others though..

parasailing
02-08-2011, 08:54 PM
I really enjoyed a lot of the strings I tested.. some that stand out are Genesis Hexonic, black magic, tour bite, energy, black venom and tcs.. Energy is probably my favorite

What is it about Energy that you like more than all the other strings you have tried? I found TCS has everything Energy has but a little less power and more spin production.

hescobal
02-08-2011, 08:55 PM
Any chance to try poly star turbo/strike hybrid? I figured it would help maintain tension and still keep the high spin characteristics that the energy/strike combo didn't

J_aces
02-08-2011, 09:02 PM
For a fullbed poly which has the best tension maintenance in your opinion. You've got me interested in polystar energy but ppl say it loses tension a bit fast. What would you recommend?

mrtrinh
02-08-2011, 09:09 PM
Happy Hitting!

I think tornado is my new favorite string! just hit with it today and all I can say is wow. So much pop and very crisp. This is the poly string I have been searching for.

parasailing
02-08-2011, 10:58 PM
Any chance to try poly star turbo/strike hybrid? I figured it would help maintain tension and still keep the high spin characteristics that the energy/strike combo didn't

I am trying to avoid using hybrid for the time being until I figure out which ones are the top 5. Rodrigo got me all interested in polys after his great reviews on polys that are soft. I have reviewed many multis in the past and only recently have I ventured into the land of polys but had to find ones that were soft and not harsh like Alu Power.

I just need to finish reviewing the other Polystar and Polyfibre strings to narrow down which ones play really well before I go down that hybrid road. There are just way too many strings for one person to try out :).

acer4tennis
02-09-2011, 03:26 AM

If you ever try this combo, let us know how it's plays. I think, you are right, you would get the best from both worlds.

JT_2eighty
02-09-2011, 07:29 AM
I am trying to avoid using hybrid for the time being until I figure out which ones are the top 5. Rodrigo got me all interested in polys after his great reviews on polys that are soft. I have reviewed many multis in the past and only recently have I ventured into the land of polys but had to find ones that were soft and not harsh like Alu Power.

I just need to finish reviewing the other Polystar and Polyfibre strings to narrow down which ones play really well before I go down that hybrid road. There are just way too many strings for one person to try out :).

I remember your multi reviews being quite helpful and accurate; looking forward to see your top 5 soft co-polys. I just strung some BHB to see how soft it plays (although in a gut hyb).

parasailing
02-09-2011, 10:27 AM
I remember your multi reviews being quite helpful and accurate; looking forward to see your top 5 soft co-polys. I just strung some BHB to see how soft it plays (although in a gut hyb).

Yeah I also got Tourna BHB but have not had a chance to string them up yet. My only concern with it is that it won't be a fair comparison as all the other ones I tried are 1.20mm whereas the 17 gauge version of BHB is more like 1.25mm.

rodrigoamaral
02-11-2011, 12:18 PM
What is it about Energy that you like more than all the other strings you have tried? I found TCS has everything Energy has but a little less power and more spin production.

It just has a unique feel and touch to it.. Hard to explain, lol

rodrigoamaral
02-11-2011, 12:19 PM

Sounds like a interesting hybrid.. Hopefully, I'll get to test it sometime soon and I'll report back

rodrigoamaral
02-11-2011, 12:20 PM
For a fullbed poly which has the best tension maintenance in your opinion. You've got me interested in polystar energy but ppl say it loses tension a bit fast. What would you recommend?

It does lose tension a bit quicker than other strings.. polys that holds tension well are Genesis Typhoon, SPPP

JT_2eighty
02-11-2011, 12:23 PM
It does lose tension a bit quicker than other strings.. polys that holds tension well are Genesis Typhoon, SPPP

How do WC Scorpion (or any WC poly) and tourna BHB compare, as far as tension-loss?

rodrigoamaral
02-13-2011, 01:53 PM
How do WC Scorpion (or any WC poly) and tourna BHB compare, as far as tension-loss?
I think the weisscannon strings hold tension better than the tourna BHB...

02-13-2011, 06:25 PM
I think the weisscannon strings hold tension better than the tourna BHB...

What are people saying about cyber flash these days?

I heard so much about it last year, figured I should give it a go.
I've got it strung at 58 in my Radical OS and I think it is just ok.
I just dont think it has that bite I've gotten used to with BAM.
I'm pretty sure it does not have the feel of Big Ace Micro.
Think I'm going to cut it out and replace with black magic or revo pretty soon.
I would get BAM in there ASAP, but my source has no reels, so
figured this is a good time to test the waters.
Guess I should order some Hexonic and scorpion as well??

hescobal
02-13-2011, 07:42 PM
SrtSounds like a interesting hybrid.. Hopefully, I'll get to test it sometime soon and I'll report back
I'm gonna try this as well soon, but would like to hear what your take is when you get a chance. I did end up trying a hybrid of turbo/msv hex and it seemed like it heled keep it firmer than a full turbo setup, but kinda missed the power.

So I might lower the tension on the msv hex cross 2lbs to see if I can get a slight Increase

rodrigoamaral
02-14-2011, 04:06 PM
What are people saying about cyber flash these days?

I heard so much about it last year, figured I should give it a go.
I've got it strung at 58 in my Radical OS and I think it is just ok.
I just dont think it has that bite I've gotten used to with BAM.
I'm pretty sure it does not have the feel of Big Ace Micro.
Think I'm going to cut it out and replace with black magic or revo pretty soon.
I would get BAM in there ASAP, but my source has no reels, so
figured this is a good time to test the waters.
Guess I should order some Hexonic and scorpion as well??

I think the cyberflash craze has gone down here on the boards but it is still a pretty good string and a great value..It's got good spin, control and power for a poly..

Cant go wrong with either the Hexonic or Scorpion.. I really enjoyed the Hexonic when i tried it a few months back..

02-14-2011, 04:24 PM
I think the cyberflash craze has gone down here on the boards but it is still a pretty good string and a great value..It's got good spin, control and power for a poly..

Cant go wrong with either the Hexonic or Scorpion.. I really enjoyed the Hexonic when i tried it a few months back..

So I'm thinking Black Magic, Hexonic, and Scorpion for some stuff to try and you think these are as good or better than my current fav, BAM?

Head057
02-15-2011, 12:52 AM
which is a overall better string
hyperion sppp or tornado?

JT_2eighty
02-15-2011, 01:48 PM
So I'm thinking Black Magic, Hexonic, and Scorpion for some stuff to try and you think these are as good or better than my current fav, BAM?

You should give em a try, let us know!

Also btw, I see a place that has BAM reels in stock... I guess since TW doesn't carry Pro Supex it's okay to say who? (it's the one in the 'mid'-w of the usa).

rodrigoamaral
02-15-2011, 05:40 PM

They are all pretty good strings.. Out of the 4, I would not be surprised if you like the BAM either the best or the 2nd best..

rodrigoamaral
02-15-2011, 05:40 PM
which is a overall better string
hyperion sppp or tornado?

Tornado.. hands down

Head057
02-15-2011, 07:21 PM
does the tour bite come close to the tornado at all or is the tornado hands down better.

rodrigoamaral
02-16-2011, 06:44 PM
does the tour bite come close to the tornado at all or is the tornado hands down better.

IMO, tornado is better in every category..

Jeepers
02-23-2011, 04:35 AM
Rodrigo, could you compare black venom to hexablade?
Also, have you tried black venom rough?

Boricua
02-23-2011, 09:15 AM
Hi Rodrigo! They are made from the same material. What does Polystar :)Energy provide that Turbo does not that makes you prefer it?

Boricua
02-23-2011, 09:17 AM
Rodrigo, what tension would you use in Energy to deal with its tension loss?

How does Energy compare to Weiss cannon Black5Edege>

parasailing
02-23-2011, 11:32 AM
Rodrigo, what tension would you use in Energy to deal with its tension loss?

You can probably string it higher than normal and that might get you maybe a couple more hours of playing time but the tension drop is pretty significant when it happens. I get about 6 to 8 hours of hitting before I notice the decrease in playability to the point where it is uncontrollable.

Boricua
02-23-2011, 11:41 AM
You can probably string it higher than normal and that might get you maybe a couple more hours of playing time but the tension drop is pretty significant when it happens. I get about 6 to 8 hours of hitting before I notice the decrease in playability to the point where it is uncontrollable.

Is this Polystar Energy so good in performance that it is worth so dramatic change in tension loss? In other words, are those 6 to 8 hours of playing time great and worth paying the money for these strings?:)

Boricua
02-23-2011, 11:50 AM

Are these 6 to 8 hourrs that you get of playing time great and worth buying a set of Energy?
Is Energy much better than other copolys thta have less tension loss?:)

parasailing
02-23-2011, 12:33 PM
Are these 6 to 8 hourrs that you get of playing time great and worth buying a set of Energy?

If you have your own stringer, 6 to 8 hours is pretty good considering this is a really cheap string. If you buy a reel, the price drops considerably and represents great value.

I really appreciate Rodrigo's effort in testing so many of these different brands of strings as it would never occur to me to even try some of these out. I am still testing out these new copolys and planning on adding my review of Dunlop Black Widow and Polyfibre Viper review stringtests to this wonderful thread.

rodrigoamaral
02-23-2011, 07:05 PM
Rodrigo, could you compare black venom to hexablade?
Also, have you tried black venom rough?

Black venom is different than hexablade as black venom has better control and comfort and more power while hexablade has better spin.. I also thought the black venom was more durable and held tension better

rodrigoamaral
02-23-2011, 07:06 PM
Hi Rodrigo! They are made from the same material. What does Polystar :)Energy provide that Turbo does not that makes you prefer it?

like the unique feel and comfort than the energy provides... I'm a player who can generate my own spin so spin is not a huge factor for me..

rodrigoamaral
02-23-2011, 07:07 PM

yes, they are definately worth it and I'm sure you will like the energy if you seeking power, feel or comfort added in your game..

parasailing
02-23-2011, 09:11 PM
Black venom is different than hexablade as black venom has better control and comfort and more power while hexablade has better spin.. I also thought the black venom was more durable and held tension better

Have you had a chance to try Polyfibre Viper? If so, how would you compare it to the Polyfibre TCS and Black Venom?

ManuGinobili
02-24-2011, 12:15 AM
Is this Polystar Energy so good in performance that it is worth so dramatic change in tension loss? In other words, are those 6 to 8 hours of playing time great and worth paying the money for these strings?:)

This is like asking why people do drugs...

dekko1
02-24-2011, 01:02 AM

I play with Polystar turbo, which IMO feels a bit crispier than Energy, but overall they are the same string, but turbo has edges.
It never lasts more than 3-4 hours in my racket, so I dont know how it feels after 6 hours of playing. But even so, I do a little prestrech of the string and string it 2lbs higher than another poly.
Turbo is the best poly i have ever played with. Last year I tried a bunch of polys, and I recently ran out of my 1st 200meter reel, and have tried some other polys. Nothing plays like Turbo, and I am about to order a 400m reel, such a good value for such a good string.

Boricua
02-24-2011, 02:58 AM
yes, they are definately worth it and I'm sure you will like the energy if you seeking power, feel or comfort added in your game..

How does Energy compare to a setup of a hybrid of Babolat Revenge (mains) with VS gut-crossses?:)

Boricua
02-24-2011, 04:49 AM

I have been using a Babolat APD but have been experiencing a shoulder problem that I had never had in many years of playing. It started after using this racket with RPM Blast. Then I used Weiss cannon Turbo Twist and Black5Edge and the setup is less stiff but still their is some pain.

I intend to switch to the new Yonex Vcore, the 98 or 100, still deciding. The 98 is 16 x 20 string pattern and the 100 is 16 x 19.

I use extreme forehand topspin with full western grip, slice and topspin backhand. I am mostly a baseliner but trying to attack net when hitting a good forehand specially.

With Yonex, which I have used in the past, I tend to hit more in the center of the racket but will always go to the heavy topspin stroke.

These VCores are supposedly pretty powerful but with better control than the AeroProDrive.

Taking into consideration my shoulder problem (I hope it dissappears), my style of play and the racket I'll be using, which 5 copoly strings would you recommend to try out?.

Also, with the strings you recommend, with any of them is a hybrid with gut or a softer string recommended as a cross string?I Would adding gut help to maintain tension in the copolys ?

I am lookng for a lively string but without the trampoline effect as I take good cuts at the ball, that is I hit the ball with a fast swing and with pretty much power and energy.

I will first use the Polystar Energy.

Thank you alot for your response.:)

dekko1
02-24-2011, 05:21 AM
I have been using a Babolat APD but have been experiencing a shoulder problem that I had never had in many years of playing. It started after using this racket with RPM Blast. Then I used Weiss cannon Turbo Twist and Black5Edge and the setup is less stiff but still their is some pain.

I intend to switch to the new Yonex Vcore, the 98 or 100, still deciding. The 98 is 16 x 20 string pattern and the 100 is 16 x 19.

I use extreme forehand topspin with full western grip, slice and topspin backhand. I am mostly a baseliner but trying to attack net when hitting a good forehand specially.

With Yonex, which I have used in the past, I tend to hit more in the center of the racket but will always go to the heavy topspin stroke.

These VCores are supposedly pretty powerful but with better control than the AeroProDrive.

Taking into consideration my shoulder problem (I hope it dissappears), my style of play and the racket I'll be using, which 5 copoly strings would you recommend to try out?.

Also, with the strings you recommend, with any of them is a hybrid with gut or a softer string recommended as a cross string?I Would adding gut help to maintain tension in the copolys ?

I am lookng for a lively string but without the trampoline effect as I take good cuts at the ball, that is I hit the ball with a fast swing and with pretty much power and energy.

I will first use the Polystar Energy.

Thank you alot for your response.:)

The closest Yonex to a babolat is the Vcore 100. but if i were u, i'd try the 98 as well; 100 has more a bit more power, and 98 a bit more control. They are both pretty good rackets.
Also try the Polystar Turbro, as I wrote before, it feels crispier than the Energy and it will be better for spin as well. If you have shoulder pain and want to play with poly, than there is no better string. If you want max comfort, get Energy 1.20, but of course u lose out on durability.
IMO if you add gut or a multi on the hybrid, you'll be mostly getting power, and will feel a bit softer. With the full poly, you'll get control, it will hold the ball a bit more, less trampoline effect. But Energy/turbo gives you more power and more comfort than any other poly i have tried, so imo no need for a hybrid.

Boricua
02-24-2011, 06:57 AM
The closest Yonex to a babolat is the Vcore 100. but if i were u, i'd try the 98 as well; 100 has more a bit more power, and 98 a bit more control. They are both pretty good rackets.
Also try the Polystar Turbro, as I wrote before, it feels crispier than the Energy and it will be better for spin as well. If you have shoulder pain and want to play with poly, than there is no better string. If you want max comfort, get Energy 1.20, but of course u lose out on durability.
IMO if you add gut or a multi on the hybrid, you'll be mostly getting power, and will feel a bit softer. With the full poly, you'll get control, it will hold the ball a bit more, less trampoline effect. But Energy/turbo gives you more power and more comfort than any other poly i have tried, so imo no need for a hybrid.

Thank you for your reply.

Where I live i can't demo Yonex unfortunately.

Is the feel of the 98 and the 100 the same or is the 98 more solid feeling?

Why is the VCore100 more similar to Babolat APD than the VCore98?:)

parasailing
02-24-2011, 08:14 AM
Turbo is the best poly i have ever played with. Last year I tried a bunch of polys, and I recently ran out of my 1st 200meter reel, and have tried some other polys. Nothing plays like Turbo, and I am about to order a 400m reel, such a good value for such a good string.

Can you give us a list of the polys you have tried as reference? I have tried Energy and for the price, it's a great value especially in the 400m spool.

Boricua
02-24-2011, 08:56 AM

Have you been able to demo the VCore 98 and 100?

Is there a big difference in spin production between them?

Did you have to adjust your swing when using each racket due to the difference in head size and string pattern between them? :)

dekko1
02-24-2011, 09:46 AM
Thank you for your reply.

Where I live i can't demo Yonex unfortunately.

Is the feel of the 98 and the 100 the same or is the 98 more solid feeling?

Why is the VCore100 more similar to Babolat APD than the VCore98?:)

Yes, I tried both racquets about 10 days ago.
I have hit with Babolat Pure Drive in the past, and 100 felt a bit like that, just the feeling you get when u hit the ball, quite stiff, and quite thick. I have played with APD but to tell you the truth I dont remember much, since it didnt take long for me to put it away.
In terms of spin, I felt that I could get more spin with the 100, not much by the difference in headsize, but mostly because of string pattern. You also get more power from it. In terms of solid feeling, I felt that the 98 was more solid, maybe because it felt a little bit heavier, but it also feels that it goes through the air easier and less hollow.
If you have been playing with Babolat and want to go for a Yonex, playing with the 100 will be an easier transition than the 98. I would definitely recommend. If you want a more solid feeling, and dont care for the extra spin, go for the 98.
As for a more arm friendly racket between the two, probably the 100 is a better option since it is the most powerful of both (both quite stiff rackets, so be sure to play with a soft poly, or string setup).

dekko1
02-24-2011, 10:01 AM
Can you give us a list of the polys you have tried as reference? I have tried Energy and for the price, it's a great value especially in the 400m spool.

OK the ones I can think right now are:

Polystar: Classic, Energy, Turbo and Strike.
Toalson: Rencon, Cyberblade Thermaxe and another cheaper poly
Pacific: PolyForce, polypower, X power
Luxilon: alu power, alu rough and bb original
Babolat: rpm blast, revenge, hurricane and the cheaper poly
signum pro plasma; tecnifibre the red and the black one, yonex poly tour, there probably is more but i cant think of right now.

Boricua
02-24-2011, 10:32 AM
I have hit with Babolat Pure Drive in the past, and 100 felt a bit like that, just the feeling you get when u hit the ball, quite stiff, and quite thick. I have played with APD but to tell you the truth I dont remember much, since it didnt take long for me to put it away.
In terms of spin, I felt that I could get more spin with the 100, not much by the difference in headsize, but mostly because of string pattern. You also get more power from it. In terms of solid feeling, I felt that the 98 was more solid, maybe because it felt a little bit heavier, but it also feels that it goes through the air easier and less hollow.
If you have been playing with Babolat and want to go for a Yonex, playing with the 100 will be an easier transition than the 98. I would definitely recommend. If you want a more solid feeling, and dont care for the extra spin, go for the 98.
As for a more arm friendly racket between the two, probably the 100 is a better option since it is the most powerful of both (both quite stiff rackets, so be sure to play with a soft poly, or string setup).

Wow, I have a big dilemma going on as some people recommend the VCore98,others the 100. Two playtesters from Tennis Warehouse did not like the 100so much. One fell in love with the 98 and the other with the 95. Both said the 100 is too light, so this brings doubts to my mind. in terms of buying it.
My two tennis instructors and/or hitting partners say the 98 is a better option but they have not demoed as the TWare playtesters have.

In terms of picking the 100, a third playtester from T Ware said the VCore 100 was more like the Aerpro and also taht was said in some Talk tennis discussion board.

I own an RDIS 100MP, a RDIS 200 (heavier version) and a RDIS 300. The first two I like the feel but too heavy for me. The 300 maybe somewhat light and the feel not so solid as the RDIS 100 or 200.

I have been told and have read that the VCores are different from the RDIS line, but the only point of reference that I have for Yonex is the RDIS line.
The RDIS line is top notch quality but none of them fill my needs or adjusts to my topspin game. Maybe the solid RDIS 100 MP but to heavy and hard to generate extreme topspin like I do with the Babolat Aerprodrive.

I wish there was a Yonex feeling frame with the aerodynamics of the Aerprodrive!

Also, I have to take in consideration the isometric shape of the Yonex.

Have you used the RDIS 300? If so, is it different compared to the VCore 100?

Have you used the RDIS 100 MP? Is it different compared to the VCore 100?

Going back to the VCores, which one seves better and gets better slice backhand. the 98 or 100?

When hitting with Yonex in the past its hard to brush the ball for topspin, is this the case with both the VCore 100 and 98?

Sorry for so many questions, but I am trying to guess right.
I wish I could demo them but where I live we do'nt receive Yonex demo, we only can buy them through the Internet.

Finally, I shall try to stop comparing the VCores to the Aeroprodrive in order to make a wise decision, but its not easy not to do so.:)

Boricua
02-24-2011, 10:35 AM

I should have asked, is the RDIS 100 MP diffrent in comparison with the VCore 98,?:)

Boricua
02-24-2011, 10:36 AM

I should have asked, is the RDIS 100 MP diffrent in comparison with the VCore 98,?:)

dekko1
02-24-2011, 10:53 AM
Wow, I have a big dilemma going on as some people recommend the VCore98,others the 100. Two playtesters from Tennis Warehouse did not like the 100so much. One fell in love with the 98 and the other with the 95. Both said the 100 is too light, so this brings doubts to my mind. in terms of buying it.
My two tennis instructors and/or hitting partners say the 98 is a better option but they have not demoed as the TWare playtesters have.

In terms of picking the 100, a third playtester from T Ware said the VCore 100 was more like the Aerpro and also taht was said in some Talk tennis discussion board.

I own an RDIS 100MP, a RDIS 200 (heavier version) and a RDIS 300. The first two I like the feel but too heavy for me. The 300 maybe somewhat light and the feel not so solid as the RDIS 100 or 200.

I have been told and have read that the VCores are different from the RDIS line, but the only point of reference that I have for Yonex is the RDIS line.
The RDIS line is top notch quality but none of them fill my needs or adjusts to my topspin game. Maybe the solid RDIS 100 MP but to heavy and hard to generate extreme topspin like I do with the Babolat Aerprodrive.

I wish there was a Yonex feeling frame with the aerodynamics of the Aerprodrive!

Also, I have to take in consideration the isometric shape of the Yonex.

Have you used the RDIS 300? If so, is it different compared to the VCore 100?

Have you used the RDIS 100 MP? Is it different compared to the VCore 100?

Going back to the VCores, which one seves better and gets better slice backhand. the 98 or 100?

When hitting with Yonex in the past its hard to brush the ball for topspin, is this the case with both the VCore 100 and 98?

Sorry for so many questions, but I am trying to guess right.
I wish I could demo them but where I live we do'nt receive Yonex demo, we only can buy them through the Internet.

Finally, I shall try to stop comparing the VCores to the Aeroprodrive in order to make a wise decision, but its not easy not to do so.:)

Same day I played with the Vcores, I also hit with the RDiS 100MP (just some info, my racket of choice from last year is the RDiS100mid).

I felt that the RDiS100MP was a more solid racket than both Vcores; the RDiS feels more like a players racket, and I liked that it felt that was more flexible than the Vcores. But you might get more power from the Vcores, and more spin with the Vcore 100.
I know what you mean when you say you have to brush a bit more to get spin when using Yonex, well, the Vcore 100 is easier than the 98 and RDiS, definitely.
I have also played with RDiS200, but not the 300. The Vcores are nothing like the 200.

JT_2eighty
02-24-2011, 10:54 AM
^^^ I hate to be a stickler on this, but maybe start a new thread about these racquets? Let's keep Rodrigo's String Reviews on topic, thanks! :) (not trying to be rude or anything)

Boricua
02-24-2011, 11:03 AM
^^^ I hate to be a stickler on this, but maybe start a new thread about these racquets? Let's keep Rodrigo's String Reviews on topic, thanks! :) (not trying to be rude or anything)

Ok. I am new in the discussion board, sorry. I will keep your "suggestion" in mind.[/I]

JT_2eighty
02-24-2011, 11:12 AM
^^^ no worries, i tend to derail threads a lot, it happens to us all. :D

OK the ones I can think right now are:

Polystar: Classic, Energy, Turbo and Strike.
Toalson: Rencon, Cyberblade Thermaxe and another cheaper poly
Pacific: PolyForce, polypower, X power
Luxilon: alu power, alu rough and bb original
Babolat: rpm blast, revenge, hurricane and the cheaper poly
signum pro plasma; tecnifibre the red and the black one, yonex poly tour, there probably is more but i cant think of right now.

Nice. So do you find Energy and Turbo are essentially the same besides the shape? Seems the only brand missing is WC, I'd be curious your take on some of their current popular strings like Scorpion, MB, or B5E? Either way, I'll have to bump up the set of Energy I have and try it soon: Scorpion next, then Energy. Since I'm only a poly-cross user, I think Turbo will eat up the gut too fast?

Boricua
02-24-2011, 11:12 AM
Same day I played with the Vcores, I also hit with the RDiS 100MP (just some info, my racket of choice from last year is the RDiS100mid).

I felt that the RDiS100MP was a more solid racket than both Vcores; the RDiS feels more like a players racket, and I liked that it felt that was more flexible than the Vcores. But you might get more power from the Vcores, and more spin with the Vcore 100.
I know what you mean when you say you have to brush a bit more to get spin when using Yonex, well, the Vcore 100 is easier than the 98 and RDiS, definitely.
I have also played with RDiS200, but not the 300. The Vcores are nothing like the 200.

Please refer to "Yonex V=Core Info" under the Racket forum in order not to disrupt or affect this particular board.. A couple of maybe final questions I hope.:)

JT_2eighty
02-24-2011, 11:14 AM
Have you had a chance to try Polyfibre Viper? If so, how would you compare it to the Polyfibre TCS and Black Venom?

I'm also curious about this.

Boricua
02-24-2011, 11:32 AM
The followup question is posted on Yoene VCore Info in the Racket forum or board. thanks.

I'm eager to buy but not convinced yet. Will I? I hope.

Sorry again to the Rodrigo string review members for my "intrusion" with the VCores

Cheers!:)

Boricua
02-24-2011, 04:27 PM
Has anyone used or heardabout this hybrid combiantion? I thonk Caro Woz plays well with it and did not stick o yje Yonex Poly Tour.

Iwill possibly use it, I will let you know.

And WC Black 5 Edge, good, soft, spinny, and does not loose tension. Worth a try. Get it in Guts and Glory Tennis and coming to TW.

Only 9 dollars a set.:)

J_aces
02-24-2011, 04:49 PM
I found B5E to not be very spinny and very low powered. It is comfortable and holds tension well though. Can anyone compare it to some other polys

hescobal
02-24-2011, 08:05 PM
Finally tried polystar hybrid of strike mains/ turbo crosses and it felt really good. put 3.5 hours today

I usually string full turbo at 55lbs and string full strike at 52lbs. Strike still felt slightly lower powered than turbo even with the lower tension

I strung the hybrid at 54lbs and the there is more power than what i had with full strike, about the same as full turbo. I think this should work better for me.

When I had a full bed of turbo, there was a big tension drop that made it hard to do anything bu play defense

BigT
02-25-2011, 10:03 AM
Rodrigo,

do you play competetively or just for fun? what level?

Boricua
02-25-2011, 10:25 AM
Rodrigo,

Are you checking his credentials.? I had a good basketball coach in junior high and he was fat and could not play...

Is that you in the picture?

BigT
02-25-2011, 11:00 AM
Knowing his level would help relate to his reviews better. If Rodrigo was an 80-year old woman that plays weekend doubles, then his (or her) reviews would not really help me out.
No shortage of people on the courts and on these boards that talk the talk, come out with their new bags, racquets and Fed headbands that can't hit the ball in the court 3 times in a row.

Boricua
02-25-2011, 11:16 AM
Knowing his level would help relate to his reviews better. If Rodrigo was an 80-year old woman that plays weekend doubles, then his (or her) reviews would not really help me out.
No shortage of people on the courts and on these boards that talk the talk, come out with their new bags, racquets and Fed headbands that can't hit the ball in the court 3 times in a row.

I agree. I was mostly kidding, but in reality some people that do not have so much ability, let''s say a 3.0 player may have much more insight and understanding than a 6.0 player in knowing strings.

The primary thing is that the person really tests the strings and give an honest, intelligent opinion.

To give you a trivial example from another sport, George Karl is a succesful NBA coach and I dont think he has the height or skill to have been an NBA player. On the other hand, guys like Larry Bird, an All Star, do not coach at that level, maybe because they dont have interest or because they dont have the capacity.

Knowledge plus interest plus honesty are the keys. I dont doubt tht Rodrigo has that and I dont know him but thats my feeling after reading the threads.

Nonetheless, I think your inquiry is legitimate also.

Sorry for my philosophy course...

exo3
02-25-2011, 11:17 AM
I'm not sure if you do requests but can you do the polylon line from gosen?
Its dirt cheap and has been getting rave reviews

JT_2eighty
02-25-2011, 01:53 PM
Read the first page, first few lines... he describes his level and style already...

mambochino
02-25-2011, 02:45 PM
I agree with your reviews with SPPP, Polystar Energy and Genesis Typhoon. I dumped the SPPP and currently using PE and GT. GT holds tension longer than PE definitely.

However, I love both and I know which one to choose when i have to restring my rackets. Perhaps just a coin toss.

parasailing
02-25-2011, 03:30 PM
I agree with your reviews with SPPP, Polystar Energy and Genesis Typhoon. I dumped the SPPP and currently using PE and GT. GT holds tension longer than PE definitely.

However, I love both and I know which one to choose when i have to restring my rackets. Perhaps just a coin toss.

Isn't Genesis Typhoon a lot stiffer than Polystar Energy? I haven't had a chance to hit with Typhoon but Polystar Energy is one of the softest poly out there with decent performance and great price, only downside is tension maintenance.

mambochino
02-26-2011, 07:05 AM
Isn't Genesis Typhoon a lot stiffer than Polystar Energy? I haven't had a chance to hit with Typhoon but Polystar Energy is one of the softest poly out there with decent performance and great price, only downside is tension maintenance.

I have elbow issue for the last 3 years. It is rather sensitive to stiff strings like. For example, pain comes in a week of using Topspin Cyber Blue (love hitting with it, but elbow does not). So back to the notion of stiffness, my elbow says GT is just a little stiffer than PE. PE tension maintenance is definitely not comparable to GT. I have to restring the PE much more often than GT

rodrigoamaral
02-26-2011, 01:13 PM
Rodrigo,

As I wrote in my first post in this thread, I am a 5.0

rodrigoamaral
02-26-2011, 01:14 PM
I'm not sure if you do requests but can you do the polylon line from gosen?
Its dirt cheap and has been getting rave reviews

I tested it and thought it was horrible ,sorry.. better strings in that price range..

parasailing
02-26-2011, 07:12 PM
I finally had a chance to string up Dunlop Black Widow 17 gauge. This string really bites into the ball and slices and topsin are really good with it. The string is really soft, it almost feels like a multi. I didn't feel the harshness on my arm like most other polys.

The only downside to this string is the lack of power. This string doesn't have much pop. Every time I attempted to keep the ball deep, it would land about 2 feet short of the baseline.

Polystar Energy and Polyfibre TCS are better strings for the money and provide more power than Dunlop Black Widow. On a side note, glad this didn't work out, stringing this was a lot harder due to the sharp edges on this particular string.

J_aces
02-26-2011, 07:17 PM
^^ Sounds exactly like Black5 edge. Wont be trying black widow now

JT_2eighty
02-26-2011, 07:17 PM
Which gauge of TCS did you use?

Another good, soft, power poly IMO is WC mosquito bite 1.16. You may dig it.

parasailing
02-26-2011, 07:22 PM

When I test strings, I make sure I use the same gauge to ensure a more consistent and fair review. I use TCS 17 gauge and felt TCS had more power. Black Widow did provide a bit more spin and softer than TCS. TCS offer a bit more pop.

I will put that string on my list to consider when I am done with my other strings to playtest.

J_aces
02-26-2011, 07:27 PM

What do you think of a hybrid with a textured main and MB cross?

austinjbrunner
02-27-2011, 06:08 AM
Can you compare Red Code and Energy? I love Energy but am looking for something a bit more durable.

JT_2eighty
02-27-2011, 01:21 PM
What do you think of a hybrid with a textured main and MB cross?

I'm actually thinking of B5E/MB to try once I get through the next 3-4 gut/poly setups I have on my short list. :)

rodrigoamaral
02-27-2011, 04:48 PM
Can you compare Red Code and Energy? I love Energy but am looking for something a bit more durable.

Red code and energy are 2 different strings as IMO they plan nothing alike.. I would recomend trying the Energy in a thicker gauge and see the effect it has on durability.. I may also even try hybriding the energy with another poly to get the best of both worlds..

austinjbrunner
02-27-2011, 04:58 PM
All right, thanks for the input. I will continue messing around with setup's until I find something I like and is durable enough.

J_aces
02-27-2011, 07:20 PM
I'm actually thinking of B5E/MB to try once I get through the next 3-4 gut/poly setups I have on my short list. :)

Hmm I might try this since I have both already and I dont really want the B5E/ gosen hybrid again. What would the MB add to this setup?

Boricua
02-28-2011, 05:12 AM
Red code and energy are 2 different strings as IMO they plan nothing alike.. I would recomend trying the Energy in a thicker gauge and see the effect it has on durability.. I may also even try hybriding the energy with another poly to get the best of both worlds..

1-Does using gut as a cross with TCS or Energy help with the drop of tension issue, that is, does it improve tension maintenance?

2- How does Polyfibre Black Venom compare with TCS And Energy? (maybe you already answered this question but I dont recall):)

JT_2eighty
02-28-2011, 05:20 AM
Hmm I might try this since I have both already and I dont really want the B5E/ gosen hybrid again. What would the MB add to this setup?

It's a softer poly, with good touch and some power. Nice and slick, works great with gut mains, and would probably help to add some power & feel to a stiffer poly main, but not be as soft as a multi or syn, with more durability.

Boricua
02-28-2011, 08:26 AM
!- have you used babolat revenge (mains) with gut and if so what is your impression?

The same please but Polystar Black Veno in mains and gut in crosses?:)

BigT
02-28-2011, 03:39 PM
As I wrote in my first post in this thread, I am a 5.0

Are you ever in SoCal? Maybe we can hit...

rodrigoamaral
02-28-2011, 04:04 PM
1-Does using gut as a cross with TCS or Energy help with the drop of tension issue, that is, does it improve tension maintenance?

2- How does Polyfibre Black Venom compare with TCS And Energy? (maybe you already answered this question but I dont recall):)

1. Yes, that would help with the tension maintenance...

2. Black Venom gives more spin, is more durable and has better control than the other 2.. it is all subjective so you should try it out and see for yourself..

rodrigoamaral
02-28-2011, 04:05 PM
!- have you used babolat revenge (mains) with gut and if so what is your impression?

The same please but Polystar Black Veno in mains and gut in crosses?:)

used the revenge as a full stringjob and thought it played very stiff with no feel.

rodrigoamaral
02-28-2011, 04:05 PM
Are you ever in SoCal? Maybe we can hit...

If I'm ever in the area, I'll let you know...

parasailing
02-28-2011, 05:16 PM
Rodrogo - how does black venom compared to viper? Is either one as soft and powerful as energy but has tension maintenance and spin of tcs?

JT_2eighty
03-01-2011, 06:43 AM
I don't remember if I've asked or if you've already reviewed these strings...

Sonic Pro?
WC Mosq Bite?

rodrigoamaral
03-01-2011, 04:40 PM
Rodrogo - how does black venom compared to viper? Is either one as soft and powerful as energy but has tension maintenance and spin of tcs?

Never tried Viper but Black Venom is pretty similar to TCS but IMO plays better as it holds tension better and does have better spin potential..

rodrigoamaral
03-01-2011, 04:40 PM
I don't remember if I've asked or if you've already reviewed these strings...

Sonic Pro?
WC Mosq Bite?

Did try Sonic Pro and will write up a review of it next time I write up some new reviews.. never tried MB

J_aces
03-03-2011, 05:06 PM
I used the racquettune app and does it make sense after 2 weeks of hitting, about 10 to 12 hrs, my hybrid of B5E/ gosen at 54/57 now reads 51. Could that be accurate? I would assume it would lose more tension than that

parasailing
03-05-2011, 11:04 PM
Rodrigo - I saw your last update with additional string reviews. Keep up the good work and keep the new tests coming. I looking forward to your reviews on other strings you mention.

Ross K
03-05-2011, 11:51 PM
Excellent thread Rodrigo... QSN. Which 3 strings of all the ones you've tested would you say have the most explosive power and the biggest spin as well?

Thanks,

R.

rodrigoamaral
03-06-2011, 07:09 PM
Excellent thread Rodrigo... QSN. Which 3 strings of all the ones you've tested would you say have the most explosive power and the biggest spin as well?

Thanks,

R.
Thank you.. For best power and spin, Genesis typhoon is probably your best bet followed by Signum tornado and Poly star strike...

parasailing
03-06-2011, 09:42 PM
Thank you.. For best power and spin, Genesis typhoon is probably your best bet followed by Signum tornado and Poly star strike...

Rodrigo - What if comfort is added to the equation, would you still consider these three for good power, comfort, and spin?

Ross K
03-06-2011, 11:49 PM

Cheers for confirming my thoughts - 2 of my next 3 string-jobs this week were going to be Typhoon and Tornado.:wink:

R.

bad_call
03-07-2011, 05:10 AM
I used the racquettune app and does it make sense after 2 weeks of hitting, about 10 to 12 hrs, my hybrid of B5E/ gosen at 54/57 now reads 51. Could that be accurate? I would assume it would lose more tension than that

also found that tension maintenance is good with B5E/Speed 16 hybrid after 8 hours of hitting over a few weeks time.

J_aces
03-07-2011, 05:16 AM
also found that tension maintenance is good with B5E/Speed 16 hybrid after 8 hours of hitting over a few weeks time.

I've only just started liking this setup the last few days so I guess around 50 is where I like my strings at. I used to string rpm at 56 but after about 3 weeks of hitting lost over 10 lbs. I need to readjust with these newer polys that hold tension well