PDA

View Full Version : Straight crosses during or after stringing?

hangzhou
04-17-2004, 10:23 PM
I noticed that the crosses not straight after I pull the tension (using MS200 ECO). I did straighten them before the pull, but somehow they curved up after applying tension. Does anyone have similar experience?

There are two approaches I can think of, and I would like to know your expert feedback.

One is straight them after tie-off. The downside is tension may be reduced and become uneven for some crosses.

The other one is straight them after the pull. It works fine with MS 200 machine.

I want to know which is the best practice.

TIA.

drop shot
04-17-2004, 10:51 PM
I don't know that this is the best way but I usually wait until after, because when I tried to straighten as I was steringing they still needed straightening after the job was done. Plus I don't think straightening the crosses after the stringing is finished will affect tension

Hawaii 5.0
04-18-2004, 12:59 AM
It's best to straighten before you tension,and after tension, but before clamping, and in the end if there are any stray strings from the clamps moving them slightly, but that's for presentation.This is where imo the tensioning system really plays a role.On my CP machine by straightening after tension, but before clamping I'm reaching a more accurate tension, but with cranks you can't no matter when you straighten.I like my Sensor becuase it gives me accurate actual tension changes on display.

Gaines Hillix
04-18-2004, 06:34 AM
I also straighten the strings before and after tensioning. An added benefit to pushing the strings next to the previously tensioned string before tensioning is that any misweaves are very easy to see. A "setting-off" tool is handy to have to save wear and tear on your finger tips.

hangzhou
04-18-2004, 09:36 AM
Cool, thank you all.

Gaines, what's "settting-off" tool? Is it your own invention?

JRW
04-18-2004, 06:08 PM
I remember reading about this in an old Racquettech. According to their research straightening the crosses after strining results in a 5% lower stringbed stiffness compared to straightening during stringing.

Steve Huff
04-19-2004, 01:12 PM
I, too, straighten them each time. If you don't, you next cross is being pushed further and further from it's perpendicular position. This means the when you straighten it at the end, you'll have lost a lot more tension.

Gaines Hillix
04-19-2004, 02:36 PM
hangzhou, a setting-off tool is like a thick awl with a blunt tip. It looks kind of like a wooden handled screwdriver with a blunt, rounded tip. Mine was made by RAB.