PDA

View Full Version : Will Steve Carell pull a Brett Favre?

Fandango
08-09-2010, 01:31 AM
I've been trying to distract my self from something very pressing in my life. So I'm turning to my favorite tv show, The Office. For those that don't know, Brett Favre is one of the world's best qbs and has retired and unretired several times.

I love the show but I recently learnt that Steve Carell (Michael Scott) is leaving after this upcoming season. I think he is leaving for sever reasons:

He wants to spend time with his family
Makes more money with movies like Dinner For Schmucks, Date Night, 40 year old
His role makes him look like a buffoon
7 years is a long time for a show

So I'm hoping he'll come to his senses and come back because I can't see the show being what it is to this day with-out him. Side thoughts- who could replace him? Thoughts on the possibility of Jim Halpert taking will his spot?

ollinger
08-09-2010, 04:44 AM
To "come to his senses" would mean to stick with his decision to leave. How many actors can you think of who spent at least eight seasons on a TV show and then had a successful movie career? (Remember that we're really talking about much more TV exposure than that with his years on The Daily Show.)

hollywood9826
08-09-2010, 07:47 AM
Its all about his kids.

Im sure if he wanted to stay on the show he would get rewarded big time for it. He cuold easily get over 1mil an episode. Hes not getting that for movies to my knowledge.

What films do is allow him to pick and choose which roles to take if it fits his schedule.

Every role he takes makes him look like a buffoon though.

El Diablo
08-09-2010, 07:54 AM
Big names commonly get 10-20 million for a film, and that's typically for only 8 or so weeks of shooting, so the money compares favorably with the grind of TV. Buffoonery is not something one has to persist at. Steve Martin started with making films that fit his buffoon image ("The Jerk"), then started taking beefier roles once he had cemented his ability to sell tickets.

norbac
08-09-2010, 09:06 AM
The show already died when Ellie Kemper was cast....

hollywood9826
08-09-2010, 09:50 AM
Will Farrel is gettign 20 mill a film now supposedly.

They would pay Carell handsomly to stay maybe in the range of 2.5 to three mil an ep. I think he knows this but would rather just make a movie or two a year for the same or a little less.

Or maybe he wants to have a free schedule to take more filmprojects. maybe play some different kind of roles.

He probably also thinks theres not much morehis character can do on the show.

GetBetterer
08-09-2010, 10:02 AM
Steve Carrel stated in an interview that he would be retiring from the show in order to spend more time with his family; he has two boys. Perhaps after he gets sick of his children as most parent's do, he'll come back.

The show isn't over, he's just leaving. His contract with NBC (or was it ABC?) for the show is over.

Power Player
08-09-2010, 10:42 AM
The show is great, but lost a lot of power once they milked the Jim/Pam thing and then decided that everyone in the office should have a love story. Without Mike Scott running things, I can't see how the show would be good. Carrell also co produces or cowrites the show..so behind the scenes he will be missed just as much. He basically is ending the show with his decision IMO.

Fandango
08-09-2010, 02:59 PM
Yeah, I think its going to be horrible, I mean Michael Scott made the show. Hopefully Jim doesn't grab the hot seat.

Fandango
08-09-2010, 03:08 PM
To "come to his senses" would mean to stick with his decision to leave. How many actors can you think of who spent at least eight seasons on a TV show and then had a successful movie career? (Remember that we're really talking about much more TV exposure than that with his years on The Daily Show.)

The only person I recall who has been successful is Jennifer Aniston.

This phenomenon where it is hard to find work after a good tv show is called the seinfeld curse, but what is your point?

Power Player
08-11-2010, 05:42 AM
Yeah, I think its going to be horrible, I mean Michael Scott made the show. Hopefully Jim doesn't grab the hot seat.

Jim a dbag character. A guy who looks at the camera every time he makes the joke like he is above it all. I think the guy looks at the camera 10 times an episode. There is no way he could carry the show. Without Agent Michael Scarr, the show is over.

The **** dog is a solid character though. Love that guy.

ollinger
08-11-2010, 07:59 AM
Fandango
my point was that an actor who wants to do other things in his career should probably leave a series sooner rather than later, lest he become overly identified with one role.

film1
08-11-2010, 08:35 AM
When I lost a family member I was very close to recently one of the few things that helped me cope with the sadness, ease my mind some and gave me a little distraction from persistent grief was watching The Office.
I had seasons 1-5 on DVD and watched every single show along with the extras many times.
I often kept it going one show after another.

One thing we can all count on in life is change so it's important to stop and look at all the things that have you disappointed or stressed out right now and put them in proper perspective next to all the things you have to be thankful for.
What really matters most in life is the health of you and your loved ones.

Fandango
12-31-2010, 09:33 PM
that was deep film1.

And I really hope Brett Favre unretires again.

He shouldnt go out the way he is right now:(