PDA

View Full Version : second set rust in doubles

Mike2228
08-09-2010, 03:20 AM
Did anyone else suffer from second set rust in doubles when they were new to the game? I always come on strong, but by the second set it seems I lose my strokes because of a lack of use. (in singles I usually play well, or at least at the same level in both sets. I assume because my strokes are tested on every point.) I've only been playing for a few months now and I guess I don't have my strokes well commited to muscle memory yet.

larry10s
08-09-2010, 03:58 AM
more likely you are not in tennis shape physically and /or mentally yet

AceKing
08-09-2010, 04:26 AM
I usually have the opposite thing happen. In singles I feel like I can work out the kinks over the 1st game or 2. In doubles it takes me a lot longer to get comfortable. Once I'm in the 2nd set though, I'm fine. I notice this especially with return of serve.

tennis tom
08-09-2010, 07:42 AM
I lose my strokes because of a lack of use. .

One possibility is, in doubles, if you are the stronger player, "Your hands get cold". By about the third game, your opponents, figure out you're the better player, and try to hit everything to your partner and keep it away from you.

Take advantage of this by poaching or faking the poach more. Move over a step or two towards your partner's side. This will put pressure on your opponents. They will take their eyes off the ball, watching your moves, resulting in errors. Watch your partner as he hits the ball, this will help keep you in the rhythm of the match.

During a long doubles rally, when everything is going to your partner, the presure builds on you. You may start thinking "Don't hit the ball to me, I don't want to be the one to screw this point up." You have to change that thought to "Hit that ball to me! I want to end this point with a winner. HIT IT TO ME!"

Tarboro
08-09-2010, 10:14 AM
I've had this problem before, primarily after a layoff long enough to compromise my usual "exacting" fitness standards. In other words, I'm in good enough shape to hit my normal shots when I'm not tired, but

1. Get tired much more quickly than normal, such that late in a long first set or early in a second set of doubles, I'm having a hard time with normal strokes.

2. Am much more prone to mechanical errors, even on normally strong shots. The first shots to go as I tire are shots that I normally don't hit well, but shortly thereafter I'm having trouble with my mechanics on normal rally shots.

KOtennis
08-16-2010, 01:24 PM
this happens with our opponents, i have noticed after 5 matches of doubles i have played this season in the 3.5/4.0 leagues.

and i think it's more physical.

by the second set, our opponents first serves are not as fast, and second serves are sitting up. first serve percentage drop DRAMATICALLY.

also they over-hit on groudies, and miss on vollies.

this is when i am glad i am doing P90X and Insanity.
Second set is when i get warmed up.