PDA

View Full Version : what in the world is this called?

Lakoste
05-26-2005, 12:07 PM
http://www.csun.edu/%7Eaml45386/images/warrior****1024.jpg

its the grey thing above the grip and it says prince.
i have one on my head racquet.
do other companies make it?

muklucke
05-26-2005, 12:15 PM
Yes other companies do make them. From what i understand, its called a grip band. It works as the finishing tape. Heres a site where you can buy it form or maybe TW carries them. http://uniquesports.us/

POGO
05-26-2005, 12:43 PM
Hmmmm those pics look familiar. Were those from ****?

Lakoste
05-26-2005, 04:20 PM
yea thats where i got the pic

Lakoste
05-26-2005, 04:26 PM
does wilson make any of these grip bands

Zeph
05-26-2005, 04:39 PM
I believe every racquet comes with them, its there to use as an overgrip hold, when you dont have tape.

ambro
05-26-2005, 05:19 PM
I didn't get any on my Wilson 6.0's. But I have seen them on other Wilsons. Also, my Yonex's didn't have them, so not every racquet comes with them.

kv581
05-26-2005, 05:33 PM
Some replacement grips come with one.

newracketagain??
05-26-2005, 06:53 PM
they not to use instead ot tape, you tape ure overgrip, then pop that on ontop of the tape to stop the tape coming loose !

In the UK ALL rackets come with them !

gmlasam
05-26-2005, 07:21 PM
Hmmmmmmmm....hey those are my PICS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I should of water marked them :)

Lakoste
05-26-2005, 07:31 PM
ohh sorry about that gmlasam,
i didnt mean to take your photos.
they were on **** and it was a real good picture (nice pic)
of what i wanted to show.

doriancito
05-26-2005, 07:33 PM
Oh yes i guess you can call that the over grip holder....its so the overgrip doesnt stick out and bother you....so you use that elastic band to keep it all together...HEAD, Babolat, Prince, Wilson and many other brands make it!

Lakoste
05-26-2005, 07:35 PM
doriancito
do you know where i can get a wilson one?

gmlasam
05-26-2005, 07:35 PM
ohh sorry about that gmlasam,
i didnt mean to take your photos.
they were on **** and it was a real good picture (nice pic)
of what i wanted to show.
Hhahahaha no problem buddy. I'm just j/k with you :)

I personally don't like those rubber things on the handle. Those give me blisters on my left hand, on my two handed backhand.

Prince_of_Tennis
05-26-2005, 07:38 PM
Hhahahaha no problem buddy. I'm just j/k with you :)

I personally don't like those rubber things on the handle. Those give me blisters on my left hand, on my two handed backhand.
What happened to you GMLASAM you like dissapeared now you are back.???

gmlasam
05-26-2005, 07:46 PM
What happened to you GMLASAM you like dissapeared now you are back.???
I was on Vacation :) And I just recently moved, and my wife got me busy fixing up the place. Now I can relax :)

doriancito
05-26-2005, 07:49 PM
jaja what were you working on?

gmlasam
05-26-2005, 07:52 PM
jaja what were you working on?
too much of everything :) I haven't played tennis in about 3 weeks OMG!!

doriancito
05-26-2005, 07:58 PM
yeah i haveny played it in 3 days and i suck big time.....and i usually do 3-4 hours per day of tennis!

ffrpg
05-26-2005, 08:17 PM
does wilson make any of these grip bands

Yes, Wilson does make some. I haven't seen them on any of the more recent racquets (Tour 90, nCode Tour 90). All of my PS 6.0 85's came with one. I'm sure they come on other Wilson racquets, but the PS 85 is the only Wilson racquet that I've ever seen them on.

AndrewD
05-26-2005, 08:54 PM
Okay guys, the real reason that little rubber thingy is on your racquet:

The racquet companies realised that when people put on overgrips they used a small strip of tape that showed the name of the company which made the overgrip (Babolat, Yonex, etc, etc).
The racquet companies then began making that little rubber piece so that, when you put on the overgrip, you'd either use it instead of the tape or pull it down over the top of the overgrip and block out the other manufacturers name.

Ever noticed how annoying it is to take it off the racquet - either have to cut it off or stretch and roll it off. Easier to leave it on. But when you've got your overgrip in place it usually ends where the rubber logo thing sits. So, for comfort sake you pull it down and obscure the name on the tape that comes with the overgrip.

Simple but very effective.

BreakPoint
05-26-2005, 11:01 PM
Racquets with leather grips usually do not come with them. That's why PS 6.0, Tour 90, nor nCode 90 comes with them. Neither does the POG from what I remember. If you buy a synthetic replacement grip, it typically comes with one in the package. Not true of replacement leather grips I don't believe.

AndrewD
05-27-2005, 01:19 AM
Breakpoint,
that's the tape you're talking about, not the rubber piece with the manufacturers label I was referring to.

My POG OS (purchased at start of this year) came with one and the Wilson nCode Tour 90's that Ive seen out here have all had them.

Just put my new Head LM Prestige mid in for stringing and can't remember if it had one or not.

BreakPoint
05-27-2005, 06:40 AM
Really? Maybe it's different in Australia? From the racquets that I've seen, none of the ones with stock leather grips come with the rubber band. Just take a look at the close-up pics of these racquets on the TW description pages. Unless manufacturers added them very recently. BTW, some people add them themselves so you need to take a look at brand new racquets in the store with the plastic still on the handles.

ChrisNC
05-27-2005, 07:54 AM
Some synthetic replacement grips do come with a collar (which, btw, is what "the little rubber thing" is called to the best of my knowledge). Look at the Gamma replacements. They come w\ a collar.

Tennis Ball Hitter
05-27-2005, 08:39 AM
My LM prestige mid did not come with one ... I use a wilson "collar" that came with a replacement conform sponge wilson grip. Down here in Australia that is the only grip I have ever seen that comes with one.

But my friends LM prestige midplus came with a head "collar".

doriancito
05-27-2005, 08:54 AM
Wilson does make them but they dont sell them with the racquets ....they sell them as a accesory (very smart way to get money) hahahaha

hofertennis
05-28-2005, 10:49 PM
I have some extra grip bands from various companies and in various colors. I'll send you a couple for free if you visit my website. Just send your address and I'll pop a few in the mail. Be sure to sign my guestbook!
www.hofertennis.com
C-YA!
Doug

Michelangelo
05-28-2005, 11:13 PM
That little rubber band is supposed to cover the finish tape, especially for those 2-handed players who worry about their hands make the finish tape loosen up. I don't use it unless it's originally come with the racket.

rockemsockem
06-01-2005, 04:59 AM
They are called Pro Bands. They serve no purpose other than keeping the finishing tape down and finishing off the look. Wilson is not including them w/ their new Micro Dry grips. Prince does, but only in black. Nothing from Babolat, although they are on the frames when you buy them. Same for Volkl. I guess those pennies add up.

Young Pete
06-02-2005, 10:30 PM
just get a replacement grip from a store which more likely will include one and call it the day!

for me i use these rubber grip holders exclusively since i use tournagrip. I take my tournagrips off after every match and apply them again before a match. the rubber grip holder i find very convenient especially when you're in a hurry and dont want to mess with new grip tape. its an excellent piece of tennis accessory. i leave mine on the top always.

Lakoste
06-03-2005, 09:17 AM
have you seen any that are white?