PDA

View Full Version : Increasing tension on last main?

denj3325
08-09-2010, 08:14 AM
I am going to string my first string job today and I was watching some stringing videos and when they finished the mains they added about 5 extra lbs of tension to compensate for possible tension loss from the tie off.

Is this a good idea? If so, what tension is a good ammount to add?

Gamma Tech
08-09-2010, 08:30 AM
extra tension is fine, no extra tension is fine too. our electronic machines have a button to increase the tension by 10% for one pull. the string doesn't equalize thru the rqt so it is ok if there is some loose on the last string. if you hit the ball on the last string it is most likely going to hit the frame too & be a missed shoot. sorry for not giving you a definitive answer but there isn't really one.
bret

denj3325
08-09-2010, 09:10 AM
Ok thanks. I did have a couple more questions about stringing so here goes.

Is it bad for the frame if I play on a freshly strung racquet? or will it just cause a big loss in tension?

Would pre stretching help with this big tension loss?

The reason I am asking so many questions is that I am getting my stringer today and I REALLY want to string my raqcuet, but I am also hitting today. I just dont want to hurt the frame of my racquet.

jswinf
08-09-2010, 09:41 AM
Go play with that freshly-strung racket.

Leave yourself time for stringing, though. If you're waiting for your machine to be delivered, gotta unpack it, set it up, and the first string job (or so) might take a little longer than some of the hotshots on this forum that string in 15 minutes or less. You don't want your on-court time coming around when you're halfway through the crosses.

Jack2010
08-11-2010, 04:59 PM
Ok thanks. I did have a couple more questions about stringing so here goes.

Is it bad for the frame if I play on a freshly strung racquet? or will it just cause a big loss in tension?

Would pre stretching help with this big tension loss?

The reason I am asking so many questions is that I am getting my stringer today and I REALLY want to string my raqcuet, but I am also hitting today. I just dont want to hurt the frame of my racquet.

I read somewhere that you should let a newly strung racket sit overnight before you use it but I doubt that you'll damage your racket if you don't wait. In terms of pre-stretching, I don't think that's really necessary unless you're doing natural gut.

rufusbgood
08-11-2010, 05:26 PM
I read somewhere that you should let a newly strung racket sit overnight before you use it but I doubt that you'll damage your racket if you don't wait.

You read it in Tennis magazine. Ignore it. They specialize in misinformation.

jswinf
08-12-2010, 09:14 AM
So how'd it go getting that stringer and stringing and playing the other day?