PDA

View Full Version : Help make a decision

ptb5021
08-09-2010, 04:54 PM
After trying out new strings all summer, it's time to stop, and just stick with ONE string. I'm going to order a new reel later this evening or tomorrow morning. I'd like to just pick string, and stick with it for a while. Vote on the poll, and offer any constructive advice you deem necessary.

The last four are strings that I've been contemplating testing out, but haven't found the time for yet. They've been getting good reviews here, and seem like solid stings. Yes, it's risky buying a reel of string that I've never used, but buying multiple packs until I find one I like is probably going to end up in the same ballpark (money-wise).

Now it would be helpful to know a bit about my playing style, etc. to help justify your vote.
() 6'1 in height
() Like to swing hard -- SO power needs to be low(er than PHT, RPM Blast, Tourna BHB, and others of the like)
() I would describe myself as an aggressive base liner, but I don't really get into classifications too much
() I try to serve big as much as possible. Heavy kick serve is my backup (2nd serve)
() My forehand (as many) is my weapon
() My backhand is starting to get on par with FH due to opponents relentlessly hitting it there, though it still needs some work
() I'm looking for less power than PHT, RPM Blast, Tourna BHB, and others of the like...
() Looking for substantial control, obviously I cannot have the best of everything in one string, but some reasonable control is expected
() Spin - I would like access to spin. Unfortunately, when using PHT and RPM, I think I use spin shots too much
() Tension - I normally string everything (all the polys I've listed above too) around 62-64 lbs.
() Full string bed - never could get into hybrids.
() Tension loss - It's reality, it's going to happen. Don't mind re-stringing a frame every 8-12 hours of play depending on the situation.
() Don't want to break the bank on this reel. Preferably below $150, $100 ideally.

genius24
08-09-2010, 05:13 PM
try the solinco tour bite or revolution (not revelation like your wrote on poll). two of the hottest polys on the market right now. amazing spin, power, control, and tension maintenance. give it a try and you will see for yourself.

ptb5021
08-09-2010, 06:43 PM
Worth the risk of buying a whole reel you say?

rodrigoamaral
08-09-2010, 06:56 PM
Worth the risk of buying a whole reel you say?

i'd recommend trying it before getting a reel.. the last thing you want is to get something that does not suit your game.. try a set and decide if it complements your game

ptb5021
08-09-2010, 07:09 PM
thanks guys.. but the point of this thread is to decide on a reel without trying more strings -- otherwise ill never settle for one.

i agree, buying a reel without prior use is very risky, so that should eliminate those few from the poll.

rodrigoamaral
08-09-2010, 07:12 PM
thanks guys.. but the point of this thread is to decide on a reel without trying more strings -- otherwise ill never settle for one.

i agree, buying a reel without prior use is very risky, so that should eliminate those few from the poll.

in that case.. based on what you mentioned, I'd go with the helix

GorillaPeanuts
08-10-2010, 02:41 AM
I Love my setup right now, plus tour bite is an amazing string, my forehand is a very spin reliant shot, i don't hurt my oppenant with pace, i hurt with spin. May i ask what raquet you are currently using?

ptb5021
08-10-2010, 03:15 AM
I Love my setup right now, plus tour bite is an amazing string, my forehand is a very spin reliant shot, i don't hurt my oppenant with pace, i hurt with spin. May i ask what raquet you are currently using?

Aero Storm Tour GT

ethebull
08-10-2010, 06:29 AM
Awhile back I posted a poll asking how often players here switch strings. The most popular response was - "Every time I restring. It's part of my enjoyment for now."

Your poll might as well be titled - "What is the hot string out there right now? Which one is getting the most buzz?"

In a month or two it will be something else.

Lefty5
08-10-2010, 06:41 AM
if you think you spin shots too much, try taking one of your more powerful poly's and stringing it up about 3-5 lbs. Will increase the control and probably decrease some of your spin.... just a thought

ptb5021
08-10-2010, 01:16 PM
Awhile back I posted a poll asking how often players here switch strings. The most popular response was - "Every time I restring. It's part of my enjoyment for now."

Your poll might as well be titled - "What is the hot string out there right now? Which one is getting the most buzz?"

In a month or two it will be something else.

I disagree, I'm not intentionally looking for a string is popular right now. I've tried some that are, (i.e. RPM Blast), and some that aren't (Signum Poly Pro Plasma - haven't heard anything about this string in a long, long time). I added a few options on the poll (that I have no experience with), because they HAVE been getting a lot of positive feedback, but I'm really narrowing my options down between the Kirschbaum Helix 17g, Signum Pro Poly Plasma 17g, and Wilson Enduro Tour 17 (just because it's so damn cheap). I don't think either of those are 'hot on the market' at this time. The reason I'm buying a reel is to not be still testing strings out in another few months, so that I can avoid falling into the trap of trying strings that are 'new and exciting.'

if you think you spin shots too much, try taking one of your more powerful poly's and stringing it up about 3-5 lbs. Will increase the control and probably decrease some of your spin.... just a thought

I've thought about it... but haven't tried it yet for these reasons:
How high of a tension can racquets generally take? Obviously they go beyond the "recommended" value, but how far can they go? I'm already stringing at 63 lbs, so stringing 66-68 lbs probably won't bust a frame, but it's approaching that limit.

Next thing, I have a Silent Partner Swing Stringer, and it's done great for me over the past 1.5 years. I'm not 100% sold on it's "6-point" mounting system. They successfully added a cost effective 6 point mounting setup, but I don't believe the support is near a real 6-point mounting level.

ethebull
08-10-2010, 01:55 PM
I disagree, I'm not intentionally looking for a string is popular right now.

But that is exactly what you are getting via your poll. That's all I'm saying. This week it's Solinco, last month might have been Black magic, Next week Barbed Wire...

ptb5021
08-10-2010, 04:19 PM
But that is exactly what you are getting via your poll. That's all I'm saying. This week it's Solinco, last month might have been Black magic, Next week Barbed Wire...

You're correct, I see what you're saying now. My apologies.