PDA

View Full Version : Boomerang Tools

tennisman917
08-09-2010, 06:11 PM
Hello everybody, does anybody know if prince still makes the boomerangs or not, since i have a gamma x-2 its kinda hard to do O3 rackets on my own

Lakers4Life
08-09-2010, 06:14 PM
http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=329640

jim e
08-09-2010, 06:23 PM
Hello everybody, does anybody know if prince still makes the boomerangs or not, since i have a gamma x-2 its kinda hard to do O3 rackets on my own

There are a few different boomerang tools now. At least 4 of them I knew of in the past, maybe more by now. But there are some of their racquets they don't even have a boomerang for, and others that they no longer even have a boomerang for(like the small orange one is no longer avail.), as they (Prince), now suggests to use a brake while stringing the O port racquets.I just use the brake as it is the easiest to accomplish the job. Others here like Irvin uses a 50/ 50 method of stringing the cross strings where a brake is not necessary to use,(do a serch as he describes that nice), and others just use their hip to hold the racquet in place.I can see while using an X-2 attempting to keep the bar horizontal, and holding the racquet in line with your hip, and doing the job proper can be a little frustrating, this is why I tell people when they are purchasing a machine if they are going to string a # of 0 port racquets to look into getting a machine with a decent brake, although it is not necessary, it makes the job easier.

High Roller
08-09-2010, 08:08 PM
If your machine has a brake, the boomerang's make for nice key-chains.

tennisman917
08-09-2010, 10:04 PM
If your machine has a brake, the boomerang's make for nice key-chains.

I have the gamma x-2,

Irvin
08-10-2010, 02:28 AM
Prince has at least 5 boomerang tools now. Call them 1 800 2 TENNIS and they will send you what they have but they don't ahve them all some are discontinued and I am not sure how you can get one. But you may be able to make do with one they have.

I would suggest using the two piece 50/50 method. Here is a video on how to do that.

http://www.youtube.com/user/Irvin1944#p/a/u/1/hJHwgzRR_gw

Irvin

aussie
08-10-2010, 05:36 AM
I just place a pen (e.g. Sharpie) between the offending crosses to keep them apart and find this works a treat. I actually use a pen with a cap on that is exactly as wide as the distance between the crosses and the cap stops the pen from falling through. The Boomerang for my old O3 Red was a real pain as it often came out of the O port as I applied tension.

jmverdugo
08-10-2010, 06:08 AM
I string a lot of O3 racquets and these are my boomerang tools:

http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w50/jmverdugo/CIMG2574.jpg

I use these 2 for all the O3 racquets I string with the exception of the last cross of the blue speedport where you definitelly need a break, even if you use a 50-50 pattern.

Irvin
08-10-2010, 06:53 AM
^^ If you do not have a brake, see the Prince stringing instrucitons for stringing without a brake for the speedport blue.

http://www.princetennis.com/tennis/files/stringing_instructions/o3_speedport_blue_SI.pdf

Irvin

jim e
08-10-2010, 07:14 AM
^^ If you do not have a brake, see the Prince stringing instrucitons for stringing without a brake for the speedport blue.

http://www.princetennis.com/tennis/files/stringing_instructions/o3_speedport_blue_SI.pdf

Irvin

You are correct, as Prince recommends this on many O ports where you go from the 3rd to the last cross string to the last cross string, then finish with the 2nd to the last cross string and tension both last cross strings with that last pull.I usually use the brake, and just install in order and tension each one, their optional stringing method listed. .

jmverdugo
08-10-2010, 07:25 AM

Irvin

Thanks for the info Irvin! I wonder why they just did not drill a hole for that last Xs ...

WitheringDemise
08-10-2010, 07:55 AM
I called today, since my friend has an O3 racket, and asked them for a boomerang. Took them about 3 transfers from talking to someone about stringing instructions..Then they just asked for my name and address. When I asked them which one they were sending me, they said that only had 3 different models, and I was getting all of them.

Irvin
08-10-2010, 10:20 AM
I called today, since my friend has an O3 racket, and asked them for a boomerang. Took them about 3 transfers from talking to someone about stringing instructions..Then they just asked for my name and address. When I asked them which one they were sending me, they said that only had 3 different models, and I was getting all of them.

GREAT! Then you will only be missing two of them. LOL

Irvin

drakulie
08-10-2010, 10:46 AM
I called Prince a while back requesting they send me the booerang tools, which they did.

I don't use them because the break on my machine is much faster to use, and much better than the tool. That said, I ordered them in case I ever have to srting on someones machine that doesn't have a break, or in case the break fails mid stringing.

struggle
08-10-2010, 10:57 AM
i ordered some awhile back, never got them. called again today, we'll see.

dude seemed to think they only had two available now, wtf?

Lakers4Life
08-10-2010, 01:20 PM
I got two key chains and two smaller loose ones, as pictured in the previous posted thread (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=329640) and below.
http://i45.tinypic.com/2zplhmo.jpg

Irvin
08-10-2010, 02:04 PM
I got two key chains and two smaller loose ones, as pictured in the previous posted thread (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=329640) and below...

The two on the top are the same. The two on the bottom are for different EXO3 rackets. You are missing the original orange one for the tour models and the EXO3 orange one. Using the wrong one cold damage the frame. I bet you never seen any instuctions that come with those boomerangs that told you what each one was for. LOL

I am not sure if you have looked at my video for stringing 2 piece 50/50 or not but I used the orange one for the EXO3 orange on my hybrid tour. It works ok but in the video you can see where the string does pull away from the frame a little bit. Do that on a racket with pin holes and you may be replacing the grommets.

I am telling you stick with the 2 piece 50/50.

Irvin

Lakers4Life
08-10-2010, 03:35 PM
^^^ One of the keychain is for an O3 White and the other for an O3 Red. There is a slight difference between the two. It a matter of trial and error on which one works. Good thing I have a table brake so it does not really matter, but it's much faster than using a brake.

Irvin
08-10-2010, 04:20 PM
^^ Then there are now six different boomerangs. There is the first orange one neither one of us have, a light gray one I don't have, and the EXO3 orange one you don't have. Who wants to keep up with all these boomerangs? I am going to call Prince tomorrow and find out exactly how many there are and I will let everyone know for sure.

http://i422.photobucket.com/albums/pp304/Irvin44_2008/HPIM2998.jpg

Six different tools to string I don't know how many rackets and nothing to tell you which one to use when. It just does not get any better does it? Pardon my English but it looks like SNAFU all over again. Oh by the way that means Situation Normal All Fouled Up.

Irvin

Lakers4Life
08-10-2010, 05:28 PM
You's think Prince would put a number or some type of marking on them.

Irvin
08-11-2010, 02:34 AM
You's think Prince would put a number or some type of marking on them.

Yes I thought they did but you are telling me the two light grey ones are different. But even if all were different colors you would think they would have something to tell you to use the red one or whatever.

Irvin

Lakers4Life
08-11-2010, 04:58 AM
Yes I thought they did but you are telling me the two light grey ones are different. But even if all were different colors you would think they would have something to tell you to use the red one or whatever.

Irvin

Each of the keychainscame in a ziplock bag with instructions. One for an O3 White and the other for an O3 Red. I had asked for a boomerang for stringing an O3 White and O3 Black. I had strung an O3 black and one worked while the other one slipped through. There is a difference however so slight. I have yet to use the Red and Grey one, but I'm assuming they are for EXO Rebel and Graphites, I had asked for.

Irvin
08-11-2010, 09:40 AM
I talked to Prince and was told by two different people there are four and only four boomerangs. The second person I talked to was very emphatic that there were only four. Two (orange and milky gray) are for the O3 rackets and the two (dark gray and red) are for the EXO3 rackets. There is no cross reference for the boomerangs and rackets. If one does not work use the other.

Irvin

Lakers4Life
08-11-2010, 12:57 PM
I talked to Prince and was told by two different people there are four and only four boomerangs. The second person I talked to was very emphatic that there were only four. Two (orange and milky gray) are for the O3 rackets and the two (dark gray and red) are for the EXO3 rackets. There is no cross reference for the boomerangs and rackets. If one does not work use the other.

Irvin

Did you get them to send you boomerangs?

Irvin
08-11-2010, 01:34 PM
I string a lot of O3 racquets and these are my boomerang tools:

(Image omitted)

I use these 2 for all the O3 racquets I string with the exception of the last cross of the blue speedport where you definitelly need a break, even if you use a 50-50 pattern.

According to the people I talked to at Prince today those are the only two boomerangs for all the Prince O3 rackets. The other two boomerangs are for the EXO3 rackets.

Irvin

hescobal
08-11-2010, 01:45 PM
I still don't understand why these haven't been included with the purchase of a new racquet

Lakers4Life
08-11-2010, 02:08 PM
I still don't understand why these haven't been included with the purchase of a new racquet

Tools like these get easily lost. Like the optional insert guides on some rackets. Also not all owners have a personal stringing machine. I think they should sell them like dampners, for a few bucks a piece. I would be willing to pay that, but FREE is always good.

jmverdugo
08-11-2010, 02:33 PM

They used to be, that is how I got mine.

Irvin
08-11-2010, 02:35 PM

Prince told me today they used to do that but most people used them for a key chain and not for the intended purpose. When they started running short they quit putting them in the bag.

Irvin