PDA

View Full Version : Serving toss and catch with raquet

chatt_town
08-09-2010, 10:06 PM
So we are at a tourney this weekend. This guy throws his toss up for his second serve and catches it with his raquet. Is that a double fault or still second serve? The guy on the other side took the point and said that the ball could not first touch the guys raquet without being caught or hitting the ground first. Another guy on the side with us said it was bs as the server had to go into a service motion first which he did not. What's the rule?

SweetH2O
08-10-2010, 03:27 AM
Another guy on the side with us said it was bs as the server had to go into a service motion first which he did not.

This. Previously answered by Woodrow here.

ibeeskeef
08-10-2010, 08:45 AM
I don't have the rule number in front of me but you are allowed to toss the ball and if you do not make a service motion then the ball can bounce, be caught by hand or be caught by racket without a service being counted. Short answer, it is not a double fault to toss the ball and catch it on your racket and long as you did not make a service attempt.

Figjam
08-10-2010, 11:24 AM
I believe you're wrong, touching the ball with the racket constitutes as putting the ball in play.
What if they guy was trying to serve underhanded?

bcart1991
08-10-2010, 11:32 AM
I believe you're wrong, touching the ball with the racket constitutes as putting the ball in play.
What if they guy was trying to serve underhanded?

If he makes an attempt to hit the ball, then yes, it would be considered a fault. If he does not make said attempt, then no fault.

gmatheis
08-10-2010, 05:52 PM
from the official USTA rules

Case 1: After tossing a ball to serve, the server decides not to hit it and
catches it instead. Is this a fault?
Decision: No. A player, who tosses the ball and then decides not to hit it, is
allowed to catch the ball with the hand or the racket, or to let the ball bounce.