PDA

View Full Version : USTA Men's 4.0 League Nationals

XFactorer
08-10-2010, 01:01 PM
Anyone have any experience at League Nationals? My team just advanced from the Pacific Northwest Sectionals this weekend. This is my second year playing League so I have little experience. I win my matches, but is that enough to be successful at Nationals?

I have one singles loss all season. Undefeated in doubles with my awesome partner. I know for sure I'm gonna be bumped to 4.5 next year; so, I want to make the most of this opportunity to win Nationals. I'd love any advice/story/suggestion from any player who's played Nationals or even gotten to their own Sectionals.

Matt H.
08-10-2010, 01:20 PM
our club's 4.0 team went to nationals for 2006 when it was in Hawaii.

It's the best of the best. Ringers playing fellow ringers in some cases.

Enjoy! I wish i could have gone.

atatu
08-10-2010, 02:35 PM
Avoid going into it with the "just happy to be here" attitude or you'll leave feeling like you did not give it your best. On the other hand, if you lose the first couple of matches, don't get so upset that you don't take the time to enjoy the whole experience. I went back in 2002 and there were guys on my team at these two opposite extremes.

dizzlmcwizzl
08-10-2010, 06:14 PM
Congratulations ... we get to take our shot at nationals next weekend.

XFactorer
08-10-2010, 06:34 PM

Sweet! Which section are you gonna represent?

Right now I'm in the mindset of "I'm happy to get there!" Just like I was happy to make it to regionals. And sectionals. I must say, though, I played out of my mind on day 2 of the event where I hit a few shots that left my partner and my two opponents' mouths gaped open. Hopefully I can hit a few more of those at Nationals.

And speaking of regionals... funny thing: For the Southern Oregon flight, supposedly there was a wild card spot, so two teams were going to advance. But, it ended up being only one team and we didn't find that out later until a few weeks after regionals. Luckily, my team was #1.

Dude, we need to do a TW Forums Meet Up or somethin' at Nationals for all the other people who make it!

J_R_B
08-11-2010, 05:15 AM

Our Eastern team has sectionals that weekend in Syracuse, too. You guys can't have Sean and Terry, sorry.

Unfortunately, I pulled a muscle in my ribcage playing a tournament last night and it hurts like hell to do things like move and breathe, so it doesn't look like I'm going to be able to play. I'm not really in the starting lineup for that team anyway, but with 5 matches in 3 days, I'm sure I could have gotten in 1 or 2 if I could go.

tnnsman7
08-11-2010, 07:02 AM

We haven't even played our state finals yet(this weekend). Then sectionals are in Indy the next weekend. How can some teams be going to Nationals already, with others not even to their state finals yet?

dizzlmcwizzl
08-11-2010, 11:16 AM
We haven't even played our state finals yet(this weekend). Then sectionals are in Indy the next weekend. How can some teams be going to Nationals already, with others not even to their state finals yet?

These happen all different weekends.

tnnsman7
08-11-2010, 11:34 AM
I realize state finals as well as sectionals happen all different weekends. He said he was going to Nationals next weekend. I was asking how nationals can start before sectionals are done.

J_R_B
08-11-2010, 11:42 AM

I realize state finals as well as sectionals happen all different weekends. He said he was going to Nationals next weekend. I was asking how nationals can start before sectionals are done.

I think you misread the original quote. "Take our shot at nationals" refers to playing in sectionals (i.e. "take our shot at getting to nationals"). Dizz is in Middle States and sectionals are next weekend.

tnnsman7
08-11-2010, 12:43 PM
I think you misread the original quote. "Take our shot at nationals" refers to playing in sectionals (i.e. "take our shot at getting to nationals"). Dizz is in Middle States and sectionals are next weekend.

I see, a very positive approach. Nothing wrong with that.

CrispyFritters
08-11-2010, 10:19 PM
OP, I think you got to go with 2 possible plans.
#1 - Try your best to be competitive and win.
#2 - In case the first few matches don't go well (and you're probably out), be ready to party it up at night and enjoy the experience of being there.

XFactorer
08-11-2010, 10:54 PM
Apparently it's a round-robin event... so, even if we lose a match here and there, we MIGHT be able to advance to the semi-finals.

tennislefty
08-12-2010, 03:22 AM
play your game! remember you are all 4.0's at Natoinals! i have heard from someone who was there twice, its no different than any other 4.0 matches! have fun! congrats!

XFactorer
08-12-2010, 09:11 AM
I dunno... the 4.0 team we played in the Sectionals final had a computer-ranked kid who clearly was higher than a 4.0 player. And he played community college tennis. I'm afraid of THOSE teams making to Nationals.

But, I'm probably the upper tier of the 4.0 food chain, so it looks like next year I'll be fresh meat for the 4.5 community. :-/

Fedace
08-12-2010, 09:14 AM
our club's 4.0 team went to nationals for 2006 when it was in Hawaii.

It's the best of the best. Ringers playing fellow ringers in some cases.

Enjoy! I wish i could have gone.

yes yes,, mmm bump up some more 4.0 to 4.5,,,,more lambs for the slaughter.....:)

wvtennis
08-12-2010, 09:25 AM
My 4.0 team has States this weekend, then Sectionals the following weekend, like a few of the other posters have stated. Last year we were one superbreaker away from making Nationals. Im hoping I can join you at Nationals this year!

XFactorer
08-12-2010, 02:16 PM
My 4.0 team has States this weekend, then Sectionals the following weekend, like a few of the other posters have stated. Last year we were one superbreaker away from making Nationals. Im hoping I can join you at Nationals this year!

Seriously, we're gonna have to do a TW Forum meet up at Nationals for all who make it!

And hotels and flights are being booked up quickly, so get on it! My team is flying into PHX and then driving down to Tucson.

XFactorer
08-12-2010, 03:35 PM
Which other sectionals are happening this weekend or soon? Or where do I find Sectional Tourney info? How many Sections are there? How many teams will advance to the Nationals?

new_tennis_player
08-12-2010, 04:09 PM
What's the point of being a "ringer"?

In 4.0's, is there any prize money at stake? A shiny trophy?

What tangible benefit if any exists for playing down? I would think that the guilt of beating players at lower levels would negate any satisfaction of winning.

Would a senior in high school enjoy hitting a homerun in a middle school game or in little league against 6 year old pitchers?

tnnsman7
08-12-2010, 05:52 PM
Which other sectionals are happening this weekend or soon? Or where do I find Sectional Tourney info? How many Sections are there? How many teams will advance to the Nationals?

Looks like 17
http://www.usta.com/About-USTA/Organization/Sections/Sections/

XFactorer
08-13-2010, 12:07 AM
What's the point of being a "ringer"?

In 4.0's, is there any prize money at stake? A shiny trophy?

What tangible benefit if any exists for playing down? I would think that the guilt of beating players at lower levels would negate any satisfaction of winning.

Would a senior in high school enjoy hitting a homerun in a middle school game or in little league against 6 year old pitchers?

Some people just like the feeling of winning. I prefer the feeling of being pushed. As long as I'm pushed to my limits (and I'm hitting great shots) I'm happy... even if my opponent hits and even better one.

Angle Queen
08-13-2010, 02:17 AM
Which other sectionals are happening this weekend or soon? Or where do I find Sectional Tourney info? How many Sections are there? How many teams will advance to the Nationals?The Mid-Atlantic Sectional is this weekend at Huntington Park in Newport News, Virginia. Know...because I'm going. :)

Here is our section's championships info (http://www.midatlantic.usta.com/2010_adult_sectional_championships/). Round Robin format with only one team from each gender/NTRP skill level going to Nationals.

Good luck to all those participating!!!

XFactorer
08-13-2010, 11:38 AM
So... they'll have just 17 teams go? No wild cards?

I just booked my flights! I'm all too excited... this is my first time and hopefully won't be my last. I hear some guys on my team have been trying for 20+ years. And this is year 2 for me. :-P I'm only 24, so I have plenty of time to go again.

wvtennis
08-16-2010, 10:16 AM
Heading to ******* Sectionals next week in Indy! Should be a good time, Ive never been!

XFactorer
08-16-2010, 01:17 PM
Heading to ******* Sectionals next week in Indy! Should be a good time, Ive never been!

I'm guessing the asterisks are Mid W3st... oh, censorship.

Yeah, I was happy to make it to regionals my second year of league. And then to Sectionals. And now, Nationals!

You in the 4.0 leagues, too?

robert
08-16-2010, 04:24 PM
When did you guys know there is no Wild Card for 2nd place?
Is it before or after the local playoff?

Our district has a wild card also, but don't know whether is will be cancelled at the last minute.

XFactorer
08-16-2010, 08:36 PM
When did you guys know there is no Wild Card for 2nd place?
Is it before or after the local playoff?

Our district has a wild card also, but don't know whether is will be cancelled at the last minute.

We were all under the impression there would be two team advancing from our Oregon Regionals. After my team beat the other team in the regionals, we all celebrated as if we were going to go to Sectionals. I think it might have been a week later that I heard the news that, nope, no wild card for our region. It was a miscommunication. Luckily my team went to sectionals... and now, nationals! In Arizona, too!