PDA

View Full Version : Thanks Wilson, for size 6 grips

gregraven
05-26-2005, 05:04 PM
I apologize if everyone else already knows this, but I just discovered that Wilson offers at least some of its racquets in a size 6 (4-3/4 inch) grip. For years, it seems as though only Volkl offered size 6 grips on some racquets. It's really nice to see some additional consideration for those of us outside of the "95th percentile."

PrestigeClassic
05-26-2005, 11:59 PM
Yup, the Hyper Pro Staff 6.1 was one such frame. However, it felt terrible with the synthetic grip--too round. Perhaps it needs a leather. Older rackets with L6 gripsizes and leather grips feel great.

gregraven
05-28-2005, 03:50 PM
I think it may be the leather grip, rather than the age of the racquet.

Michelangelo
05-28-2005, 03:59 PM
Oh really? Damn, I just got enlarged grips of all of my rackets from L5 to L6. (I usually go to 2 different stores for stringing. After trying various enlarged sizes and going back and forth to one of the store several times for resizing, I finally picked L6. When I told this to the store owner of anther one, he was surprised that I use L6 since he'd adviced me not to do so as the fact that large grip size prevents the movement of my wrist, and even most pro players were using small grips such as L3 or L4 except Sampras' L7.)

Michelangelo
05-28-2005, 04:01 PM
Yup, the Hyper Pro Staff 6.1 was one such frame. However, it felt terrible with the synthetic grip--too round. Perhaps it needs a leather. Older rackets with L6 gripsizes and leather grips feel great.

Yeah!. Even the quality of leather grip does affect the hand feel a lot!

gregraven
05-28-2005, 09:25 PM
(snip) When I told this to the store owner of anther one, he was surprised that I use L6 since he'd adviced me not to do so as the fact that large grip size prevents the movement of my wrist, and even most pro players were using small grips such as L3 or L4 except Sampras' L7.)

I've heard this many times before, and I don't buy it. I used to use a 5-1/8 inch grip, and my wrist can move all over the place. I have no idea what people mean when they say this.