PDA

View Full Version : If You've EVER Doubted Alpha... Doubt No More!

meowmix
08-10-2010, 07:27 PM
Alpha's customer service is legendary. They have a great reputation on these boards for having some of the best pre sale customer service AND some of the best post sale customer service. Here's a little story about my situation.

I bought an Alpha String Pal back in November 08. It came in a few days, but when I opened up the package, I found that Alpha forgot to include regular clamps and instead gave me 4 badminton clamps. Emailed Alpha... No problem! They rush shipped me a pair of regular clamps and told me to keep the badminton ones.

Two months later, I notice a couple of cracks on my swivel bar. Email Alpha about the problem... In three days, I had a new swivel bar sitting on my front porch.

Fast forward to today. While stringing the last cross of my new k95, something snapped in my tensioner. Had no idea what it was, but emailed Alpha with a description of the problem and requested info on how to fix it. This was 5 minutes ago. 2 minutes ago, Mark emailed me back with what the problem was, how to fix it, and that he would be mailing me the parts to fix it with tomorrow.

This was all done FREE OF CHARGE. They've always been extremely prompt in their replies, and extremely courteous. That is GREAT customer service!

LttlElvis
08-10-2010, 08:18 PM
Note to self: Don't buy an Alpha String Pal.

You are right though, Mark at Alpha has always been friendly and helpful.

Irvin
08-11-2010, 03:32 AM
^^ Ditto. I have had my Gamma for about three years now and have not had one single problem. But if I do I have their number, email, website, and Bret is always available on these boards to help. That is what I call customer service. Their if you need them.

Irvin

Rabbit
08-11-2010, 05:05 AM
Yeah, some years ago, I mentioned on the boards that a buddy of mine had an Alpha and couldn't get it calibrated. I received an e-mail from Alpha asking me to either get him to call them or give them his phone number so they could call him or his address so they could mail him a manual.

I've never seen that kind of customer service... Truly awesome.

mikeler
08-11-2010, 05:19 AM
Any stringing machine company named after a Greek letter has good customer service.

denj3325
08-11-2010, 02:16 PM
Any stringing machine company named after a Greek letter has good customer service.

Haha, well played

jgrushing
08-11-2010, 03:54 PM
So, they got the initial order wrong and two things have broken in the first two years--good thing they have good service.

My Klippermate is 20 years old and I have no idea how their service is (I hear it's good) because they sent all the right stuff and nothing's ever given me a problem at all.

Jack2010
08-11-2010, 06:02 PM
I've had my Gamma XST for about a year now. I've never needed to call customer service because it's been totally problem free....isn't that better than needing customer service? :)

RockyMtSlam
08-11-2010, 06:44 PM
I've had my Alpha Axis Pro for over a year now with ZERO issues at all, and it has been a great investment for me personally. Even so, all stringing machine manufactures produce defective parts on occasion, but given this fact it is so reassuring that Alpha's customer service (and Mark) are always there if needed.

meowmix
08-11-2010, 07:16 PM
In my opinion, it's better that I've gotten great customer service than it is that I've had a troublefree machine. Yes, it would have been a lot less annoying had I gotten a machine that had 0 problems. However, I'm very grateful for the great customer service.

Everybody screws up sometime. There is NO company in this world that can guarantee that 100% of the products that make it out the door are defective free. I don't care if the company's name is Rolex, Tiffany, or whatever... there will be a defect or two along the way. What really matters is what happens after the sale. Some companies will do absolutely nothing. Other companies will fix their problems, and then go the extra step. Have other people had fewer problems with their Gamma X-2's than I have had with my Alpha String Pal? Yes. However, I know that if anything goes wrong, Alpha will go out of their way to correct that problem ASAP. Can Gamma or Eagnas or Silent Partner promise the same thing? I don't know.

Put it this way. What if you were in the 1% of customers from, say, Eagnas that got a defective machine or a machine that constantly ran into problems. Would Eagnas go out of their way to make you satisfied? Probably not. If you're in the 99% of customers that don't, then you're fine. But if you are... then you have problems.

My point is... it's great to make something be problem free. However, it's even better to know that if something ever does happen, you're in good hands. Alpha, like every company, has a low failure rate. However, every one of their (few) failures is backed by amazing customer service. That's why I'll continue to buy from Alpha if I need to. Most likely, I'll get a defective free machine. However, in the unlikely chance that I get something with defects, Alpha, Mark and Greg will have my back.

lawdog
08-11-2010, 07:50 PM
There is NO company in this world that can guarantee that 100% of the products that make it out the door are defective free. I don't care if the company's name is Rolex, Tiffany, or whatever...

I think you misunderstand the concept of a guarantee. Almost every company guarantees 100% of the products they sell (and unless they use a proper disclaimer, then the law compels them to do so). If this were not the case, then when you got a defective product, the company would just say "too bad, you must have purchased one of the X% of products that we don't guarantee.

What really matters is what happens after the sale.

Uh, yeah, I have to disagree here. I would much prefer good product from the beginning (or a great price, see below). This way, you avoid the delay and hassle (if any) of enforcing the guarantee.

Put it this way. What if you were in the 1% of customers from, say, Eagnas that got a defective machine or a machine that constantly ran into problems. Would Eagnas go out of their way to make you satisfied? Probably not. If you're in the 99% of customers that don't, then you're fine. But if you are... then you have problems.

Just because I think all the Eagnas bashing on this forum is unwarranted, I'll chime in here too. When I purchased my Combo 910 from Eagnas, they sent two sets of mounting stocks and no tension head. I called and promptly received (i) an apology, (ii) an explanation (they inadvertently sent someone else two tension heads and no mounting stocks), (iii) the tension head shipped to me and (iv) a return shipping label via email for the extra set of mounting stocks. I was told to use the box from the tension head and arranged for UPS to pickup at my home address. In other words, except for the few days waiting for the tension head, there was no difficultly/inconvenience from the experience.

My point is... it's great to make something be problem free.

Agreed, but I can take comfort in the fact that I paid several hundred less than I would have from Alpha or Gamma and my (small) problem was dealt with quickly and professionally.

max
08-11-2010, 11:38 PM
My Klippermate's so damn solid that you could throw it through the wall and it would still work.

It's made to old-style manufacturing standards!!!

Power Player
08-13-2010, 08:33 AM
Alpha is super quality when it comes to Customer Service. The build quality of the String Pal is also very good. If you are new to stringing, it is a HUGE help to have a guy like Mark to call.