PDA

View Full Version : stringing kevlar hybrid

aznlob
08-10-2010, 09:08 PM
Hey guys, I posted this earlier but had no reply. This will be my first time stringing kevlar. Any tips I need to know before doing so? Is it like stringing poly? All advice is greatly appreciated.

This is my buddy's racquet that I'll be stringing. He prefers stringing at 57 lbs. The package is forten sweet kevlar, where the mains are kevlar and the cross is forten sweet. On the string package, it states that you should string 10% lower. What tension should I string the mains at, and furthermore, do I also lower the cross tension as well. Thanks.

Irvin
08-11-2010, 02:28 AM
Without a doubt Forten kevlar is the worst to string. The kevlar string is 'skicky' and you are going to find it difficult to weave a soft cross like Sweet 16 through the mains. After you string it you will have an idea of what I mean.

As for as it being like poly it isn't even a little bit like it. Poly is usually smooth this stuff is like sand paper. Poly is stiff and most kevlar is very soft and pliable but not this particular type it is a little stiff. Cross string usually move over poly mains very easily but not this 'sticky' stuff.

Oh and BTW I hate Forten kevlar. Bet you could not tell that could you?

Irvin

aznlob
08-11-2010, 09:42 PM
yikes, after reading your reply, I'm already dreading the stringing. I'll let you know how it goes. Also, do you have to lower the tension for the cross string as well? Thanks Irvin

Irvin
08-12-2010, 01:46 AM
No I would not lower the tension on the cross string.

Irvin

Irvin
08-12-2010, 03:23 AM
You are going to have to let me know what you think of that string. I wonder how many stringers out there dislike stringing it as much as I do.

Irvin

Bud
08-12-2010, 04:52 AM
Hey guys, I posted this earlier but had no reply. This will be my first time stringing kevlar. Any tips I need to know before doing so? Is it like stringing poly? All advice is greatly appreciated.

This is my buddy's racquet that I'll be stringing. He prefers stringing at 57 lbs. The package is forten sweet kevlar, where the mains are kevlar and the cross is forten sweet. On the string package, it states that you should string 10% lower. What tension should I string the mains at, and furthermore, do I also lower the cross tension as well. Thanks.

yikes, after reading your reply, I'm already dreading the stringing. I'll let you know how it goes. Also, do you have to lower the tension for the cross string as well? Thanks Irvin

I also used to string this exact hybrid quite a bit. I never ran into all the problems that Irvin is discussing.

Let us know how it goes when you're finished.

Irvin
08-12-2010, 05:19 AM
There are actually two different Forten kevlar strings. One is the Thin blend that has a 17 Kevlar string and a synthetic gut cross. The other one, the Aramid Gear, is the one I don't like to string. I have no idea of how it plays. It has a Kevlar 17 gauge core and 15 gauge teeth. Those teeth make the string feel like it has diamond dust on the string. Then the crosses are Forten Sweet 16. You combine those teeth with the soft Sweet 16 and there's your problem. I am having night mares (all I see if a big black horse coming straight at me LOL) just thinking about that string.

Let me know what you think.

Irvin

coachrick
08-12-2010, 05:28 AM
Of course, a lot depends on the racket being strung. I used New Age 18 kev for years in my own Volkls. Would hybrid it with something fun(NXT, NRG, nat gut). No problems at all with that set up. I see Irwin is referencing the different 'models' of Forten kevlar as I type this. I surely would NOT enjoy a 16ga kev/syn combo in some 18 X 20 mid!(BUT, I've strung worse!). 17 or 18ga certainly would be easier, especially first time trying it.

For sure, I would string 'one ahead' on the crosses...helps keep things straight as you go along.

The 10% drop on the Kevlar is about right; although, I used to string my Tour 10 M+ at about 45# on the mains, 55 on crosses.

Have fun!

coachrick
08-12-2010, 05:33 AM
There are actually two different Forten kevlar strings. One is the Thin blend that has a 17 Kevlar string and a synthetic gut cross. The other one, the Aramid Gear, is the one I don't like to string. I have no idea of how it plays. It has a Kevlar 17 gauge core and 15 gauge teeth. Those teeth make the string feel like it has diamond dust on the string. Then the crosses are Forten Sweet 16. You combine those teeth with the soft Sweet 16 and there's your problem. I am having night mares (all I see if a big black horse coming straight at me LOL) just thinking about that string.

Irvin

OMG!!! ARGH!!! I'm flashing back to some customer in the mid-'90s who insisted on 16ga Kevlar(Pro Blend) mains and GAMMA RUFF crosses!!! GAG! Was that in a Yonex RQ360 or some such?!? I've blocked it from my memory banks!!! :)

Irvin
08-12-2010, 06:43 AM
^^ I had a customer that always wanted 16 gauge Ashaway Kevlar mains with Gamma Ruff crosses in a Head Radical 18x20 racket strung at 63 lbs. No problem at all compared to Forten Gear.

Irvin

coachrick
08-12-2010, 07:25 AM
^^16 gauge Ashaway Kevlar mains with Gamma Ruff crosses in a Head Radical 18x20 racket strung at 63 lbs.

Irvin

Poor little racket! :) Could you even SEE through the string bed?

Bud
08-12-2010, 12:45 PM

Irvin

Aramid gear is a PITA to string.

goran_ace
08-12-2010, 12:51 PM
OP, kevlar does not stretch at all so my advice would be to measure out so you know you'll have enough string at the tail to pull tension and to tie knots. Also, if you are using a dropweight tensioner the bar will only have to move a few inches before it stops so plan accordingly when tensioning.

txt858
08-13-2010, 09:38 AM
I use Ashaway Kevlar and cut 19.5 feet in length for the mains on my Babolat AeroPro. Using a dropweight tensioner.

aznlob
08-16-2010, 08:30 PM
Hey guys, just letting you know that I've been gone all weekend,so I haven't had a chance to string it yet. Will let you all know how it goes. Thanks again, folks.

PBODY99
08-17-2010, 01:38 PM

Irvin

I had one player who used Forten Gear, but I would use PSGD for the crosses and charge him for the half set of Prince on top of the price of the gear. Sweet would not hold up, and it was harder to weave.

Irvin
08-18-2010, 03:19 AM
I had one player who used Forten Gear, but I wwould use PSGD for the crosses and charge him for the half set of Prince on top of the price of the gear. Sweet would not hold up, and it was harder to weave.

I would agree that would be easier. The soft Sweet 16 string in the corsses does not help any.

Irvin