PDA

View Full Version : Tell me about this Yonex

eric draven
05-26-2005, 06:37 PM
Hey everyone, I've been away from the game for almost a year now and have recently started hitting once every couple of weeks. I gave away almost all of my gear including my racquets so I can barely find my shorts and shoes nowadays. But anyway, the reason I'm posting is because I am fortunate to have a very good friend who got me the Yonex RD Ti 80 recently. I guess this is the new Schrichapan racquet (and no I have no idea if I spelled that correctly). Have any of you hit with this racquet and if so can you tell me about it? My old stick was the Fischer Pro One FT but I gave them away. Any info is greatly appreciated.

dirtballer
05-27-2005, 12:08 PM
I use the TI-80. It's not really a new racket - I've had mine for several years. Yonex seems to be pushing the RDX 500 now but the TI-80 is still in production. My personal opinion is that the TI-80 is not a great serving racket but is decent from the baseline and the net. Also, I've never had any arm problems with this racket. Once again this is my opinion but I feel the TI-80 performs best at a lower string tension. However, I know some people on this board string the TI-80 in the 60's with success so I guess it really depends on your game. Also, I don't add any lead to the frame or handle but I know some people do. Experiment with tension and weight and I think you'll like the racket.

armand
08-23-2005, 11:02 PM
I use the TI-80. It's not really a new racket - I've had mine for several years. Yonex seems to be pushing the RDX 500 now but the TI-80 is still in production. My personal opinion is that the TI-80 is not a great serving racket but is decent from the baseline and the net. Also, I've never had any arm problems with this racket. Once again this is my opinion but I feel the TI-80 performs best at a lower string tension. However, I know some people on this board string the TI-80 in the 60's with success so I guess it really depends on your game. Also, I don't add any lead to the frame or handle but I know some people do. Experiment with tension and weight and I think you'll like the racket.Interesting because I think the best part of the ti80 is the serving and i find it a little inconsistent and much too powerful off the ground.
And yeah, I play with a big, fast full swing and 99% of racquets are too powerful for me. I string mine to 67lbs. I have to.
Oh yes, and I wanted to add weight to the handle and it took me 90 minutes to get the butt cap off only to find that it isn't hollow. :(
Well the only thing I could do was stick a few coins at the butt and stick the cap back on(I used glue). Should be enough and the length of the racquet is very slightly increased(3 or 4mm).

KOtennis
08-25-2005, 02:47 PM
Ti-80 is a great racquet.
my favorite second only to the RD-7.
it is a control racquet and has good weight.

armand
08-25-2005, 03:26 PM
When is TW gonna finally do a review of the ti-80? It's been around for quite a while and it ain't going anywhere anytime soon. It's a player's racquet, and 'player's' are far more likely to go onto TW than those looking for granny sticks, so what's the story?

milo
08-26-2005, 08:41 AM
yes, when? i'm still waiting for it.