PDA

View Full Version : Video - Tennis stringing tips #1

Irvin
08-11-2010, 02:52 AM
Ever want to not use a starting knot but don't have a starting clamp. Here is a method of starting crosses without a starting clamp or a starting knot.

Ever want to use a grommet hole that is really tight for a tie off? I hate using an awl in a string grommet with a string in there already. So I do everything I can not to use an awl.

http://www.youtube.com/user/Mr10sStringer#p/a/u/0/85aD5xHjjas

Irvin

jim e
08-11-2010, 04:34 AM
Another great job Irvin!!
You know that you are now world famous!!

Irvin
08-11-2010, 04:36 AM
^^ More like world infamous, but thanks. LOL

Irvin

jim e
08-11-2010, 04:47 AM
You know Irvin, about a month ago, I had my starting clamp slip on me when I was starting my cross strings stringing nat. gut.I was pulling 70 lbs. and the string pulled right through the clamp. It was my own fault for not keeping the clamp clean, but this made me gun shy pulling against the starting clamp with that force, so the past month I have been starting my cross strings , basically the same way as your video, when I am stringing nat. gut. It is a nice way to start cross strings.Its basically the same way as I start the mains.

Irvin
08-11-2010, 09:00 AM
^^ 'jim e' I could be wrong but it would seem to mee if you pull tension directly on a clamp there is a much better chance of the clamp slipping no matter how good, clean, and adjusted it is. I never have started crosses with a starting clamp pulling directly on that clamp without setting tension in the clamp first.

If I were you and using the method I showed to start the crosses without a starting clamp when I pulled tension on the second cross I might release all the clamps on the first two crosses AFTER PULLING TENSION just to equalize the tension in those first two strings. That should take out any drawback problem you may have introduced and by pulling two string you should not be putting too much pressure on the knot.

Irvin

jim e
08-11-2010, 09:11 AM
^^ 'jim e' I could be wrong but it would seem to mee if you pull tension directly on a clamp there is a much better chance of the clamp slipping no matter how good, clean, and adjusted it is. I never have started crosses with a starting clamp pulling directly on that clamp without setting tension in the clamp first.

If I were you and using the method I showed to start the crosses without a starting clamp when I pulled tension on the second cross I might release all the clamps on the first two crosses AFTER PULLING TENSION just to equalize the tension in those first two strings. That should take out any drawback problem you may have introduced and by pulling two string you should not be putting too much pressure on the knot.

Irvin

What I do is when I place the anchor clamp on the 2nd cross , I also back that up with the starting clamp at the end of that 2nd cross on the outside of the racquet, then tension and clamp and tie off the 1st cross, release the 1st cross clamp, then go back to the 2nd cross, pull tension, release the starting clamp, release the anchor clamp, and then clamp the 2nd cross as normal. I also start the mains this way now, as it was in an issue of RSI a while back starting mains with the starting clamp backing up the machines clamp this way, and seemed like a nice way to start strings, as it places less stress on the initial clamp, plus the anchor clamp stays in proper position without falling down with the starting clamp holding some tension on that string for a short duration (with the main strings starting) .

athiker
08-12-2010, 08:26 AM
Nice job on the videos Irvin. I bookmarked the knot one as I still usually need a quick reminder before stringing as I'm still pretty new and there is usually quite a bit of time between stringings for me.

Makes me wish I had fixed clamps again...but really I just need to pick up a starting clamp at some point. There still isn't a way to start the crosses using flying clamps and no starting knot is there (and no starting clamp)?

A starting clamp seems so useful...I needed one once when I came up short on string too.

Though now that I'm thinking about it...has anyone used a flying clamp as a starting clamp or a string bridge? If I ran the string through both sides of my Klippermate flying clamp it would probably work, yes? Or am I just brain cramping sitting here at my computer? If I recall correctly, I only use one flying clamp while doing the crosses, so have the other one available.

I only string for myself, about 6x so far, so have limited experience.

Irvin
08-12-2010, 08:44 AM
Makes me wish I had fixed clamps again...but really I just need to pick up a starting clamp at some point. There still isn't a way to start the crosses using flying clamps and no starting knot is there (and no starting clamp)?

Where there's a will there's a way. Look for it in my next video. There are a lot of people out there will flying clamps.

Irvin

jswinf
08-12-2010, 09:09 AM
Thanks for the video, good tips.