PDA

View Full Version : Prince Equipe MP - my comments

jafojel
04-18-2004, 12:15 AM
There has been the occassional posting on this racquet which I'm currently using, so I thought I'd share my experiences. Recently, have also been demoing the HPS 6.1 since the Equipe is no longer in production and a replacement is inevitable sooner or later (hopefully later, much later!).

I'm a 3.5, on a good day, a 4.0, doubles player.

I confirm earlier comments that this is a sweet stick. To be sure, it's heavy, but feels much lighter on swinging. I like the weight as it seems to provide much stability - hardly any twisting of the racquet on impact which I'm prone to with light racquets. The HPS may be slightly heavier but you can feel it's less manouverable. Happy with groundies on the both of them - Equipe is more powerful as the HPS requires a longer / fuller swing. I could not get anywhere if I was late on the HPS. Found it requires some effort to generate topspin on the HPS. On hard-hit shots, I could handle it a little better with the HPS - often, it's merely a matter of sticking out the racquet. The trick is getting the racquet to the ball in the first place! On slices, the Equipe wins hands down; much better than any other racquet i've tried. Serves were pretty much even - both require full service motions to make the most of them. Correct technique is required to prevent damage to shoulder! Volleys were also even - Equipe gets the nod for being more manouverable whilst HPS for being extremely solid on balls drilled right at you!

i'm almost convinced to forego ligher racquets from here on; even 'tweeners' for 'player's' racquets. Sure, I'll 'frame' every ball or so but the payback when you hit one ball in the sweetspot is so good that I'll gladly pay that price. Also, because of the weight, you will get tired if you're not physically strong, especially in singles, but doubles over three sets was not a problem for me.

netman
04-20-2004, 02:57 AM
jafojel,

Thanks for your post. I have been looking for info on the Equipe and this was very helpful.