PDA

View Full Version : I likeALU at 55, what tension should I try Babolat Blast?

blastforehand
08-11-2010, 11:06 AM
Hi, I like Alu power 1.25 at 55/52, for a good comparison what tension should I try for Babolat Blast 1.25 to more or less equalize power?

Preston
08-11-2010, 12:55 PM
IMO you have it backwards eG.

If you want to try a new string, string it at the same tension as your previous string. It's the only way you will know how different/similar it really is.

blastforehand
08-11-2010, 02:58 PM
My current theory is that it is best to control for variables as well as possible, in this case trying to match approximate power levels through string tension, then perhaps I can make some determination of other relative string characteristics. Of course probably the only good way to tell much of anything from one string to another is to test multiple sets at various tensions.

XFactorer
08-11-2010, 03:42 PM
My current theory is that it is best to control for variables as well as possible, in this case trying to match approximate power levels through string tension, then perhaps I can make some determination of other relative string characteristics. Of course probably the only good way to tell much of anything from one string to another is to test multiple sets at various tensions.

Ok... let's throw some math terms here. Your "unknown" variable is the power level of the RPM Blast. You know your tension that you like and it's relative power when using ALU Power. You want "power" to be the same, say Pa for power of the ALU Power and Pb for the power of the RPM Blast... A for ALU, B for Blast. Anyway.

Power = string's power*tension

If you want the powers to be equal, then you want Pa=Pb.

Thus,

Pa = ALU's power * your tension
Pb = Blast's power * unknown tension

So, Blast's Power = (ALU's power* your tension)/(unknown tension).

Hence, you really have two unknowns. Think of the "tension" as the independent variable (x) where you can change it and the power output of the racquet/RPM blast DEPENDS on your tension - the dependent variable.

Anyway, long story short (and I purposefully made it needlessly long), do what Preston suggested.

kiteboard
08-11-2010, 04:46 PM
STring it higher by 5lbs. It's way softer than alu, and less pop, more spin, more of a thud sound or a thunk sound when hit with. Softer strings like gut have to be strung higher to lessen trampoline, or multis, or softer copolys or even some soft polys, like tour bite/barb wire.