PDA

View Full Version : Can someone from America please help

batz
08-11-2010, 01:35 PM
I know it's not about tennis but I don't think anyone reads the other forums.

OK - I'm not a great lover of what you might call American Sports e.g. basketball, baseball, ice hockey, but I have very much enjoyed the NFL this last year or 2 as a very casual observer. I plan to watch more this year but would like to support a team.

So, please help this sad Scotsman choose an NFL team to support. Thanks.

PS - no teams who play in green and white - apologies to anyone who likes green and white

jamesblakefan#1
08-11-2010, 01:43 PM
People read O&E. That's actually a good place to put this.

If you want to pick a front runner - teams like the Patriots, Cowboys, Colts, Saints, Chargers, Packers come to mind. Cowboys/Pats are like the Man U and Chelsea of the NFL. Cowboys have the history, and are 'America's Team' but most NFL fans hate Cowboys fans b/c of this fact.

I'd say good teams to follow who won't be juggernauts but still will be competitive are Bengals, Ravens, Titans, Cardinals, Falcons, Panthers. Bengals, Cards are known for strong offense, Ravens, Titans known for great defense.

I'm a Raiders fan, and as you probably know we stink, but I still support them b/c I'm not a front runner.

It's all about preference.

norbac
08-11-2010, 01:47 PM
Rams, they've got Steven Jackson and he's got sweet hair.

Or the Broncos, they have Tim Tebow and he's a man's man. He's such a sweetheart. <3

Bud
08-11-2010, 02:04 PM

OK - I'm not a great lover of what you might call American Sports e.g. basketball, baseball, ice hockey, but I have very much enjoyed the NFL this last year or 2 as a very casual observer. I plan to watch more this year but would like to support a team.

PS - no teams who play in green and white - apologies to anyone who likes green and white

Don't choose the Chargers... they suck :)

Blinkism
08-11-2010, 02:24 PM
You're from Great Britain so you could cheer for New England?

:lol:

but don't

Vyse
08-11-2010, 02:37 PM
Rams, they've got Steven Jackson and he's got sweet hair.

Or the Broncos, they have Time Tebow and he's a man's man. He's such a sweetheart. <3

Good call. Bronconation!!! Tebow will lead this team to a Super Bowl

Feņa14
08-11-2010, 02:51 PM

Ahh NFL eh? I've always been an ice hockey fan, the fast paced continuous end-to-end action is brilliant. ESPN are doing a great job of covering it over here, if you've got the channel for the football you should give the hockey another chance.

Fifth Set
08-11-2010, 02:55 PM
LOL, I trust from the comments on green and white that you are not a Celtic fan!

Anyway, if you are all about cheering for the winner (see, e.g., the legions of NBA Los Angeles Lakers fanboys), then you will want to pick the Saints, which won the last Super Bowl and figure to be a good team again this year. The Colts, last year's runner up, have had several good years. Teams like the Patriots, Cowboys, Jets get a lot of interest nationally due to past triumphs and large fan bases in their home cities.

But, when you're following an American sport, might as well dive in the American way and cheer for an underdog franchise that has some class.

So, I will echo the votes for the beloved Denver Broncos. They have won in the past, need the support now, play the game in an exciting way and always field at least an entertaining team. Plus, John Elway, their classy former QB who led them to two Super Bowl titles, is a great athlete, businessman and person.

http://i2.cdn.turner.com/si/2008/magazine/specials/sportsman/2008/10/31/wahl.elway/john-elway.jpg

http://sportsguru09.files.wordpress.com/2009/04/denver-broncos-head.jpg

jamesblakefan#1
08-11-2010, 03:09 PM
^^^You mean the guy who cheated on his wife and b#tched so he didn't have to play in Baltimore?

And Kyle Orton =/ John Elway on any level. Denver's going to be mediocre for the next few seasons. They got rid of all their best players (Marshall, Cutler, Scheffler) for nothing.

Fifth Set
08-11-2010, 03:18 PM
^^^You mean the guy who cheated on his wife and b#tched so he didn't have to play in Baltimore?

And Kyle Orton =/ John Elway on any level. Denver's going to be mediocre for the next few seasons. They got rid of all their best players (Marshall, Cutler, Scheffler) for nothing.

Oh no, we aren't going to start a Raiders-Broncos battle here, are we?! Then again, that might be fitting to introduce our Scottish friend to NFL rivalries. ;)

Speaking of the Raiders-Broncos battles, I live in the SF Bay Area and attend most of the Denver teams' games in this area. Let's just say that the Raiders games are the one venue where I do not wear my Denver gear! Most other Broncos fans seem to follow this practice as well, forcing the drunk, violent Raiders fans to start punching each other. The Denver fans leave thoroughly entertained, not just from another Broncos win in Oakland, but from knowing that at least a dozen Raiders fans will spend the night in the slammer.

No matter, you're my friend here and you happen to be correct on the team's prognosis. Broncos will be mediocre for a couple years at least because of management mistakes.

Doubles
08-11-2010, 03:31 PM
Well, if you really want to root for an underdog team, then go with my favorite: The Detroit Lions...

West Coast Ace
08-11-2010, 03:34 PM
....ice hockey fan, the fast paced continuous end-to-end action is brilliant. ESPN are doing a great job of covering it over here, if you've got the channel for the football you should give the hockey another chance.Interesting. ESPN gave up on hockey here in the States. Now it's on a station a lot of people don't get. Let's go Flyers!

Feņa14
08-11-2010, 03:46 PM
Interesting. ESPN gave up on hockey here in the States. Now it's on a station a lot of people don't get. Let's go Flyers!

Well it's not actually done by ESPN, it's the CBC, TSN productions that you see over in North America, but they get broadcast on ESPN UK and ESPN America (both in HD). We get the usual Hockey Night in Canada with Don Cherry and all that :)

So tell me, being a Flyers fan, are you worried about Pronger's contract being investigated? ;)

jamesblakefan#1
08-11-2010, 03:47 PM
Oh no, we aren't going to start a Raiders-Broncos battle here, are we?! Then again, that might be fitting to introduce our Scottish friend to NFL rivalries. ;)

Speaking of the Raiders-Broncos battles, I live in the SF Bay Area and attend most of the Denver teams' games in this area. Let's just say that the Raiders games are the one venue where I do not wear my Denver gear! Most other Broncos fans seem to follow this practice as well, forcing the drunk, violent Raiders fans to start punching each other. The Denver fans leave thoroughly entertained, not just from another Broncos win in Oakland, but from knowing that at least a dozen Raiders fans will spend the night in the slammer.

No matter, you're my friend here and you happen to be correct on the team's prognosis. Broncos will be mediocre for a couple years at least because of management mistakes.

All is fair. I really got nothing against Denver, per se, really dislike SD more than DEN - for now.

Who can blame Oak fans if we tend to get a bit violent; that sort of thing can be prompted when you have a walrus (JaWalrus to be specific) playing QB for you. (Though said walrus did somehow manage to lead a GW drive vs Den last year.) Now that he's gone our prognosis is better, though we'll both probably be competing for 2nd behind SD this season.

SuperFly
08-11-2010, 04:17 PM
I would suggest you choose the Bears but they aren't primed to be contenders this year. Basically choose anyone outside of the NFC North unless you pick the Bears.

r2473
08-11-2010, 04:25 PM
You will fast become a fan of truck and light beer commercials.

David_Is_Right
08-12-2010, 01:00 AM
You're best off supporting the Giants or Jets because they will be televised 8000 times a season for the New Yorkers

Falloutjr
08-12-2010, 04:57 AM
True fans don't choose a team to root for. True fans are fans of a sport in general until a team shows you something you can relate to, something that "clicks". You see something in yourself in that team, and it's unnatural for you to NOT root for them. I suggest you continue to be a fan of the NFL until this happens. The right team will find you, always does.

goran_ace
08-12-2010, 05:51 AM

The NY Jets and Philadelphia Eagles wear green and white.

batz
08-12-2010, 08:38 AM
Guys - thanks for all your responses - they're much appreciated.

athiker
08-12-2010, 09:00 AM
No question the Dallas Cowboys. There is no team that you will be able to find more news on living overseas than the Cowboys IMHO. They have a terrific history (both franchise and individual players), always lots of drama surrounding the team, an owner that keeps them in the news and while its been a while now since their last Super Bowl, and all teams have occasional down years, its usually a decent bet they will be in the hunt and they have a quarterback that is place for a number of years into the future that make the games fun to watch.

As mentioned they are a love 'em or hate 'em team so they are always good for lively discussions that make following sports fun. There games also seem to get on national TV a disproportionate amount of the time vs. other team...may or may not make a difference overseas.

Finally there is this:

http://images1.fanpop.com/images/image_uploads/a-Dallas-Cowboys-cheerleader-nfl-cheerleaders-815318_323_480.jpg

http://i.cdn.turner.com/sivault/multimedia/photo_gallery/0810/nfl.cheerleaders.cowboys/images/cowboys-cheerleader(2).jpg

http://www.dentonrc.com/sharedcontent/dws/pt/photos/2009/09/090920_NS_20JRcheer.jpg

jamesblakefan#1
08-12-2010, 09:06 AM
^^^

http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/dd87/sugarfiend06/boo-man.gif

athiker
08-12-2010, 09:36 AM
^^^^^^^^^^

As mentioned they are a love 'em or hate 'em team so they are always good for lively discussions that make following sports fun.

See what I mean! :D

Hard to believe considering recent results that Oakland has actually been to a Super Bowl more recently than the Cowboys...I'll give you that. Overall appearances and wins in the big game though...Dallas has it. 8 appearances and a 5-3 record vs. 4 appearances and a 2-2 record. 8)

batz
08-12-2010, 01:36 PM
Man, those cowboys cheerleaders are babelicious.:shock:

Falloutjr
08-12-2010, 01:55 PM
You don't have to be a fan of the Cowboys to appreciate their cheerleaders :twisted:

Fifth Set
08-12-2010, 01:56 PM
Man, those cowboys cheerleaders are babelicious.

Good sir, please do not fall for the dirty tricks employed by the evil proponents of the Dallas-based franchise. While their wares are indeed famous, today other teams have cheerleaders who are even better.

I submit for your consideration just a sampling of the Denver Broncos cheerleaders that await you in heaven, should you choose to follow the righteous path. :)

http://mog.com/images/users/0000/0001/3152/images/1197044336.pjpeg

http://i.cdn.turner.com/si/2008/images/12/16/broncos-calendar.jpg

http://assets.mog.com/pictures/0000/0001/3152/images/1222616597.jpg

LuckyR
08-12-2010, 07:01 PM

Since you brought it up, what is your favorite soccer (real football) team? Take their colors and figure out which NFL team has the same colors. True it is a bit of an arbitrary method for choosing but choosing based on reputations like the Raiders are dirty, the 49ers are prima donnas, the Cowboys are complicated, the Bears are tough... all evaporated after free agency. The teams are more similar nowadays than different.