PDA

View Full Version : what's a palette

lovethegame
05-26-2005, 09:13 PM
What is a grip pallette? just something i've been wondering of late...

jake.

AndrewD
05-26-2005, 10:06 PM
Every handle on every racquet has a distinct shape. That shape is created in a few different ways. One is via a moulding permanently attatched to the racquet's handle (Prince). The other is for a removeable pallet to be used.

Volkl and Head are the two I know of which use that type of system. It allows you to increase the grip size without resorting to heat sleeves or to reduce it if you like. All you need to do is take off one pallet and fit another. Very simple. Although supposedly not compatible I have swapped a Head pallet onto a Volkl racquet with no problems whatsoever and find it a good option for those who don't like the more extreme Volkl shape.

Gaines Hillix
05-27-2005, 07:07 AM
Every handle on every racquet has a distinct shape. That shape is created in a few different ways. One is via a moulding permanently attatched to the racquet's handle (Prince). The other is for a removeable pallet to be used.

Volkl and Head are the two I know of which use that type of system. It allows you to increase the grip size without resorting to heat sleeves or to reduce it if you like. All you need to do is take off one pallet and fit another. Very simple. Although supposedly not compatible I have swapped a Head pallet onto a Volkl racquet with no problems whatsoever and find it a good option for those who don't like the more extreme Volkl shape.

Andrew, aren't there actually 4 pieces(pallets) to the handle on the Volkl and Head frames?

NoBadMojo
05-27-2005, 09:01 AM
i cant speak to the Head pallets, but the Volkl's come in 2 halves plus the right sized buttcap. interesting Andrew that the head pallets fit on a Volkl..you didnt have to midify anything? that would mean the raw handle size and shape are identical. Where does one acquire head Pallets..i've never seen them for sale anywhere, and do they come with the buttcaps like the Volkl?

radical tourist
05-27-2005, 01:03 PM
Head pallets come in 2 halves plus the buttcap.

AndrewD
05-27-2005, 09:10 PM
Ed,

surprisingly not. It honestly looked to be a quite good fit, not forced etc. Not as neat at the very top of the handle but almost identical. From the looks of the two pallets it appears that the Volkl is just a bit more raised on the North and South (if you stand the racquet on its side) bevels. That elongation seems to come from the pallet itself.

After the accident we salvaged what we could - grip, butt cap and pallet. I asked the guy in our pro shop if he wanted the pallet and surprisingly he didn't know the Volkl's were removable (no-one had told him lol). He asked if a Head pallet would fit and out of curiousity we tried it. He had a number of them in the shop (probably only for their use) and we tried a 3/8 on my Volkl (what was left of it). The fit was good and assume other sizes would work just as well. I dont know about selling the Head pallets but if you can swap them around they must be available, if only through Head themselves.

We used a Head butt cap when we swapped them over. Not sure if the Volkl one will work just as well but assume it wouldn't be too bad so long as you had the right size or just a touch under.

Out of curiousity we tried the Volkl and Head pallets on Prince, Wilson, Yonex and Babolat frames with 4 1/4 grips but they just wont work. Closest was the Yonex and Babolat but it would require too much forcing to have them fit. I doubt even an 1/8th would get a match. Think you'd have to totally redesign the handle in the same way Bosworth (i think it was) did for Wilander when he used a Prince racquet after his Rossignols.

Oh, there does also appear to be a weight difference between the two pallets. The Head one is a bit lighter than the Volkl so, if you were attempting a strict match, you'd need to take that into account.