PDA

View Full Version : Open string pattern in the 90s

Outlined
08-12-2010, 05:10 AM
With an open string pattern you generally break more strings than with a dense pattern. Nowadays that is not a problem as there are very durable strings on the market.

I wonder how the situation was in the 90s. Where the strings durable enough for an open string pattern in those day? Did there exists any sticks with an open string pattern at all in those days?

Power Player
08-12-2010, 09:45 AM
I still broke way more strings with an open pattern then I do with my 18x20s. It's not even close. I was breaking full poly after 6-8 hours depending on who I hit with.

Outlined
08-12-2010, 03:28 PM
In the 90s or this decade ?

JT Corona
08-13-2010, 11:29 AM
I used the POG mid exclusively during my early years with PSG 16g string. Strings only lasted a week at most and I experienced a great deal of tension loss as well before breakage. I still enjoy hitting with the POG especially when freshly strung, but these days I'm using the BLX90 with 2 more main strings than the POG and hence get more durability and tension maint.

Back in the day when poly wasnt widely used, I believe many used kevlar or a kevlar hybrid.

Power Player
08-13-2010, 12:04 PM
In the 90s or this decade ?

This decade. Poly was not around in the 90s I dont think.

goran_ace
08-13-2010, 02:46 PM
Rackets like the Prince Precision 730 (Graph II LB MP) and the Pro Staff 6.1 Classic could chew up synthetic gut in no time. Back in the 90's you'd see guys routinely go through 3 rackets in a match. I used to bring 4 freshly strung rackets to each match, I had a friend who would bring 5-6. Back then it was more of a power game (whereas now its more about spin) and most players were playing synthetic gut and multis.

Poly strings have actually been around a long time. They just weren't very popular until the most recent decade. Aramid strings like Prince Pro Blend and Forten Kevlar have been around a long time too and were the string of choice for tournament players who got sick of breaking strings (and had steel elbows).

goran_ace
08-13-2010, 02:51 PM
forget to add... I used that Prince Prec 730 back in the day. It had a very open pattern with only 14 mains in a 97 sq in head. It was popular with a lot of foreign players I knew in college and some clay courters on the tour (e.g. one time French winner Albert Costa). Breaking strings was just something you accepted and you got to become very good friends with your stringer.

Outlined
08-13-2010, 04:43 PM
Kevlar!! Does it still exist nowadays or has i been completely replaced by poly? Was Kevlar durable? What other characteristics did it had?

chaddles
08-13-2010, 05:07 PM
It definitely still has it's market - there are a couple of kids in particular that just eat poly's like nothing else, one is trying out Alu Power at the moment and is getting about twice the life compared to his previous poly. The next step was to go to Ashaway Kevlar if it isn't lasting long enough for him.

NLBwell
08-13-2010, 09:27 PM
In the 80's I used to have to restring my Black Ace constantly - it actually has a more open pattern in the center than the POG mid even though it has more strings and a smaller head size. Finally got sick of it and went to kevlar (Prince Pro Blend and then others).