PDA

View Full Version : OK, I want to start stringing, but...

dadozen
08-12-2010, 07:05 AM
I'm from Brazil, and people here only sell crank machines or electronic machines.

I'm not a heavy string breaker, and I'll start doing stringjobs only for myself and my girlfriend( whose strings last 2 months at least ).

So I don't need a fancy and super fast machine, I was mainly looking for a nice dropweight machine with 6 mounting points.

I know a great guy in the UK that sells Signum Pro machines, but the cheapest drop weight option is about 400, and I'm not sure if I can get a nice machine from the US for much less.

Can someone recommend me a drop weight machine that would suit me from a store that ships to Brazil?

Thanks in advance!

esgee48
08-12-2010, 07:21 AM
My advice is to search the sellers on the Internet, and contact them via email. It may help if you have a 'Paypal' or other form of electronic payment account.

dadozen
08-12-2010, 07:25 AM
My advice is to search the sellers on the Internet, and contact them via email. It may help if you have a 'Paypal' or other form of electronic payment account.

Thanks, I do have paypal, I'm just wondering if people can advice me trustworthy sellers who have decent machines at good prices.

esgee48
08-12-2010, 07:44 AM
Search the threads. Klipper, Silent Partner, TW, ATS Sports, Gamma, Alpha Pioneer, etc., anyone who's been in business for a while without Better Business Bureau complaints will do. These vendors will provide a good machine with a warranty

Considerations include type of clamps and string gripper mechanism. But that is your preference. Take your time the first few times you string until you are comfortable. Speed is not important, consistency is.

kevin345
08-12-2010, 09:11 AM
http://cgi.*********/Klippermate-Racquet-Racket-Stringing-Machine-Stringer-/200498641520?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0#ht_500wt_1154
You could get a klippermate for around $280

kevin345
08-12-2010, 09:12 AM
aww e-bay blocked. well just search e-bay for klippermate

dadozen
08-12-2010, 09:35 AM
Thanks guys. Has anyone heard of Pro's Pro stringing machines? They are sold mainly in the UK, and they have great prices.

Ash_Smith
08-12-2010, 09:42 AM
^^^ Pro's Pro are Eagnas (Lily Lee) in Europe - fine as a first machine but remember you often get what you pay for!

Ash

dadozen
08-12-2010, 10:54 AM
Thanks a lot Ash, actually I sent you an email regarding the Pro's Pro.

Also, how about the Signum Pro machines sold in the Stringer's World? Are they good?

Ash_Smith
08-12-2010, 11:00 PM
^^^ The only experience I have with the Signum machines was with the X-9500 - aI drove down to SW to try it out and sadly it was a wasted journey! Admittedly the machine I tried was not a brand new machine but a machine they had used for demos, it was nearly new - slight defect in the plastic case but otherwise in good condition.

Anyway, my impressions of the machine after stringing a racquet were not good, the tension head refused to pull tension if you used the diablo and even without the diablo it was hit or miss - suggesting the load-cell isn't the highest quality. The clamps were clunky and not at all refined, they didn't hold tension particularly well either unless you really tightened them up. This machine is built in Taiwan (I think by Lily Lee) and sold by many brands including Ashaway. Overall a bad experience :(

That said, I believe their S series machines are built in Germany so they may be better thatn the X series.

In the end I bought a Tyger Ultra 800 (which is the same machine as the Silent Partner Opus) which I am delighted with thus far. The choice of machines in the UK isn't great and the Tyger sits in a perfect price point and is an excellent machine for the money. There are Tyger drop weights and cranks and the Profi-690 comes well recommended.

Ash

dadozen
08-13-2010, 04:28 AM
Ash, thanks for sharing your experience with the Signum Pro S Series machine!

I'm also looking at a X6FC from Gamma!