PDA

View Full Version : Poly strings... on a wood racquet?

SliceForehand
08-12-2010, 08:36 AM
I was at a tennis camp the other day, and I found an old wooden racquet that had five poly strings in the mains. I asked my coach why this was, and he said the mains had broken, but they didn't want to restring the whole frame in fear of it breaking, so the person who strung it just replaced the ones that had broken.

I tried out this racquet, and I was amazed by how well the poly strings worked with the wood frame. I got amazing amounts of spin and control. Beyond the amount that I would have gotten from poly strings normally.

I feel that this is likely the result of the high flexibility of the wood frame combining with the polyester strings to allow massive ball pocketing and spin potential. Does anyone agree? Does anyone have any experience with anything like this?

Irvin
08-12-2010, 09:32 AM
Or is it possible it could just be the frame. Chances are it was a heavy racket with a high swing weight. This gives you more plow through and increases your ability to spin the ball. Of course I have to admit the tight, stiff main strings and more than likely the limp dead cross strings helped the spin too.

Irvin

Irvin
08-12-2010, 09:34 AM
If you want to try and duplicate that feel in your racket put poly mains at normal tension and string the crosses about 20 lbs lower.

Irvin

joe sch
08-12-2010, 11:42 AM
I was at a tennis camp the other day, and I found an old wooden racquet that had five poly strings in the mains. I asked my coach why this was, and he said the mains had broken, but they didn't want to restring the whole frame in fear of it breaking, so the person who strung it just replaced the ones that had broken.

I tried out this racquet, and I was amazed by how well the poly strings worked with the wood frame. I got amazing amounts of spin and control. Beyond the amount that I would have gotten from poly strings normally.

I feel that this is likely the result of the high flexibility of the wood frame combining with the polyester strings to allow massive ball pocketing and spin potential. Does anyone agree? Does anyone have any experience with anything like this?

Should have just restrung the complete racket unless there were some nice nat gut strings in the crosses but still more risky to the frame to leave the crosses tensioned and then restring.

poly strings will play great on all rackets especially when at lower tensions. Having the crosses at a low tension helped this poly hybrid setup perform better than what your use to. More flexible rackets also help provide even more control with poly strings. I hit a max 200g today with lux timo strings at approx 40 lbs and it played outstanding. I had total control and unbelievable touch.

Its really worth it experimenting with heavier rackets, more flexible rackets, and lower tensions string setups. Most players just never attempt such experimentation and get stuck in a rut playing tight string setups.