PDA

View Full Version : Head Tour Pro Stringing

kevin345
08-12-2010, 05:19 PM
I am trying my first string job on a cheap $15 head racket, but i cant find the pattern. All I no is that its 16x19. Is there any universal pattern that will work?

Irvin
08-12-2010, 05:43 PM
No there is no universal pattern that will work. There is one and only one correct way to string the racket.

You know it is 16x19 so now you have to determine where to start the mains either in the head or the throat. Count the grommet holes in the throat and divide by 2 if the result is odd you start in the throat, even you start in the head.

BTW if there are strings in the racket just look that is the best way if not then you have to do some more looking.

Look at the grommets the way they are bent around the top and bottom corners of the racket. The grommet usually point in the direction they were strung last. You know there will be 8 main strings on each side. Look for the first 8 grommet holes that point downward. If there are any pointing sideways they are for crosses and your mains will skip them. Do the same at the bottom. Hopefully you don't have any shared holes.

Look inside the throat and there is usually a tension range for the racket. If you don't find it string it around 55-65 depending on your preference.

Goot luck if you have a picture of the head of the racket I could tell you more.

Irvin

kevin345
08-12-2010, 05:52 PM
Yea thx. Heres a picture: http://www.walmart.com/ip/HEAD-Tour-Pro/11186237
I just need to no, does it really matter where i tie off?

Irvin
08-12-2010, 06:35 PM
Wow it is a new racket. I am assuming you just want to practice stringing on this racket. Since it is a metal racket I would string it lower in tension especially if you have a two point mounting system.

Check the racket and count the knots on the racket. Some of the cheaper rackets like this do not have tie off holes to do a two piece string job. If there are only 2 knots you have 1 piece stringing and I would do the same.

Looks like the mains skip hole 8 at head and throat. and the mains start at the throat.

Irvin

jim e
08-12-2010, 06:37 PM
I am trying my first string job on a cheap $15 head racket, but i cant find the pattern. All I no is that its 16x19. Is there any universal pattern that will work?

No universal pattern, but here is the pattern for that racquet:
It is listed to be strung as 1 pc. only (very unusual for a Head racquet as Head is very specific to string all their preformance racquets as 2 pc )

lenght: 40'
S.S:10'
Tension:52-58 lbs.
Pattern:16x19
Start M's:T
Main Skip:8T & 8H
Tie off M's:6T
Start 1 pc. X: 8T
Last X:8H
Tie off X:5H
Note: H = head T = throat
Hope this helps. Jim

Irvin
08-12-2010, 06:54 PM
Thanks 'jim e' and BTW this is not a performance racket and I think he just wants to practice stringing on it. Problem is that he will be stringing the racket from the bottom up. I have run into a couple of the Wal-Mart type rackets and the first problem you run into is the lack of tie offs. He could not string this two piece even if he wanted to unless he knows how to open up a grommet hole for the tie off.

Like I said before I would not go to high in tension on this racket since it isn't a performance racket.

Good luck

Irvin

Irvin
08-12-2010, 07:00 PM
I have one more bit of advice for someone out there looking for rackets to practice on. Hit the garage sales on Friday and Saturday. I have a friend that has bought about 25 rackets that way and only pays 3 or 4 dollars for them. I went past a garage sale a few weeks ago and found a band new plastic on the grip Head racket for $2. Strung it up and sold it the same day to a customer that played with that same racket and was looking for a second but she said they don't make them any more. When I looked at her racket I said, "Have I got a deal for you." It still had the Dick's sticker on the handle for $179.

Irvin

Radicalized
08-13-2010, 07:04 PM
Just in the event you haven't done your racquet yet, and you're confused by the stringing instructions. A quickly done diagram.

http://img22.imageshack.us/img22/1281/headprodiagram.jpg

coachrick
08-13-2010, 07:09 PM
Just in the event you haven't done your racquet yet, and you're confused by the stringing instructions. A quickly done diagram.

http://img22.imageshack.us/img22/1281/headprodiagram.jpg

What if he's not using different colored string? :)

Radicalized
08-13-2010, 07:09 PM
I have one more bit of advice for someone out there looking for rackets to practice on. Hit the garage sales on Friday and Saturday. I have a friend that has bought about 25 rackets that way and only pays 3 or 4 dollars for them. I went past a garage sale a few weeks ago and found a band new plastic on the grip Head racket for $2. Strung it up and sold it the same day to a customer that played with that same racket and was looking for a second but she said they don't make them any more. When I looked at her racket I said, "Have I got a deal for you." It still had the Dick's sticker on the handle for $179.

Irvin

:)Antiques Roadshow--Tennis Racquet Edition

Radicalized
08-13-2010, 07:15 PM
What if he's not using different colored string? :)

He'll have to convert the image to grayscale:shock: