PDA

View Full Version : How come I rarely ever break strings?!?

Liem
08-12-2010, 08:46 PM
title says it all. I am an average 3.5 player and I swing hard at every ball but I rarely ever break any strings. Do people that break strings very often hit with a lot of topspin is that why? thanks

ODYSSEY Mk.4
08-12-2010, 10:04 PM
title says it all. I am an average 3.5 player and I swing hard at every ball but I rarely ever break any strings. Do people that break strings very often hit with a lot of topspin is that why? thanks

count your blessing breaking a string is only cool once....
but factors can be
Amount of spin
Shank-O-Matic
ect.

ReopeningWed
08-12-2010, 10:05 PM
Hit the sweet spot and you'll see what happens.

cmf
08-12-2010, 10:15 PM
Aside from the factors pointed out already, incoming ball speed is another important one. I played against mostly women on my one racquets last string job and had to cut the strings out after ~15 hours because they never broke. I was hitting hard but they weren't.

Tennis_Freak
08-12-2010, 10:22 PM
Yeah. I noticed that the last 3 breaks were from service returns and yes I hit the sweetspot hard with lots of topspin so I usually takes me 3 good hours hitting to break it.

Rorsach
08-13-2010, 02:29 AM

In order to come across as a tennis god on this message board, you'll need to break strings as often as possible, no matter the reason they break.
If you don't do this, just lie about how often they break.

FloridaAG
08-13-2010, 03:07 AM
Type of strings?
Type of frame?
Amount of spin?
Shanks?

All relevant.

DavidGarcia
08-13-2010, 06:40 AM
In order to come across as a tennis god on this message board, you'll need to break strings as often as possible, no matter the reason they break.
If you don't do this, just lie about how often they break.

Love your response!!!

So truth....

kevoT
08-13-2010, 08:49 AM
My stings don't break that often and I tend to hit the sweet A LOT and with tons of spin, which also leaves me to wonder why my strings don't break.

WilsonPlayer101
08-13-2010, 09:08 AM
My stings don't break that often and I tend to hit the sweet A LOT and with tons of spin, which also leaves me to wonder why my strings don't break.

I'm with you. You describe your hitting and playing style and it's like mine and I never break strings. I have broken strings but I say "never" because I have not broken a set of strings in about 20 years and before that not often either. I hit hard too with lots of spin yet no broken strings. I don't cut them out early normally unless I don't like the strings. I normally play with them until they go bad so I don't know why I'm so fortunate. Blessed I guess.

bad_call
08-13-2010, 10:41 AM
since switching racquets and changing service motion/etc don't break strings nearly as often. before would break primarily when serving.

Parker512
08-13-2010, 01:45 PM
Never broken a string just got my new raquet in April the new version of the Babolat drive z light strung with Dunlop Synthetic. Im 3.5 player does it make sence for me to buy a stringer i have no one else to string but me.

chaddles
08-13-2010, 03:23 PM
Only ever broke a string once and that was a shank serve. I love shanking the ball and luckily I don't break strings, I usually restring them well before they get worn out.

Power Player
08-13-2010, 03:28 PM
What is string pattern in your racquet? Ever since switching to 18x20, I break way less strings.

thejuice
08-13-2010, 04:05 PM
I have always preferred flexy frames and mostly 18x20 patterns and I hardly ever break strings. When I used to work for a retailer stringing sticks, I noticed that most of them were stiff "tweeners" and occassionally stiff player frames (ROK 90 for example).

cj6666
08-13-2010, 04:53 PM
A friend of mine claims he hits hard and with top spin but using my racquet the string does not move and does not caught ball fuzz (we are talking about synthetic gut). Where as I don't hit as hard but I have to keep adjusting the strings and I caught a lot of ball fuzz. The truth is he is hitting it flat, plain and simple. The result also speak for itself, my ball is more loopy and bounces higher. His string lasts a long time where as mine after a few days of play will started to frail.

I think the OP post a very good point and let's not kid ourself. If your "top spin lob" has no top spin, then it's not dangerous enough.

Just talk to my friend's daughter, she is twelve years old and rank within ten of national twelve years old, she break synthetic gut every two days. When you are hitting it right, the string should break. It's technique and not brute force.

Falloutjr
08-13-2010, 05:18 PM
I'm with the OP, no matter what racquet I use, I always get about 50-60 hours with a string before I break it at the least. I hit about average power for a person my age and a LOT of spin. Maybe I hit with so much spin that the mains don't eat through the crosses very fast, they merely saw at the crosses and the entirety of the bed takes the duration. Just my theory.

kevin345
08-13-2010, 05:27 PM
The string gauge. Do u use 16? Most ppl with thin string gauge break their strings. And it could also b cuz of climate. Temperature and humidity affect the strings.

thejuice
08-13-2010, 07:06 PM
The string gauge. Do u use 16? Most ppl with thin string gauge break their strings. And it could also b cuz of climate. Temperature and humidity affect the strings.

Good point but even considering guage, I think the hitting style coupled with the type of frame and pattern makes the most difference. I use only 17 and 18 guage string and I just don't break strings. For the record, I hit a very flat forehand, backhand and serve (albeit a serious kick second serve).

Falloutjr
08-13-2010, 07:12 PM

Actually, I've recently switched back to full bed of Pro Hurricane 18g. I used to use them and would often go over a month with the same set.

saigonbond
08-13-2010, 07:15 PM
Frequent string breaking means intense friction (wear and heat) which leads to breakage. Friction is the force of resistance to movement of two solid surfaces. It basically means that the mains and crosses "saw" against and eventually into one another. (Strings can be measured in terms of the coefficient of friction COF.)

Players who hit with a lot of power and spin will cause more "sawing." Other factors of physics such as the angle of ball impact, force of impact, speed of impact, etc. combined with string characteristics such as resiliency, elasticity, density, etc. will affect the friction or "sawing" that eventually leads to breakage. Obviously other physical factors such as string set-up, string pattern, racquet characteristics, etc. also contribute.

Simply because you're not a frequent string breaker doesn't necessarily mean you're a lesser player. Many of the 5.0+ I play against and teach with aren't frequent string breakers.

CHEERS!

Falloutjr
08-14-2010, 10:10 AM
I jinxed myself! Broke a string a couple hours ago v.v grr