PDA

View Full Version : Am I paying too much for stringing vs. doing it myself?

skydog0203
08-13-2010, 05:49 AM
Was wondering if the stringers/pros on the site could help me figure something out. I currently pay $36 per set for stringing. Last month I paid $150 for strings (although I have been experimenting with set ups to find one I like and that won't break quickly, so that was unusually high). This is completely unacceptable by a wide margin, and so is playing less, so I have to figure out a way to get my string cost down (without going to something that kills my arm and gives me no feel).

I have finally found a string set up I like, which means I don't have to experiment any more and can buy in bulk. I can get a 660ft. reel of the string I want for $125 including shipping, and could get a Eagnas 126E electronic stringer for $400, which would make my cost about $26/racquet for just the first reel. I would like to avoid the inconvenience of stringing myself, and would also prefer not to take business away from my pro shop, both of which are worth something to me. It just seems like $10 per set is a lot to pay for those two things.

Assuming my pro can get my string (Head RIP Control) for about $6.20 per set, how much is normal for labor? At $36 per set, he's making an 83% margin, which seems really high. What am I missing?

drakulie
08-13-2010, 05:59 AM
In the long run, if you are a player who is frequently taking your frame to the shop to string, it will always be finanically beneficial to string your own frame. remember, you are not only playing for the stringing service, but the price of gas to go twice to the shop (once to drop off, and once to pick up).

Ultimatley though, it comes down to how much weight you put on your personal time to string your own frame.

mikeler
08-13-2010, 06:12 AM
Many people here enjoy stringing there own frames. Others find it takes up too much of their time. Had I known how much I would enjoy stringing after 2.5 years, I would have bought an electric machine. I was worried I might not like it, so I ended up buying a mid-range manual crank machine. The freedom to string whenever you need to is another nice aspect of stringing instead of potentially waiting a day or more.

FloridaAG
08-13-2010, 06:15 AM
I don't have time to string my own frames or to learn how to do it. Another option is to find someone else cheaper to do the stringing for you.

WitheringDemise
08-13-2010, 07:28 AM
Since he's a pro(I'm assuming he is, since its 36 a job)..He can charge more.
The stringers on my team at the highschool charge 10 dollars a job including strings. Strings are polys or synthetics... 5 dollars a job if you provide the string...The price is pretty much 5 dollars a job+the cost of string for them.
And if you were to get a stringing machine, I wouldn't recommend Eagnas' electronic tension head. Try a Alpha Pioneer DC plus. Dropweights are always more accurate and require less maintenance

JackB1
08-13-2010, 07:43 AM
It all depends on how often you string and how much you will enjoy it. You won't save loads of money stringing yourself if you just string once a month or every other month. My PGA Superstore only charges $12 labor ea. stringing. Stringing is something you just have to try yourself and see how it goes. It's hard to predict if you will enjoy it and if the time and energy will outweigh the convenience of just dropping it off at the pro shop.

Power Player
08-13-2010, 09:56 AM
I tend to procrastinate on the stringing sometimes. But it is way better then paying,dropping off the racquets..scheduling when i can get them..etc. I also notice the savings already.

goran_ace
08-13-2010, 10:10 AM
OP, buy a reel of your string former here at TW and then ask your pro what they charge for just labor - probably about $15-20.

dak95_00
08-13-2010, 03:50 PM
You should try to figure out if you'd like stringing. I was always curious and thought that maybe it was difficult. It isn't. You don't need anything great to do it either. As someone has said, a drop weight machine is simplest, cheapest, and most accurate.

I bought an old Ektelon Model D w/ the H upgrade (some will know this machine) which is a crank machine that was once a very high end stringer back in the 70s. I got it for something like $200. I string my racquets and enjoy it. I'm slow but I do it while watching tv. My kids like weaving the crosses and I let them. I'm not that particular and it gives us some family time. My point is you can enjoy it and purchase a stringing machine that is a good quality for a low price. Don't break the bank if it is something you just want to try. Someone on TT would probably see you one for a low price/

I also string my friends racquets. I usually just charge string + $5. Lately, I am starting to string other people's racquets too. I charge them string + $10.

$20 is the max that I think anyone should charge to string a racquet. You've got to know that a pro shop at a club is going to upcharge their strings and charge $20 for the labor. See if you can bring your own string as suggested. That is the only way you'll save money by taking it to the current place. Otherwise, pay the $36 and be happy, find another place, or do it yourself.

mikeler
08-13-2010, 04:22 PM
I tend to procrastinate on the stringing sometimes. But it is way better then paying,dropping off the racquets..scheduling when i can get them..etc. I also notice the savings already.

Glad you took my advice :)

Lakers4Life
08-13-2010, 04:45 PM
Most tennis centers don't have someone full-time to string rackets. Usually it's one of the high school players or one of the teaching pros when they have time.

I sometimes hang out at some of the tennis centers to watch the round robins and after being introduced to the teaching pros as a stringer. I have been asked to string a couple of rackets @$10 a piece, when I'm there. The tennis center turns around and charges the player $30-40 who are used to paying that price. Kinda like paying for food at at the theater or ballpark.

At the Chain Sport Stores, the price of the string includes stringing, except G-smith, whether or not you want to wait for the free stringing is up to you. $20 for Prince Syn Gut is a bit high if you ask me.

jim e
08-13-2010, 07:31 PM
This comment from Drakulie sums it up nice:
Ultimatley though, it comes down to how much weight you put on your personal time to string your own frame.

Take your time and investment of machine and string, and weigh the expense and time that you put into it and see if it is worth it to you.Only you know the value of your time, and also if you would really enjoy stringing, as then it makes the job go so much better if you did.

saigonbond
08-13-2010, 08:17 PM
1. Negotiate a better price with your pro shop.
2. Buy your own string and just pay labor.
3. Buy your own string, buy your own stringer, and string it yourself in 30 minutes.
4. Save more money by stringing your friends' sticks.

If you can get the same quality string job at a less expensive cost to you, does it make any sense to pay more? Did you pay more for your car just because you liked the salesman and dealearship?

Cheers!

Lakers4Life
08-13-2010, 09:32 PM
Find a cheaper stringer. Most people are fed up paying through the nose for stringing, that's why why my clients come looking for me. I have more reasonable prices than any chain or tennis shop.

Anyone from New Orleans want to help a fellow TT member?

Racer41c
08-13-2010, 10:55 PM
One of the benefits of stringing your own is you can do it whenever you want. Last week I did 2 restrings in 2 days as I was setting up a new string combo. What took me 2 days would have taken 2 months if I were paying for the service.

But if your set with a string and tension, it would be less expensive to just pay for labor. In the mean time paying "retail" for string is part of the excessive amount your paying for.