PDA

View Full Version : X1 Biphase full bed - step by step review

Gasolina
08-13-2010, 06:28 AM
Ok, so I got my Tfight 325 vo2 strung up with a full bed of X1 17g at 62 lbs. The last setup I had was a Gut / Flouro at 17g which was ok but I always struggled w/ shoulder pain when I play/hit the next day.

Day 1 - Hit for 1 1/2 hour
At first the X1 felt really stiff and had a hard time trying to "dial in" my forehands (a lot more so my backhands). I didn't really feel a lot of the power that the string was known for. It actually felt a lot less powered than by hybrid setup.

After a few good minutes of hitting, I was finally getting to my groove and my shots were feeling better as well. I could feel the balls bouncing from the strings and could really "feel" a lot of the shots.

One thing I really liked about the string was it's slice potential. Though my slices came a little floatier than in my hybrid. The string was so powerful that I could just flick the racquet and out comes the slice. No need to bring the racquet above my head and do a full slice swing. Just flick it and there it goes. Even if I was out of position, I could do a slice and the ball would go over the net.

I tried hitting with some topspin but for some reason my balls just flew away. After the session my hitting partner told me that the spin was still there (I was notorious for hitting heavy topspins even when sometimes I didn't want to) but the only problem is the ball just flies out that you don't really see the ball drop before the line. At the end of the day I feel a slight soreness from my forearm and a little on my shoulder.

Day 2 - Game for 1 1/2 hour
Woke up that day and was excited because there was no shoulder pain. Was excited to try the X1 on game situations.

Damn this string is powerful, the first set I was overhitting shots and didn't have a lot of control. I could usually control my passing shots but now it seems they always go long to the side, same on my backhands. Whenever I hit inside the baseline I was scared of the ball going long and would up being tentative on my shots. This is compared to my hybrid where I could go for a gigantic swing and get so much topspin. The slice was still there and quite frankly was the only useful thing that I could use.

The thing I didn't like most was at the net. I was never confident around it as whenever a short ball came usually I would hit a quick topspin forehand to the other side. When I tried it it just flew away long. Every time I was in the net I could only push the ball away.

I was able to get some success out of the string by positioning myself exclusively outside of the baseline. Did get some good shots out there but still had some trouble finding the angles for a change of direction shot.

At the end of the day, a little shoulder tightness. Nothing else.

I'll play/hit again on Saturday morning. Will update this

mikeler
08-13-2010, 06:42 AM
If you are not use to multis, it does take an adjustment period to adapt to the higher power level.

Gasolina
08-13-2010, 06:47 AM
If you are not use to multis, it does take an adjustment period to adapt to the higher power level.
That's true, but what I really miss most is the spin. Also, I use a really big swing to get my spin, but with a full x1 it means the ball flying out.

Perhaps I need to get back to a hybrid setup. Maybe put black magic or some other soft poly in the crosses.

mikeler
08-13-2010, 06:54 AM
That's true, but what I really miss most is the spin. Also, I use a really big swing to get my spin, but with a full x1 it means the ball flying out.

Perhaps I need to get back to a hybrid setup. Maybe put black magic or some other soft poly in the crosses.

The spin is better in a poly hybrid. That is what I will use when I'm 100% sure my elbow won't flare up. Multis are good for arm issues.

DrpShot!
08-18-2010, 08:03 AM
Funny, all of this is spot on with my own experience. I love co-polys for the spin and control, especially Big Hitter Sliver, but I get pain right on my elbow and upper forearm after playing with it, even in a hybrid, and even with a very soft co-poly (M2 Pro). When I go back to full bed of X-1 Biphase or Tourna Quasi Gut, I have to dial back my swing on flat drives and force the topspin more from the baseline.

Gasolina
08-18-2010, 08:26 AM
Since the thread's been brought back up - updates

Day 3 and 4 Hitting
Day 3 was a drag, I was only able to hit for 30 minutes then it started raining, by the time I got to another dry court it was so hot and my body's cooled down so it was an awful hitting experience.

Day 4 was a scorcher (I will never hit again at 9:00am). Forehand has been pretty good. As usual, the slice has been awesome. Been learning to hit my shots a little flatter than usual. Still don't get the same control I get from having a hybrid.

Day 5 Game for 1 1/2 hour
I think this is the first time I've ever really "tested" the strings in an actual match. Serve's great. Forehands great. Backhand's great. The slice though, it kinda felt less powerful than it was during the 1st couple of days.

The main thing I notice is I get more UE's trying to go for my DTL forehand (I'm right handed) to my opponents left side of the court. This is a pretty reliable shot that I do and maybe just because of the extra power and less spin I can't get the ball to go down earlier to just hit the line or get inside the court. Direction-wise, it's going where it should be, it's just not dropping where it should be.

I noticed that it helps that I step outside the baseline after serving as it gives me a bigger allowance for the ball not to sail long on rallies.

The best thing about this multi is there is no pain at all from the elbow/shoulder area. Just some slight soreness on the arm which is good because I know that my muscles are working as they should be and not getting pain in critical areas.

mikeler
08-18-2010, 08:37 AM
Since the thread's been brought back up - updates

Day 3 and 4 Hitting
Day 3 was a drag, I was only able to hit for 30 minutes then it started raining, by the time I got to another dry court it was so hot and my body's cooled down so it was an awful hitting experience.

Day 4 was a scorcher (I will never hit again at 9:00am). Forehand has been pretty good. As usual, the slice has been awesome. Been learning to hit my shots a little flatter than usual. Still don't get the same control I get from having a hybrid.

Day 5 Game for 1 1/2 hour
I think this is the first time I've ever really "tested" the strings in an actual match. Serve's great. Forehands great. Backhand's great. The slice though, it kinda felt less powerful than it was during the 1st couple of days.

The main thing I notice is I get more UE's trying to go for my DTL forehand (I'm right handed) to my opponents left side of the court. This is a pretty reliable shot that I do and maybe just because of the extra power and less spin I can't get the ball to go down earlier to just hit the line or get inside the court. Direction-wise, it's going where it should be, it's just not dropping where it should be.

I noticed that it helps that I step outside the baseline after serving as it gives me a bigger allowance for the ball not to sail long on rallies.

The best thing about this multi is there is no pain at all from the elbow/shoulder area. Just some slight soreness on the arm which is good because I know that my muscles are working as they should be and not getting pain in critical areas.

Interesting observation regarding your forehand. My DTL forehand has always been my goto shot. With a multi, I'm finding that I'm starting to have a preference for the cross court forehand just because I'm more confident of keeping the ball in.

athiker
08-18-2010, 09:42 AM
Ok, so I got my Tfight 325 vo2 strung up with a full bed of X1 17g at 62 lbs. The last setup I had was a Gut / Flouro at 17g which was ok but I always struggled w/ shoulder pain when I play/hit the next day.

Day 1 - Hit for 1 1/2 hour
At first the X1 felt really stiff and had a hard time trying to "dial in" my forehands (a lot more so my backhands). I didn't really feel a lot of the power that the string was known for. It actually felt a lot less powered than by hybrid setup.

After a few good minutes of hitting, I was finally getting to my groove and my shots were feeling better as well. I could feel the balls bouncing from the strings and could really "feel" a lot of the shots.

One thing I really liked about the string was it's slice potential. Though my slices came a little floatier than in my hybrid. The string was so powerful that I could just flick the racquet and out comes the slice. No need to bring the racquet above my head and do a full slice swing. Just flick it and there it goes. Even if I was out of position, I could do a slice and the ball would go over the net.

I tried hitting with some topspin but for some reason my balls just flew away. After the session my hitting partner told me that the spin was still there (I was notorious for hitting heavy topspins even when sometimes I didn't want to) but the only problem is the ball just flies out that you don't really see the ball drop before the line. At the end of the day I feel a slight soreness from my forearm and a little on my shoulder.

Day 2 - Game for 1 1/2 hour
Woke up that day and was excited because there was no shoulder pain. Was excited to try the X1 on game situations.

Damn this string is powerful, the first set I was overhitting shots and didn't have a lot of control. I could usually control my passing shots but now it seems they always go long to the side, same on my backhands. Whenever I hit inside the baseline I was scared of the ball going long and would up being tentative on my shots. This is compared to my hybrid where I could go for a gigantic swing and get so much topspin. The slice was still there and quite frankly was the only useful thing that I could use.

The thing I didn't like most was at the net. I was never confident around it as whenever a short ball came usually I would hit a quick topspin forehand to the other side. When I tried it it just flew away long. Every time I was in the net I could only push the ball away.

I was able to get some success out of the string by positioning myself exclusively outside of the baseline. Did get some good shots out there but still had some trouble finding the angles for a change of direction shot.

At the end of the day, a little shoulder tightness. Nothing else.

I'll play/hit again on Saturday morning. Will update this

This is pretty much dead on for my experience as well. Especially the stiff initial feeling and somehow less power impression yet difficulty keeping the ball from flying long. I know it doesn't seem to make sense, but it seemed like the going long was the inability to hit enough spin to bring it down vs raw power. This of course resulted in more tentative hitting as you described and even less topspin.

It took a long time, much longer than a few hours, made even longer in terms of days due to my switching back to other racquets (with different strings) in frustration at times, before it softened up and got more controllable at the same time. Better pocketing maybe? Or just me finally adjusting to a different string? Anyway...the good news is with time things will get better. I'll never string with it again though...not worth the break-in period for me even though I think the string plays fine now with nice feel and I can now produce good spin with it.

fuzz nation
08-18-2010, 12:17 PM
I know a strong teaching pro who loved using that string in his mains with a less resilient synthetic gut in his crosses just to keep things from getting too lively. When I played with him a couple years ago, he was using the n6.1 95.

My experience with that string has been the same in terms of needing a break-in period of maybe two sessions, but I haven't used it in many different frames. I found great success with it in a Donnay Pro One (TW Edition), which is a low powered frame that seemed to really benefit from a more resilient string. Not sure how stiff your 325's are, but unless they're especially soft, you might get a little too much zing with any full multifiber in that racquet. I could never get multi's to work with my stiffer racquets like my 6.1 Classics, even when I strung them at rather high tension.

I'm no fan of poly, but you might want to try a syn. gut in your crosses to see if you can get a little more under control. I've never had any sort of arm issues myself and while I avoid the harsh stuff (poly and kevlar), I've enjoyed full sets of thinner syn. gut (17 gauge) in most of my frames for a few years. It seems to be snappy enough yet soft enough for me and even though it's probably less durable than a thicker option, I string my own racquets, so it's no biggie when I pop them.

Gasolina
08-18-2010, 12:56 PM
I'm no fan of poly, but you might want to try a syn. gut in your crosses to see if you can get a little more under control. I've never had any sort of arm issues myself and while I avoid the harsh stuff (poly and kevlar), I've enjoyed full sets of thinner syn. gut (17 gauge) in most of my frames for a few years. It seems to be snappy enough yet soft enough for me and even though it's probably less durable than a thicker option, I string my own racquets, so it's no biggie when I pop them.
Thanks for the advice. I'm going to go for a full soft poly bed once these strings die out just see the other end of the spectrum. Right now the X1 looks like their getting cracks where the strings meet (the kind when you try bending pvc pipes) so I'm not sure if they'll last long. Then again, this may be a sign of better things to come from the string.

I don't hate the string, I also don't think it god's gift to humankind. The TW ratings do get a little misleading here. The string got good ratings on spin and control, I'm pretty sure they did, but how can you qualify good spin & control when you can't goddamn lower your power to make the spin & control matter?

At the end of the day, I'm pretty happy I tried a full bed of the X1. It's like a good "early string" to test on your quest for your holy grail. Really puts you into the right direction on what you want to do next.

1stVolley
08-18-2010, 03:00 PM
I play classical guitar and guitarists know that there is no one best string. Further, for a given guitarist, a string from mfr "A" that sounds superb on guitar #1 can sound awful on guitar #2. I wouldn't be surprised if the same thing holds with tennis racquet strings.

I've been playing with a full bed of X-1 (55 lbs) on a Powerbook 10 Mid for several months. Previously, I used Gamma Professional (both strings @ 16 gauge). I found the X-1 a bit crisper and a bit more powerful than the Professional. I found virtually no break in time. I hit a flat, Eastern grip, forehand and an 1HBH with moderate topspin. I actually found the extra power of X-1 useful as I make a lot of points hitting a hard, flat FH drive near the baseline. Yes, I occasionally hit long, but I get twice as many winners or sitter returns with this shot.

My point is that there are so many variables involved with strings: player technique, racquet, tension used, typical opponent's style, that it's hard to make more than a couple of very simple generalizations--like crispness and power.

Gasolina
08-18-2010, 07:34 PM
Day 6 Hitting (hard) for 1 1/2 hour

More of the same thing, with one difference: the X1 is starting to lose tension. I did have it strung at 62 lbs so I'd imagine some tension loss, but literally the crosses would be moving every time I hit a shot. Not "gut" like in movement but its pretty close. What I did was made sure I flip the racquet head after every dead ball so the string bed would "reset" when I hit from the other side.

It's weird because its only the crosses that move a lot, which means I'm hitting my topspin like I used to, so the loss of spin isn't on my technique, but on the string itself.

Now I'm convinced that a full multi bed is not for me.

SteveI
08-19-2010, 04:47 AM
I play classical guitar and guitarists know that there is no one best string. Further, for a given guitarist, a string from mfr "A" that sounds superb on guitar #1 can sound awful on guitar #2. I wouldn't be surprised if the same thing holds with tennis racquet strings.

I've been playing with a full bed of X-1 (55 lbs) on a Powerbook 10 Mid for several months. Previously, I used Gamma Professional (both strings @ 16 gauge). I found the X-1 a bit crisper and a bit more powerful than the Professional. I found virtually no break in time. I hit a flat, Eastern grip, forehand and an 1HBH with moderate topspin. I actually found the extra power of X-1 useful as I make a lot of points hitting a hard, flat FH drive near the baseline. Yes, I occasionally hit long, but I get twice as many winners or sitter returns with this shot.

My point is that there are so many variables involved with strings: player technique, racquet, tension used, typical opponent's style, that it's hard to make more than a couple of very simple generalizations--like crispness and power.

Great post. Matching strings and tension to a frame.. and playing style and swing speed etc.. can be a full time job.

My impression of the x-1 is very much the same as this players experience. If I could handle the cost of X-1.. I would never play another string.

Steve

FloridaAG
08-19-2010, 04:51 AM
I love X-1 when freshly strung