PDA

View Full Version : String in the 40s? Click here please

Power Player
08-13-2010, 07:29 AM
I received a racquet with Solinco Tour bite in a hybrid. I had no idea what tension it was, but it felt low...I was guessing 50-54#s.

Anyway, I had a real nice experience hitting. I am a western grip player and get more control when I can hit low to high. I noticed that I was hitting extremely heavy balls that stayed low and were going exactly where I wanted. I did not notice a loss in accuracy, and was actually more consistent. I also was using a lot less effort to stay in points. I could keep a point alive by placing the ball away from my opponent without using a lot of power, but the ball had enough juice so it could not be crushed back...this allowed me to reset the point and not lose it outright.

It felt like a little too much power though, and I started thinking I wanted the tension higher....but I could live with the current setup. I was more consistent and made less mistakes.

My normal preference is high tension at 60-62. It is great for hitting a flatter ball. What it is not great for is counterpunching. The more my game evolved the more I stayed with my low to high western grip and got away from the horizontal flat ball that I would finish points with. I started to realize that I am a heavy topspin player at heart. That is just my game and I simply am not going to convert to a flat hitter. I naturally handle hard shots hit at me on the rise and with heavy topspin. With the 40# setup, this was very easy to do, but maybe a little too powerful.

My question is this..I will continue to play with the 40# setup until the string breaks. If I continue to find that it is a little too powerful, where should I go next? Should I try the federer tension of 47-48? Is this low tension suited to my type of game? 2 handed backhand..heavy topspin forehand..fast player who baselines 70-80% of the time?

Just wanted to see what kind of game the folks have here who use this low tension.

FloridaAG
08-13-2010, 07:36 AM
My game sounds fairly similar - I string my m-fil 200 16/19 with Big Ace at 53

JackB1
08-13-2010, 07:39 AM
just a thought......if you could convert from a western grip to a little more towards SW, it would take even more strain off your wrists and make it easier to hit flat winners when they present themselves.

about your question....I would just up the tension a little next time...maybe around 50-55. Stay with the game you you naturally play, but maybe just tweak it a little. Just play with the tension until you get it at a nice level where a medium effort stroke can get you a nice deep groundstroke.

Power Player
08-13-2010, 07:48 AM
I want to stay under 50 for a bit. I need to sort this out. I definitley do not want to change my stroke. It is very effective and is not really the cause of my wrist pain..luckily for me.

I was throwing so much spin and pace on the ball that it looked like an oval. I also expended less energy. It was real nice...just a little powerful. I have not used low tension in a low powered players racquet before..always with tweeners..with the player's racquet, it is a beastly combination.

Uvijek Argen
08-13-2010, 08:47 AM
PP- You should come to the Blanchard open today:) I string my racquets all over the 40's and you could try different string set up I have. (at the moment I have 2 Big hitter blue rough 48/46# & pro hurricane/quasi gut at 46/49.

Power Player
08-13-2010, 09:26 AM
I'd love to do the blanchard thing but I don't get out of work until 5:30 and combined with traffic, me not having my gear in the office...it just probably won't work out.

How do you like the lower tension setup?

Uvijek Argen
08-13-2010, 09:36 AM
I got use to fast, at this point after the tennis elbow I had from Jan-March,doesnt make much sense anymore to play with strings or string tension that feel like 2x4.

What I see and notice its that not all strings work at that 40's, I test all summer and finish with Unique big hitter blue rough. So will be nice for you to test some strings that get your attention and try them.

For example that one that I told you I have Pro hurricane/quasi gut, I wont repeat it again. It was stiff for the first week and then went to the other extreme to be trampoline wise.

Take care...hope to see you soon in the area:)

Power Player
08-13-2010, 09:53 AM
I just ordered some Big Hitter Rough, so this is good! I'll cross it with Wilson Stamina and OG Sheep Micro on another stick and see how they do.

I'll probably try 46#s poly mains and 48#s SGut crosses when I do this.

Definitley would like to hit around some time too!

bad_call
08-13-2010, 10:07 AM
40's is good and the $150 string job has pushed my ranking up 2 pts or so. :p

Stormcrow
08-14-2010, 02:58 PM
I received a racquet with Solinco Tour bite in a hybrid. I had no idea what tension it was, but it felt low...I was guessing 50-54#s.

Anyway, I had a real nice experience hitting. I am a western grip player and get more control when I can hit low to high. I noticed that I was hitting extremely heavy balls that stayed low and were going exactly where I wanted. I did not notice a loss in accuracy, and was actually more consistent. I also was using a lot less effort to stay in points. I could keep a point alive by placing the ball away from my opponent without using a lot of power, but the ball had enough juice so it could not be crushed back...this allowed me to reset the point and not lose it outright.

It felt like a little too much power though, and I started thinking I wanted the tension higher....but I could live with the current setup. I was more consistent and made less mistakes.

My normal preference is high tension at 60-62. It is great for hitting a flatter ball. What it is not great for is counterpunching. The more my game evolved the more I stayed with my low to high western grip and got away from the horizontal flat ball that I would finish points with. I started to realize that I am a heavy topspin player at heart. That is just my game and I simply am not going to convert to a flat hitter. I naturally handle hard shots hit at me on the rise and with heavy topspin. With the 40# setup, this was very easy to do, but maybe a little too powerful.

My question is this..I will continue to play with the 40# setup until the string breaks. If I continue to find that it is a little too powerful, where should I go next? Should I try the federer tension of 47-48? Is this low tension suited to my type of game? 2 handed backhand..heavy topspin forehand..fast player who baselines 70-80% of the time?

Just wanted to see what kind of game the folks have here who use this low tension.

If you feel like Tour Bite is too powerful, you should try Revolution. The Revolution does not have the trampoline effect of the Tour Bite. It has ample spin but not as much as the Tour Bite. I string my Kpro Tour at 49/47 and it plays great.

Mig1NC
08-14-2010, 04:27 PM
So, have any of you guys used an ERT or even a String Meter to see what your tension is when you play, as opposed to what you had it strung at?

I am wondering since most polys loos 13-10 pounds after a short while and a few hits, what you end up with if you start at, say, 47.

corners
08-14-2010, 05:00 PM

It sounds like 47 might be good for you.

Keep in mind that Fed plays gut/poly, which will be a little softer than poly/syngut and that he only plays for several hours, avoiding the big poly tension drop most of us play through. So on balance, his 47 might be your 50.

On the other hand, he hits much harder than us, bending his strings much more. So his 47 might be our 40.

I think ~40 should be fine as long as the strings aren't moving. And I still think you should try Tour Bite full bed at 30-35.

pyrokid
08-14-2010, 06:26 PM
I string in high forties, it feels great. added spin, no loss of power, and a bit more power.

Power Player
08-15-2010, 03:26 PM
Well the experiment begins. I strung up Dunlop Explosive at 44 and Wilson Stamina at 48. I am real interested to see how it goes.

And actually, I should mention that I am actually more of a SW grip player. I actually thought about it today with the racquet in my hand and it's not western...oh well..haha.