PDA

View Full Version : High tension vs. low tension for different opponents

BoneyFish
08-13-2010, 04:04 PM
Hey guys. What's your opinion on using a high tension setup to a low tension setup when playing against different opponents? I understand high tension is more for control, and lower tensions are for power, so when competing against a pusher or a 4.5-5+, which should you use?

I'm experimenting with different tension setups on my racquets, and want to know if I should settle on one setup for both, or have different tensions if it turns out to be beneficial. A reasonable justification to your opinion would be appreciated.

Jonny S&V
08-14-2010, 07:25 PM
Hey guys. What's your opinion on using a high tension setup to a low tension setup when playing against different opponents? I understand high tension is more for control, and lower tensions are for power, so when competing against a pusher or a 4.5-5+, which should you use?

I'm experimenting with different tension setups on my racquets, and want to know if I should settle on one setup for both, or have different tensions if it turns out to be beneficial. A reasonable justification to your opinion would be appreciated.

Well, if you feel that it'll help you, what do you have to lose? It's definitely easier (IMO) to control a hard-hitter's ball with a higher tensioned racquet, and easier to place the ball with looser strings against lesser-powered players. That being said, I would rather the string be a smidge too loose than a smidge too tight.

nickarnold2000
08-15-2010, 08:31 AM

How many frames with diff. tension are we talking about here? If you only have 2 then I'd be careful because in a tight match if you break strings in the looser frame - suddenly playing with the tighter one will probably send your game out of whack.
Personally, if I had unlimited $ I'd do what the pros do and bring 10 frames with high, medium and low tension and then cut the strings out after each match. :)