PDA

View Full Version : Opinions about string job.

Bagel Boy
08-13-2010, 05:51 PM
Hello!

I am new to tennis, and have been using the same racket for 2 summers.

This summer I broke my strings and asked a guy that gives lessons (and plays for a U) at the court I play at, if he could re string it for me.

I just got it back from him an hour ago and have not hit with it, but I'm a little confused as to why the strings look out of place.

Hopefully you can see somewhat from the pictures ( I can post better ones), but I thought they would all be straight, instead it looks like all the cross strings are "dipping" like a smiley face. Also, the seem to move easily while the main seem tighter.

Any chance he hit with it after and that's the reason? And if so, would have they moved as much?

Thanks in advance for thoughts.

http://tinypic.com/r/2igeyxx/4

http://tinypic.com/r/2rdxen6/4

Kevo
08-13-2010, 06:12 PM
The smiley thing happens as a consequence of the way a racquet is strung. More professional stringers straighten the strings before they give the racquet back to the customer. This doesn't necessarily indicate that anything is wrong with the string job. It doesn't inspire full confidence in the stringer either.

LeftiesAreAllRight
08-13-2010, 06:15 PM
Looks to me that the stringer was lazy and didn't bother straightening out the crosses after he was done with the racquet.

But that is less of an issue than what looks to me like a mis-weave in the top two crosses. The picture quality is pretty poor or they are out of focus, but it appears that in a couple of places, the top two strings both cross over or under the same main. If it is not a mis-weave, then I just need to get my eyes checked.

Show him the mis-weave (if there really is one) and maybe he will redo the string job. If he will redo the job, you can ask him to straighten the crosses next time when he is done. I would do this before you play with the racquet, and definitely before the strings lock into place.

And if he won't restring the racquet for you, I definitely wouldn't use him again.

LeftiesAreAllRight
08-15-2010, 08:47 AM
In the pictures, to see the cross stringing of the top two strings that I am referring to...

Click on the link to the second picture to open the image up in the new window
In the new window, click on the picture itself to view a larger image
Click on 'View Raw Image' in the bottom left corner of the picture
When the new window pops up, click near the top two strings to magnify the image.

I believe that I can see at least 6 or 8 points where the strings both cross over or under the same main string.

mad dog1
08-15-2010, 09:00 AM
leftiesareallright, you're absolutely correct. the top 2 crosses are crossing over/under the same mains.

bagelboy, your stringer should restring your racquet for free.

Macro80
08-15-2010, 09:05 AM
Good spot on the misweave!

The strings being out of place is not a problem, just lazy finishing to a string job.

Id get that misweave restrung though.

TennisNinja
08-15-2010, 09:45 AM
Wow that is pretty sloppy.

Kevo
08-15-2010, 10:12 AM
Yeah, the misweave is a good catch. I still have trouble seeing it.

In any case, I believe that misweave are officially disallowed by the rules. A good stringer should redo it for free. Misweaves rarely affect actual play though, so it doesn't necessarily cause any trouble otherwise unless it's in a critical spot.

LeftiesAreAllRight
08-15-2010, 11:57 PM
Kevo, did you follow the steps I posted in #4? You probably won't have too much of a problem seeing the misweave on the top two strings after you magnify the image.

Yeah, the misweave is a good catch. I still have trouble seeing it.

In any case, I believe that misweave are officially disallowed by the rules. A good stringer should redo it for free. Misweaves rarely affect actual play though, so it doesn't necessarily cause any trouble otherwise unless it's in a critical spot.

aceX
08-16-2010, 12:16 AM
String job? I'll stick to Head.

federalprassi
08-16-2010, 05:59 AM
Definately have your stringer redo it, chance are he is beginner or gotten lazy because he think you don't know or care the string.

10ACE
08-16-2010, 06:26 AM
Kevo, did you follow the steps I posted in #4? You probably won't have too much of a problem seeing the misweave on the top two strings after you magnify the image.

Nice catch- good eye- definite misweave

drakulie
08-16-2010, 06:53 AM
Not really sure about the misweave on the top crosses as pointed out, but I would venture to guess he double pulled those crosses.

Anyway, lazy string job. If you are not happy with the string job, and there are infact misweaves, have him re-string it. How much were you charged??

denj3325
08-16-2010, 07:40 AM
The way I learned how to do it was you hold the crosses where they should be, otherwise they frown like that. I think that if you dont hold the crosses straight and let them "frown" your tension will be exactly what you want it to when they are straightened.

And also, good catch on the misweave!

namartens
08-16-2010, 07:43 AM
I think the picture in the second link is misleading. In fact, because of the flare on the strings (or flash) I almost can't see anything. Check the first picture in it's original size which is a lot clearer for the top two crosses and it is much easier to see the top cross and the one below cross a lot of mains on the same side.

Bagel Boy
08-18-2010, 03:59 PM
Kevo and Lefties (and everyone)

thanks for the quick replies.

Glad to know the "smiley" effect is not a major issue. After about 5 minutes of hitting, the strings seemed straight... or at least the smiley thing was gone.
And Kevo must have the Hawk Eye, because I have the racquet and I didn't notice the misweave until he pointed it out.

I guess my concern now is the affect of the misweave on the performance of the racquet, but I would assume it would be minimal unless I hit the ball with that part. In my case, somewhat likely.

The guy used Enduro Pro and charged me 30 bucks. I'm thinking I should ask him to restring it.

Here's better pics for those interested:

http://tinypic.com/r/2aako6q/4

http://tinypic.com/r/2llkjdx/4

http://tinypic.com/r/2f0err7/4

Any other thoughts or suggestions.. please fire away. Thanks a bunch, you guys rock.

Parker512
08-18-2010, 04:05 PM
sloppy how much you pay him?

jim e
08-18-2010, 05:46 PM
better photos.
Clearly misweaved.
Playing with it this way is illegal.
Bring it back and just have it restrung, as it is the proper thing to do.
He charged you approx. $24.00 labor so the job should be done properly.

MAX PLY
08-18-2010, 06:18 PM
Terrible string job. I would not have him restring it--I would ask for a full refund and take it somewhere else and have it done properly. Honestly, when I see a crap job like that, I also worry that the frame was not mounted properly, etc. If it is a relationship that you care about, maybe give him one more shot but don't take it back after that--you should run away screaming from that stringer. Lesson learned--only have your racquet serviced by someone whose reputation and experience is top notch, especially if you are newer to the game.

High Roller
08-18-2010, 06:39 PM
The guy used Enduro Pro and charged me 30 bucks. I'm thinking I should ask him to restring it.

You were raped without the benefit of a kiss. POS stringing job based on your description. Figure he charged around $25.00 for incompetent labor with less than pedestrian string on top of that. He owes you a lot more than a re-do. If it were me, his entrails would be all over the parking lot.

LeftiesAreAllRight
08-18-2010, 07:28 PM
Kevo and Lefties (and everyone)
And Kevo must have the Hawk Eye, because I have the racquet and I didn't notice the misweave until he pointed it out.

I believe that I actually identified the misweave in Post #3, but I am glad that you confirmed that it truly was a misweave and that my eyes weren't playing tricks on me.

Looking at the three new pictures that you posted, yes, you can see that the smiley face in the cross strings pretty much staightened out EXCEPT for the second cross from the top. The second cross string is still curved and I attribute that condition to the misweave between the first and second strings!

Bagel Boy
08-20-2010, 03:58 AM
Sorry Leftie, it was you with the Hawk Eye. Thanks again.

I actually seen the guy yesterday, and he was cool about it: said he would restring it if I wanted him to. I told him not to worry, just string it next time for free or at a discount. (Assuming I decide to go with him, we'll see.)

He seemed sort of surprised over the misweave, even though I don't get how he would not notice. Oh well.

Thanks a bunch for all the help, fellas.

Happy hitting!!