PDA

View Full Version : Leather grip?

axbige
05-27-2005, 09:15 AM
I currently have a Head LM Radical MP with a 4 1/2 grip size. I use the Gamma Supreme overgrip. The grips on my rackets are the stock Head grip that comes on the Radicals.

I'm looking to make the grip size a little bit smaller. Can this be done by adding a leather grip? I'm thinking that a leather grip is thinner than the stock cushion grip. Is this the case, or am I completely wrong here? Is there any other alternatives? I still want to use my overgrip but would like the actual grip underneath to be a bit thinner.

Thanks.

Tennis Ball Hitter
05-27-2005, 09:23 AM
I recently changed from a the wilson TL Gel to a babolat leather replacement grip. My feeling is that the leather grip feels larger ... this is possibly because there is no "give" with the leather compared to the TL Gel.

But that is just a feeling, I would be interested in other peoples comments as well.

I believe some people use one or two overgrips instead of a replacement grip.

the_arod
05-27-2005, 09:44 AM
a leather grip IS smaller, but is very firm, so it depends on how firm the stock grip is if it will feel smaller.

NoBadMojo
05-27-2005, 09:51 AM
the leather grip will probably actually make your grip feel larger rather than smaller like TBH sez...leather is alot firmer than cushioned grips and your hand doesnt embedd into the grip with leather like it does with cushioned so it usually feels larger to most people not smaller. the first thing i would try is removing the stock grip and reapply it, this time stretching it more tightly as you wrap..that should make it feel slightly smaller

axbige
05-27-2005, 10:19 AM
the leather grip will probably actually make your grip feel larger rather than smaller like TBH sez...leather is alot firmer than cushioned grips and your hand doesnt embedd into the grip with leather like it does with cushioned so it usually feels larger to most people not smaller. the first thing i would try is removing the stock grip and reapply it, this time stretching it more tightly as you wrap..that should make it feel slightly smaller

Good point, can't believe I didn't think of that. I will try this before I play this weekend and post my results. Seems logical so hopefully this will accomplish my goal.

bee
05-27-2005, 07:21 PM
Take the padded grip off, put some lead strips on the naked handle and wrap it with an XL TournaGrip. That's what I do with most of my racquets. It'll give you more sharply defined bevels and excellent feel...and decrease your grip size about one size. The LM Prestige is a very soft hitting racquet, so I don't think you'll miss the padding. I also use 1/2" adhesive tape to build up the butt some before I wrap the Tournagrip. And I use black tape coming down the upper handle before the TournaGrip is wrapped. My LM Prestige MP feels much more solid with lead strips on the handle, and I put just a little at 3 and 9 o'clock on the head. With these modifications, it's a solid and very spin-friendly stick! Wish they made and XLL extra-long TournaGrip.

bee
05-27-2005, 07:22 PM
Oh, that's the LM Radical MP you have. I suspect the same things apply. Good luck with it!

yip kok kuin
05-27-2005, 07:34 PM
Or you can take off the stock grip and just put 1 or 2 thin overgrip in place of stock grip. Two thin grip for 1 stock grip should reduce the grip by 1 size eg L2 to L1. Like the gentleman before had said, Radical is a soft racket so it should be ok. Leather is far more firm than modern grip and definitely feel 1/2 size up. The last thing you should try is to shave or file down the grip.

Speedy_tennis
05-27-2005, 10:03 PM
the leather grip is thiner than a synthetic but is not cushion and feels larger,and adds some weigth

axbige
05-31-2005, 12:35 PM
Thanks for all the advice. I'm gonna try some things and hopefully it works.

splink779
05-31-2005, 12:43 PM
Wow, I really thought the leather grip was thicker. I put one on one of my LM rads but I eventually took it off because of the bigger girth.

IceT
05-31-2005, 04:39 PM
axbige...

Come back when you're done and post your results.

I'm interested to see which method works best for you.

IceT
05-31-2005, 04:41 PM
yip kok kuin...

With the double layers of overgrip method, does the handle feel a lot more firm?

Did it ever cause any discomfort?

Thanks.

splink779
05-31-2005, 05:09 PM
I really like leather under an overgrip but it just makes the grip too big for me to really grip the way I like. If I ever get another racquet (I should say when, lol), I will go down to 1/4 size. You can always build up a grip, but it is hard to size one down.

Michelangelo
05-31-2005, 06:15 PM
Theoretically you can definitely make the grip smaller, but almost no tennis store will do it for you (unless either you really really really really know the guy, or you pay rediculous amount of money for this job). Otherwise getting another racket with right grip size and customize it to match the original one is always the way to go.

axbige
06-01-2005, 07:20 AM
Well, last night, I decided to redo the grip on one of my Radicals. I took the original grip off and then put it back on pulling REALLY tight. I then compared this to my other Radical, which has the same grip. The one I put back on tighter, does have a smaller feel to it. I'm playing tomorrow so I'll see how it plays, once I put the overgrips back on both rackets. I'm not sure if this small amount is enough. If not, then I'll try the other methods, mentioned above.

Will write back soon,
Erik

Ash Doyle
06-01-2005, 01:25 PM
What leather grip are you using? I replace the grips on all my racquets with leather grips (usually wilson) and they all feel noticeably smaller with the leather grip.

splink779
06-01-2005, 01:27 PM
I tried a Babolat leather grip, made the handle feel bigger and I still think it was in fact bigger.

IceT
06-01-2005, 11:14 PM
Also, if you use overgrip, get a very thin one (I think wilson pro is the thinnest) and wrap it REAL tight. It makes a lot of difference.

tschevap
06-02-2005, 02:45 AM
I use Pacific ATP Leather grips and they make the grip about half a size bigger...usually i play L4, now with the leathers i stepped down to L3! Feels much better...

IceT
06-02-2005, 07:32 AM
I use Pacific ATP Leather grips and they make the grip about half a size bigger...usually i play L4, now with the leathers i stepped down to L3! Feels much better...

Huh? Which way is it?

yip kok kuin
11-24-2005, 06:41 AM
yip kok kuin...

With the double layers of overgrip method, does the handle feel a lot more firm?

Did it ever cause any discomfort?

Thanks.
Sure feel stiffer and firmer. More discomfort but more feedback. No pain no gain I suppose.

Thaychua
11-24-2005, 08:03 AM
I usually have leather on my rackets with Wilson pro or Yonex supergrab overgrip and it's the best feeling one can get..gives it a nice firm feel to the racket and also makes the rackets slightly headlight..
Now, i do agree removing replacement grips and just overwraping two overgrip gives it a firmer feel, but after an hour or two, be prepare to get some discomforts(blisters and such)..
Imagine all the twist and turns due to the shocks and vibrations from the racket transfering down to the handle and having nothing to stand between your hand and the handle except two thin layers overgip. Of couse it's going to cause discomfort. So i dont think the no pain no gain concept can apply to tennis...it's ok to push yourself to the limit and all the stands between is exhaustion... But to come out to the court with a big blister and ready to play tennis, i dont think you going to gain anything that day...maybe a couple days at home..
So i think it's better to have a replacement or leather grip. It gives more of a protective barrier and cushion to you grip.. Best way is to experiment and find out which is best for you..
I personally play with 3/8 grip with leather and overgrip...but it does seem a little big for my liking, so now i play with 1/4 leather and overgrip and sometimes two overgrips over leather...

legolas
11-24-2005, 10:06 AM
the leather grips from klipper r nice too, and the price is good

tonyjh63
11-28-2005, 02:52 PM
Huh? Which way is it?
I think he's trying to say that while he used to use a 4 1/2 grip, now that he's using a leather grip, he's been able to step down to a 4 3/8 grip, and still have the overall feel. At least that's the way I read it....

Return_Ace
11-29-2005, 09:23 AM
i find leather grips make the grip feel slightly bigger, i was playing with my prestige (has a nice leather on it) and i picked up a frends FP Rad with the normal grip and it seemed tiny!!!, maybe it was because i could squash that grip in...

joe1987
11-29-2005, 10:04 PM
Check out my thread on how to remove some power from my Lm rad.
One of the posters said that adding a leather grip to his Lm rad made it feel wierd. I think it is ronaldo who posted it.