PDA

View Full Version : how to tell if the grippers are damaging strings

denj3325
08-14-2010, 08:59 AM
So i strung racquet with Wilson NXT and when I clamped the strings, the clamps would change the color of the string to white rather than natural. Also when I put it is the gripper to pull, the gripper would turn the string white.

Was I damaging the string? And for future reference, how do I tell if I am damaging the string?

wrxtotoro
08-14-2010, 09:27 AM
That's normal for most multifilament string. It's called ghosting.

denj3325
08-14-2010, 11:57 AM
Whew, ok, I was worried that I was going to give my friend a ruined string.

Now is there any specific signs that your clamps are damaging the strings? Basically, what would a string that was damaged by a clamp or gripper look like?

Ash_Smith
08-14-2010, 01:36 PM
You'll see or feel the indentations where the clamp or gripper mark the string. Grab a scrap piece of string and over tighten your clamps and clamp the scrap piece and you'll see the effect it causes on the string if the clamps etc are too tight.

Ash

denj3325
08-14-2010, 09:09 PM
You'll see or feel the indentations where the clamp or gripper mark the string. Grab a scrap piece of string and over tighten your clamps and clamp the scrap piece and you'll see the effect it causes on the string if the clamps etc are too tight.

Ash

I feel like the only time my clamps are able to hold onto the string when it is tensioned is when it is tight enough to make slight indentations (at least on poly). Is it ok to have slight indentations?

Technatic
08-14-2010, 10:30 PM
Did you string "greasy" strings lately?
Perhaps you have to clean the clamping surface of your clamps, so that you need less force to hold the string:

Fold a piece of cloth over a little metal plate or piece of carton, wet it with white spirite, and wrap the jaws of the clamp with it.

I do not think that good clamps should damage polys because these are very hard.

denj3325
08-14-2010, 11:11 PM
I just cleaned them with rubbing alcohol, but I think that I figured out why I am having to clamp with such force:

The two lines of "teeth" are not exactly parallel to each other (at least on one clamp), thus, when I go to clamp, only 2-3 out of the 5 teeth I have are really putting any pressure on the string, so it takes much more force to hold the string.

This is just frustrating because I just got the stringer, but I have heard great things about the service from Alpha so we will see what I can do about this problem!

rich s
08-15-2010, 06:35 AM
So i strung racquet with Wilson NXT and when I clamped the strings, the clamps would change the color of the string to white rather than natural. Also when I put it is the gripper to pull, the gripper would turn the string white.

Was I damaging the string? And for future reference, how do I tell if I am damaging the string?

as others have said... this is called ghosting.... It occurs with multi's and NG.

What you want to avoid it permanently deforming the string .... ie when you release the clamp you can see the indentations where the clamp was holding the string.... you will see this if you clamps are too tight....

and.... you want to avoid abrading the surface of the string..... you will see this if your clamps are too lose and the string slips...

denj3325
08-15-2010, 10:44 AM
I am continuing this topic in this thread: http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=343304 that is more specific to my problem, so if the Mods want to close this thread they can.

Thanks for the help everyone!