PDA

View Full Version : Prince Premier LT

tennisfreak565
08-14-2010, 11:13 AM
I've heard really good things about these strings. Has any body tried them yet?

Valjean
08-14-2010, 12:54 PM
I've heard really good things about these strings. Has any body tried them yet?
Do the board search first; Premier LT has been discussed and referenced in several previous, recent discussions.

tlm
08-14-2010, 06:34 PM
Very good string.

High Roller
08-14-2010, 09:46 PM
I haven't stocked this, but I had a couple of samples sent from Prince. A top-notch multi that performed exceptionally well on my wife's Trisys 260's. Quality string.

Valjean
08-15-2010, 02:29 AM
To my mind this was a string meant primarily for baseliners; it lacked real touch, and offers little placement help. It doesn't stand up particularly well to punishment though, showing a high rate of tension loss under USRSA lab testing. In my view it isn't worthy of the name Premier, which for performance reasons ought to belong exclusively now to their Premier with Softflex. Here is a USRSA playtest result too:

http://www.racquetsportsindustry.com/articles/2009/03/10_prince_premier_lt.html

And its lab test results: http://www.racquetsportsindustry.com/articles/2010/01/string_selector_2010.html

High Roller
08-15-2010, 07:09 AM
Jeez, the reviewers gave this string glowing reviews when it comes to playability, not to mention the fact that it scored extremely well across the board. I have no dog in this fight but, at least on the racquets I strung with Premier LT, it performed exactly as a top-shelf multi should.

tlm
08-15-2010, 07:20 AM
I have used many different strings+this is one of the best i have found.Lab test results do not mean squat, you have to play the string to find out how good it is.

Lt has a great feel,very good control,good spin+it does not move until it is getting ready to break.

High Roller
08-15-2010, 11:47 AM
Tim, you are attempting to pee into the wind with a fan at your back. :)

tlm
08-15-2010, 12:15 PM
Tim, you are attempting to pee into the wind with a fan at your back. :)

Your probably right, but these guys with all their
lab tests+#'s. I read the reviews of rackets+strings
also, but after so many are so wrong when i actually
use the item that i know that you have to try it.

Like right now i am demoing the dunlop 4d 300.
Some of the comments stated that its spin production
is not that good.I played a set with one of my regular
hitting partners yesterday+he said i was getting more
spin than ever.

So there is another example, you have to try these
products yourself.Forget these lab tests+reviews.

Valjean
08-15-2010, 04:01 PM
I have used many different strings+this is one of the best i have found.Lab test results do not mean squat, you have to play the string to find out how good it is.

Lt has a great feel,very good control,good spin+it does not move until it is getting ready to break.
You substitute one verification problem for another then. Unless you mean this opinion is valid merely for you, why should yours ever be considered superior, or even reliable, when:

"....[A]n experienced player should notice the way the strings feel by the force of the handle on his or her hands when striking a ball. It [evidently] depends [though] on how sensitive the player is to touch and feel....[For instance] [v]irtually every player assumes that he can tell the difference between different tensions. Some claim to be able to identify a difference of a pound or two....In a test of 41 advanced recreational players, only *11* [emphases mine, where found] (27 percent) could determine a difference of *11* pounds or less. In fact, *15* (37 percent) couldn't correctly identify the difference even when the tension between two racquets varied by *22* pounds....Using earplugs to further dampen auditory cues lowered the success rates even more."

And:

"What is actually felt is the shock and vibration of the handle hitting the hand plus a push or pull on the arm. This sensation is made up of the rotation, translation and bending of the racquet.....You don't actually feel the strings but rather you feel how they alter the duration of thump and buzz of shock and vibration. The brain has to analyze this information and turn it into the vocabulary of 'feel'. As such, it is an interpretation, not a raw feel. And there is not enough information in this impact feel alone to produce the rich vocabulary that players use to describe the sensation--crisp, dead, grabby, clean, springy--nor is there enough information to determne the amount of power or spin.

The natural conclusion is that players 'experience' the string; they don't just feel it. This is a holistic experience that includes feel, sight, sound, intellectual interpretation based on placement results of many shots, and how the player knowingly or unknowingly alters his stroke as a result of those shot results. The interpretation then becomes the lens through which a player describes his 'feeling'. And then, the player attributes the cause of this post-facto interpretively constructed 'feeling' as a characteristic of the strings--'these strings have a lot of bite,' [for instance]....."

Extracted from: Technical Tennis, pp.80-1

At least USRSA playtests by featuring the playing style, customary string, its tension and the racquet used by each of its 25-30 playtesters of varying levels lets one consider where one might fit in with the individual response given. Your way, nobody can gauge that.

Valjean
08-15-2010, 04:26 PM
Jeez, the reviewers gave this string glowing reviews when it comes to playability, not to mention the fact that it scored extremely well across the board. I have no dog in this fight but, at least on the racquets I strung with Premier LT, it performed exactly as a top-shelf multi should.
Playtest scores of 3.1 (durability) and 3.2 (resistance to movement) are not high and correlate with that self-same high rate of tension loss for Premier LT the lab boys found. As to playability scoring, see the above response to tlm, if you need to.

themitchmann
08-16-2010, 02:54 AM
You can better inform yourself with reading the lab results, but you should always test a string yourself if you're considering the switch.

As one of the USRSA testers, I'm fortunate enough to be able to test many different strings myself. Most of the time, my impressions are similar to the results found by the other testers.

tlm
08-16-2010, 09:17 AM
Agree with you to a certain extent..woudln't say they are B S, but most important is to try yourself because everyone has their own preferences

I tried this once in a hybrid and thought it wasn't bad. Thought durability was pretty good

I agree you can get an idea by reading reviews.
But the bottom line is you have to give it a try.

parasailing
08-16-2010, 09:37 AM
Like others have said, you definitely need to try the strings. These came highly recommended on the forums but for me, they were just decent strings. Everyone has a personal preference and you will only know if you try them out.

tennisfreak565
08-16-2010, 05:14 PM
ok but is LT a very durable string? I'm considering getiing 17 or maybe even 18 gauge.

lefty10spro
08-17-2010, 12:18 PM
No, not a high durabiliy string. It plays quite well at high tensions. Crisp with nice pocketing and spin production and no sore arm!

tlm
08-17-2010, 12:28 PM
No, not a high durabiliy string. It plays quite well at high tensions. Crisp with nice pocketing and spin production and no sore arm!

I agree those are 3 of the main reasons i like this
string.As far as durability goes it is okay, i use the 16
gauge.To me no string other than gut plays good after
5-6 hours so i restring at least once a week anyway.

themitchmann
08-17-2010, 03:35 PM
Definitely not a very durable string.

AK47
08-20-2010, 05:04 AM
i use 18 gauge on o3 speedportwhite pro at 58lbs. I can get 20 hrs before it breaks or gets really loose that i have to cut them out. I have been using it for a year now consistently.

GameSetMatch
08-20-2010, 09:59 AM
high rate of tension loss for Premier LT the lab boys found.

They tested a SINGLE STRING. How does that in any way resemble the actual peformance in a racquet over several weeks and 100s of hits? Well, I can tell you - it doesn't.