PDA

View Full Version : I dare you to find me a better string setup for the AG100, I DARE you!

pvaudio
08-14-2010, 11:18 AM
60/60:
Technifibre NRG2 18/Weisscannon Turbotwist 1.20

I've hit with a good number of hybrids in this frame, but this is without question the best yet. I mean, honestly, I've been playing with gut mains recently, but the NRG2 actually feels better. While it isn't as soft, its feel is far more complex than just softness and pocketing. It actually feels lively as though the string is doing something other than just sending it over. The amount of spin that you get with this setup equals and maybe even beats a full bed of Spiky Shark, and that is not something that I take lightly since nothing I've ever hit with has come close to the SS setup. Anyone think that they can top this?

Power Player
08-14-2010, 11:28 AM
Well, I have been hitting with low tensions of 40#s (poly/multi) in my Dunlop and I think when it comes to spin and stroke consistency it tops my prior setup of 62#s.

Just matters how you like to hit the ball.

Pioneer
08-14-2010, 11:34 AM
Let's see.

It's a mid, it's headlight, it's flexible...

Big Banger Original in the mid 20s then

kiteboard
08-14-2010, 01:20 PM
barb wire/vs team 17g for spin: or vs team/blackcode for serve/volley/control improv on the volleys

TripleB
08-14-2010, 05:33 PM
TurboTwist 1.24 mains @ 58 pounds, Mantis Comfort Synthetic Gut 16g crosses @ 60 pounds.

If you want to go a bit cheaper and don't mind a tad more string movement, use Forten Sween Synthetic Gut 16 in the crosses.

TripleB

pvaudio
08-14-2010, 05:39 PM
I dunno, to me this stick works best with either full poly or poly crosses. I invite anyone who has said string to try the setup I listed. I am stringing up my other two with the same as I type this!

Kevo
08-14-2010, 06:05 PM
Looks like a good combo to me. I've not met an 18 guage setup I haven't liked. The only problem is I'd be lucky to get a set out of it. If it weren't for the durability I'd probably play 18g Alpha Gut 2000. My Racquet bag's just not big enough though.

KickservKyle
08-14-2010, 06:42 PM
I dunno, to me this stick works best with either full poly or poly crosses. I invite anyone who has said string to try the setup I listed. I am stringing up my other two with the same as I type this!

Is this your first time on this setup? How's the string movement?

pvaudio
08-14-2010, 07:20 PM
Is this your first time on this setup? How's the string movement?
First time. Zero movement, no fraying, like it's poly/poly after an hour.

Centered
08-14-2010, 07:28 PM
I tried NRG-2 18 by itself and wasn't happy with it. I prefer the 17. However, I've stopped using NRG-2 in favor of Zyex strings. NRG-2 isn't a bad string, but it's stiffer than I care for.

You may like the new Dynamite Soft since it comes in the 18 gauge.

Vermillion
08-14-2010, 07:31 PM
Forten Nylon 16g

pvaudio
08-15-2010, 12:02 AM
I tried NRG-2 18 by itself and wasn't happy with it. I prefer the 17. However, I've stopped using NRG-2 in favor of Zyex strings. NRG-2 isn't a bad string, but it's stiffer than I care for.

You may like the new Dynamite Soft since it comes in the 18 gauge.
That's exactly why I like it. I used to use solely NRG2 when I was in high school and hadn't played with it since until a few weeks back when I deided to try it crossed with Turbotwist. Am I ever glad I did! :D

And what ******* gave this 1 star?

Centered
08-15-2010, 10:18 AM
Here are the thin strings (RSI numbers) with tension loss no greater than 13 lbs:

Brand/name, material, diameter, stiffness, tension loss

Soft:
Ashaway Dynamite Soft 18, Zyex/Nylon ?, ?, ?
Ashaway Powernick 18, Nylon/Zyex, 1.16, 154, 12.88
Ashaway Super Nick XL Micro 18, Nylon, 1.16, 164, 12.73

Medium:
Head Synthetic Gut PPS 18 Nylon, 1.16, 176, 11.93
Gearbox Multi Premium 18 Nylon, 1.17, 177, 12.85
Tecnifibre X One Biphase 18 1.18, Nylon/Polyurethane, 1.19, 181, 8.96
Tecnifibre NRG2 18, Nylon/Polyurethane, 1.17, 181, 9.86
Volkl Power Fiber II 18, Nylon, 1.19, 189, 10.39
Gosen OG Sheep Micro 18, Nylon, 1.19, 190, 12.28
Pro Supex Synthetic Gut 1.20, Nylon, 1.19, 192, 12.55
Silent Partner Ultimatum 18, Nylon, 1.19, 194, 12.04
Gearbox Mono Premium 18, Nylon, 1.17, 195, 11.18

Very stiff:
Forten Aramid Composite 17, Kevlar/Nylon, 1.17, 597, 11.27
Silent Partner Gutsy Aramid 17, Kevlar, 1.15, 623, 11.38

jnd28
08-15-2010, 10:20 AM
I just tried that same combo in my Becker London albeit at lower tensions (56/54), and i was way impressed. I was playing with full gut with full technifibre as the backup and Im going to move forward with this combo. Great spin with a great feel. I find it volleys almost as well as the full gut but with the added benefit of increased spin on the serves and groundies.

Centered
08-15-2010, 10:21 AM
It looks like these strings are especially comparable to NRG-2 18:

pvaudio
08-15-2010, 10:39 AM
I just tried that same combo in my Becker London albeit at lower tensions (56/54), and i was way impressed. I was playing with full gut with full technifibre as the backup and Im going to move forward with this combo. Great spin with a great feel. I find it volleys almost as well as the full gut but with the added benefit of increased spin on the serves and groundies.This man has seen the light :)

Centered
08-15-2010, 03:53 PM
It looks like these strings are especially comparable to NRG-2 18:

And, that Head string is $3.95 from TW.

Tecnifibre NRG2 18, Nylon/Polyurethane, 1.17, 181, 9.86

The NRG-2 has better tension retention, but it's a touch thicker and stiffer. It's also $8.55 more expensive per pack.

One can get a pack of Dynamite 17 and a pack of Head Synthetic Gut PPS 18 for the same price as one pack of NRG-2 18

– or less if you get the 5+ packs price for the Dynamite. In that case it would be about a dollar cheaper for the two packs versus one pack of NRG-2.

Or one could buy three packs of the Head string for the price of one pack of NRG-2 18.

LMW
08-15-2010, 06:09 PM
I'll take natural gut any day. Plus my shoulder won't need surgery when I hit 40 years old.

Centered
08-15-2010, 06:27 PM
I'll take natural gut any day. Plus my shoulder won't need surgery when I hit 40 years old.
http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=342948

Check out the last post. Ashaway Dynamite has comparable dynamic stiffness for a vastly lower price than gut. Of course, it's not a miracle string and does have a few shortcomings. But, for $7.08 per pack for 5+ packs at TW, it has some serious strengths.

pvaudio
08-15-2010, 08:52 PM
Why would you possibly need surgery when playing with a multi crossed with a relatively soft poly?

Power Player
08-16-2010, 10:49 AM
Because you run the risk whenever you string poly that tight. Most people including pros keep their poly at 55 and under. Now there are a few freaks out there like roddick, but in general, you want your poly looser...especially as a rec player.

I was really into my hybrid of big ace micro and Stamina at 60#s. It felt really awesome. The downside came from how much energy I was expending to hit. I did not notice until after I came back from a few weeks break. I was crushing the ball, but I had to so the ball was not easily returned.

Now that I have dropped tension, I use less effort and more spin to control the ball. I hit with a lot of the same guys, and I noticed that the best had much more trouble with my shots at a lower tension.

So while I totally understand why you would be into your current combo, keep an open mind. If you find yourself hitting weak returns when you are on the run or having to put too much beef behind all your shots, definitley try the lower tensions out.

It took me a while, but I am glad I did. It is better on your frames and your body, plus your game could improve if you hit with enough topspin.

DrpShot!
08-18-2010, 07:53 AM
I've found two problems with lower tensions - string movement becomes an issue for me, even with the polys, and there's a little too much power when I do have time to set up, forehand drives fly out and I have to take something off of first serves.

kiteboard
08-18-2010, 01:08 PM
Because you run the risk whenever you string poly that tight. Most people including pros keep their poly at 55 and under. Now there are a few freaks out there like roddick, but in general, you want your poly looser...especially as a rec player.

I was really into my hybrid of big ace micro and Stamina at 60#s. It felt really awesome. The downside came from how much energy I was expending to hit. I did not notice until after I came back from a few weeks break. I was crushing the ball, but I had to so the ball was not easily returned.

Now that I have dropped tension, I use less effort and more spin to control the ball. I hit with a lot of the same guys, and I noticed that the best had much more trouble with my shots at a lower tension.

So while I totally understand why you would be into your current combo, keep an open mind. If you find yourself hitting weak returns when you are on the run or having to put too much beef behind all your shots, definitley try the lower tensions out.

It took me a while, but I am glad I did. It is better on your frames and your body, plus your game could improve if you hit with enough topspin.

Delpo, gulbis, berdych, tsonga, use alu at 60-62lbs.

petema99
08-18-2010, 01:55 PM
What other set-ups would be good?

I have only tried a few in the AG100 - these are Wilson NXT 16 at 58lbs, Head RIP Control and PSGD at 63lbs.

Favourite is the Wilson NXT.

I will be trying out SOlinco tour bite sometime but don't know whether to use aas a hybrid (with what?) or as a full bed (would I have to lower the tension compared with Multis?)?

Power Player
08-18-2010, 02:09 PM
Delpo, gulbis, berdych, tsonga, use alu at 60-62lbs.

Cool. Thats a small % out of the majority. It's also a better setup for a professional who plays tennis every day and has much higher racquet speed then any of us.

Plus a lot more pros are starting to string in the 40's now.

kiteboard
08-18-2010, 03:00 PM
What other set-ups would be good?

I have only tried a few in the AG100 - these are Wilson NXT 16 at 58lbs, Head RIP Control and PSGD at 63lbs.

Favourite is the Wilson NXT.

I will be trying out SOlinco tour bite sometime but don't know whether to use aas a hybrid (with what?) or as a full bed (would I have to lower the tension compared with Multis?)?

Hybrid it with vanquish or vs team 17g, or nxt. Lower the crosses by 4 lbs. It's a powerful soft poly, with a lot of spin.

kiteboard
08-18-2010, 03:00 PM
Cool. Thats a small % out of the majority. It's also a better setup for a professional who plays tennis every day and has much higher racquet speed then any of us.

Plus a lot more pros are starting to string in the 40's now.

Sod is at 55 lbs. with alu/pt57a. They are all around 360g as well. Even Fed is at 355-357g, vs(wilson prem.) team/alu rough 17g. So many of the top uber hitters using alu/vs at 360g, at 60lbs. Of course, they don't play more than 8 games or so with each string job!

Power Player
08-19-2010, 11:11 AM
Davydenko strings at 48 to 52#s..he's kind of good. Why would a rec player want to match a pro who plays 4 hours a day, and has a custom weighted racquet which is usually made with a more flexible layup? And plus, like you said..they restring every few hours.

I guess you are basically agreeing with me that a rec player does not need full poly, and if they do use it, it is probably going to be a lot better for them at lower tensions.

kiteboard
08-19-2010, 08:22 PM
I'm not talking to those people. I'm talking to pv and those who can and want to remove any excuses they have equipm. wise. Most 3.0-4.0 could care less what they use, string/stick, and won't benefit anyway from pro equip.. But for those who can, I speak to them.

Power Player
08-20-2010, 10:12 AM
Yes but as hard as most people over 4.0 work they simply will not benefit from the same setup as a pro because they are not on that level. I think a lot of people here care about their setup, but that doesnt mean they are good enough to string full poly over 55#s. It will probably end up damaging their arms and hurting their games over time.

If Nadal (a very strong and athletic freak)hits with a SW of 355 and a static weight of 12oz with full poly at 55, I can not see why any rec player with spin strokes would need to string higher then that or have a racquet heavier then that.

kiteboard
08-20-2010, 10:38 AM
I would say try Nadal's set up, and then try Delpo's set up.

Power Player
08-20-2010, 10:46 AM
I prefer Nadals (but lighter and lower tension). Delpo is very tall and hits the ball flat. It doesn't make sense for everyone though.

KickservKyle
08-20-2010, 11:35 AM
You guys would probably be best to ask...
Would a multi main last as long,longer, or not as long strung with a multi cross vs. a poly cross?

pvaudio
08-21-2010, 07:14 PM
Poly main, multi cross is the least durable of the options you listed. With the multi mains doing most of the moving against a smooth poly, the poly actually is showing more wear than the 18g NRG. When I had it the other way around, the NRG frayed into oblivion within a set.

pvaudio
08-21-2010, 07:15 PM

The point is the string setup, not the stringing setup. The tensions that I choose to use are my decision alone and I'm not advocating that people make the same choice that I do as far as tension. I'm just recommending the combination.

Falloutjr
08-21-2010, 07:39 PM
Yes but as hard as most people over 4.0 work they simply will not benefit from the same setup as a pro because they are not on that level. I think a lot of people here care about their setup, but that doesnt mean they are good enough to string full poly over 55#s. It will probably end up damaging their arms and hurting their games over time.

If Nadal (a very strong and athletic freak)hits with a SW of 355 and a static weight of 12oz with full poly at 55, I can not see why any rec player with spin strokes would need to string higher then that or have a racquet heavier then that.

Because he needs the low weight to be able to get his racquet over the ball with more acceleration. His racquets is one of the lightest on tour, and most rec players aren't trying to hit 3500 RPM groundstrokes. As for a 55 lb string job, that's kind of neutral, can't say anything about that either way, but full poly at higher tensions is pretty low powered, which can be useful for people who hit very flat to tame their power. I know quite a few people who do that. There are pros who string in the mid 40s, how many rec players do you know that could hit with nat gut crosses in the 40s and keep the ball in play? Their shots would fly 5 feet long, poly mains or not.

Power Player
08-21-2010, 07:48 PM
There are pros who string in the mid 40s, how many rec players do you know that could hit with nat gut crosses in the 40s and keep the ball in play? Their shots would fly 5 feet long, poly mains or not.

Plenty of people string in the mid 40s now. It's really not so difficult. I was hitting extremely consistent with sgut at 48 and poly at 44 2 days ago. I assure you my shots were not flying 5 feet long.

Steve Huff
08-27-2010, 02:04 PM
Well, you dared me. You probably haven't tried my setup for my racket. I use natural gut 15L in the mains (either Klip Legend or Pacific Classic), and Pacific X Force 18 in the crosses. I string the crosses 4# lower than the mains. I've tried the Mantis, and although it was nice, I really like the feel and sound of the XForce much better.