PDA

View Full Version : How does a win by DQ affect ones rating?

damazing
08-14-2010, 01:12 PM
I noticed that someone that beat me at Districts was DQed at Sectionals. Does anyone know how that would affect my rating? Does the computer recalculate the expected score with my opponent at the higher rating and then adjust my dynamic rating?

(I didn't think he was at the higher level, just at the top of the current level but since he was a self rate I guess the computer felt he had too many lopsided victories at level and DQed him)

dizzlmcwizzl
08-14-2010, 02:32 PM
I think the score is changed to a 6-0, 6-0 win for you. It is my understanding that 6-0, 6-0 wins are not factored into to your rating.

So based on those two things one would think it should not impact you at all. However, no one that knows will tell you.

polski
08-15-2010, 04:23 AM
I would be willing to bet that a DQ victory has little effect on dynamic rating.

I have not researched this, but this just seems to make so much sense that even the USTA should be able to understand.

tnnsman7
08-15-2010, 05:31 AM
If a player is DQ'd at sectionals, how does that affect their record at the state finals? Are all their previous wins DQ'd? Would they take the state championship away from that team if it made a difference in the outcome? If so, it would be too late for the new winner to go to sectionals.

tnnsman7
08-15-2010, 05:32 AM
If a player is DQ'd at sectionals, how does that affect their record at the state finals? Are all their previous wins DQ'd? Would they take the state championship away from that team if it made a difference in the outcome? If so, it would be too late for the new winner to go to sectionals.

tnnsman7
08-15-2010, 05:33 AM
Sorry about the double post.

J_R_B
08-15-2010, 06:09 AM
I don't know if this is how it actually does work, but the DQ match still should figure into your dynamic rating. They have a real match with real scores, why shouldn't they use it?

Topaz
08-15-2010, 06:14 AM
I think the score is changed to a 6-0, 6-0 win for you. It is my understanding that 6-0, 6-0 wins are not factored into to your rating.

So based on those two things one would think it should not impact you at all. However, no one that knows will tell you.

The scores do not get changed.

damazing
08-15-2010, 09:13 AM

All of his previous wins were DQed.

polski
08-15-2010, 11:08 AM
It's a reactionary process after scores are computed dynamically.

Basically, the only penalty for carrying the sandbagger is that your team will be without them at the next level event:
- DQ's after regular season don't play at state
- DQ's after state don't play at sectionals
- DQ's after sectional don't play at nationals

That is really the only way the USTA has figured out to penalize the offenders. They don't do it in the middle of the tournament, most likely to simply avoid the confrontation with the player and captain. I think it is just one of those things that they try to make sure stops without having a big scene where officials could be subject to verbal and/or physical abuse.

polski
08-15-2010, 11:12 AM
I guess that I got off topic.

Your dynamic rating is still based on the actual result against the other player. You don't get credited with a 6-0, 6-0 win when they calculate your rating points. You get credit with what actually happened against a player whose dynamic rating has now exceeded the threshold of your current level.

If you're a 4.0, then this match is looked at like you played against a 4.5-4.99 player.

Topaz
08-15-2010, 11:21 AM
Polski, I've seen DQs happen at the tournaments...

polski
08-15-2010, 12:56 PM

They must have had body guards there. :)

I have never seen that (but I'm just one person), only have seen people DQ'd by the computer after the matches are played.

SJS
08-15-2010, 03:35 PM
They must have had body guards there. :)

I have never seen that (but I'm just one person), only have seen people DQ'd by the computer after the matches are played.

It's up to each section to decide if they will run the dynamic calculations during championships or after. I live in a section that runs them during the tournaments and the results have been reversed. Your section probably just does them afterwards.

tnnsman7
08-15-2010, 03:46 PM
I've also seen DQ's happen at tournaments. We were also told a DQ would result in any wins by that player being disqualified and result in losses. We were told that at our league playoffs, area finals and the state final this year. We had to wait around 1/2 hour to 45 minutes after each match to find out if we had any DQ's and if our wins would stand.

J_R_B
08-16-2010, 06:07 AM
I guess that I got off topic.

Your dynamic rating is still based on the actual result against the other player. You don't get credited with a 6-0, 6-0 win when they calculate your rating points. You get credit with what actually happened against a player whose dynamic rating has now exceeded the threshold of your current level.

If you're a 4.0, then this match is looked at like you played against a 4.5-4.99 player.

Well, the match is viewed vs the actual dynamic rating of the player, which will most likely be a low 4.5 rating, like 4.10 or 4.15. It's unlikely that a DQ'd player would shoot straight to the top of the next range (unless he was playing matches at that level and winning easily there). The 4.5 range is 4.01-4.50.

goober
08-16-2010, 07:27 AM

Are you talking about a team tournament or a regular individual tournament?

J_R_B
08-16-2010, 10:29 AM

Sectionals. Some sections actually run strike reports after every match during sectionals.

Topaz
08-16-2010, 11:36 AM

Sectionals. Some sections actually run strike reports after every match during sectionals.

I'm talking about the same circumstances as JRB...districts and/or sectionals.

tennislefty
08-16-2010, 01:10 PM
there were several DQ's at mid atlantic sections this year. self raters are very risky..they dont affect a computer or benchmark player.

Topaz
08-16-2010, 01:36 PM
Congratulations tennislefty!

Cindysphinx
08-16-2010, 03:29 PM
Congratulations tennislefty!

Congratulations?

I think we have different ideas about who TennisLefty is. Now I am starting to doubt myself . . .

Care to elaborate, Topaz?

tennislefty
08-16-2010, 07:31 PM
Congrats? maybe ill become tennisrighty.

:evil:

Topaz
08-16-2010, 08:07 PM
I was assuming tennislefty was on the team that just won Sectionals...I could be wrong!

tennislefty
08-17-2010, 03:14 PM
sure wish I was!