PDA

View Full Version : Spray Painting Strings

GarrettReid
08-14-2010, 04:23 PM
Hi I was curious if spray painting the strings on your racquet would affect game play in any way. I would use regular string paint but can not find it in the color I would like

Thank you

Lakers4Life
08-14-2010, 05:37 PM
A long time ago before the advent of the stencil applicators, they used to spray paint logos using the stencil. In fact, most factory strung rackets still use spray guns to apply the logo.

GarrettReid
08-14-2010, 10:56 PM
Is there a certain kind of spray paint you would avoid, or recommend?

kevoT
08-15-2010, 11:07 AM
I'm not sure which spray paint to avoid but you can always search on google!

Lakers4Life
08-15-2010, 01:47 PM
Is there a certain kind of spray paint you would avoid, or recommend?

Not really, I recall the spray cans that were use back in the day were smaller than the normal spray paint can. You just have to be careful not to get any paint on the racket. Stick to ink bottles, they are less messy to use.

Tennis_Crazed
08-15-2010, 11:28 PM
Hi I was curious if spray painting the strings on your racquet would affect game play in any way. I would use regular string paint but can not find it in the color I would like

Thank you

I would think spray painting and putting a coating on the strings would affect the play of the strings... a little bit of stencil ink might not, but trying to spray paint a full string bed can't be good

CHOcobo
08-15-2010, 11:58 PM
don't even waste your time with this, lol. does nothing but harm your health, especially with auto spray paint. if your suppose to wear mask respirator while painting, don't paint. you may inhale as they chip away.

GarrettReid
08-16-2010, 10:08 AM
I would think spray painting and putting a coating on the strings would affect the play of the strings... a little bit of stencil ink might not, but trying to spray paint a full string bed can't be good

Well I was only going to spray paint on a stencil, and would use stencil ink but I can't seem to find it in many colors.

serve stopper
08-16-2010, 12:26 PM
what color are you looking for

GarrettReid
08-16-2010, 04:13 PM
I'm looking for a yellow or lime green.

Lakers4Life
08-16-2010, 07:26 PM
I've seen white stencil ink. I guess you can try to dye it.

esgee48
08-17-2010, 03:45 PM
I have done it that way using Krylon spray paint. Works OK, but do not apply a single heavy coat to the strings. Use several thin coats. You should use a stencil and you need to tape it down and mask off the areas where you do not want paint. Use masking tape liberally around the frame and take it off only after the paint dries. When I did this, I held the racquet against a scrap plywood board before spraying. You do need to do it in a ventilated area.

GarrettReid
08-17-2010, 04:23 PM
Did you notice any change to how the strings react?

esgee48
08-18-2010, 07:48 PM
Nope. The thin coats did not glue the strings together, so they could slide over each other if needed for spin. BTW I no longer do too many stencils. Too much extra work taping and masking for ink that does not last long due to poly. Nothing sticks to that material for long. As an experiment (cuz I was a ChemE), I thought it would work and it did.

GarrettReid
08-18-2010, 08:02 PM
Well a local shop I found does free stencils if you get your racket strung there. So I might check out doing that.