PDA

View Full Version : Nike v.s Adidas Jackets

Mansewerz
08-14-2010, 04:43 PM
For Nike, i'm thinking particularly the N98, and for Adidas, the spring court woven or knit jacket.

What are the pluses and minuses of each? Are they durable (worth the price)?

JoelDali
08-14-2010, 07:21 PM
I'm a Nike zlut of the highest order, but I think the Poly material of the N90 and Fed jackets are an insult.

They feel so crappy, tight, itchy.

I'm looking for alternatives too.

MAXXply
08-14-2010, 08:37 PM
I find the Nike N98 jacket (all its variants - Fed versions, soccer World Cup editions etc etc) satisfactory. Only a cheaper pricetag would make it perfect. I like the mid-to-heavyweight fabric blend; it can only become more comfortable and softer over time. I definitely prefer the N98's beefier construction over Nike's Eugene jacket - while softer, it definitely feels flimsier in its fabric and construction than the N98.

I've avoided adidas tennis jackets for their uninspiring designs, if anything. Monochromatic and geometric patterns don't do it for me. Also, the adidas cut and fit isn't as tailored and fitted to my liking as the N98 - the N98 is simply better looking and hence more versatile as streetwear. I can't see myself lounging at Starbucks in any current adidas tennis jacket.

It seems Nike are intent on the N98 being their template to grow long term jacket sales - have you seen the dedicated N98 sales brochure with LeBron on the cover? I think they want it to be their hero jacket just like adidas' Firebird and Superstar lines.

Rhino
08-14-2010, 08:58 PM
Nike N98 jackets look the coolest. I don't really understand the sizing though. I have two, one is a large and the other is a small, and both fit me. I got the small in New Zealand, I don't know if the sizing is different for the US.

Mansewerz
08-14-2010, 09:40 PM
The Adidas firebirds looked nice too.

I'm looking for a jacket similar to my old Old Navy jacket. It was breathable, and it felt like polyester and cotton. The N98 (from pics alone) seems like that.

I have a pair of pants that I call track pants, I think others call them sweatpants. Apparently sweat pants now means anything other than jeans or yoga pants (I hope no man ever wears Yoga pants!). But I digress. What I mean to say is that these pants, which are polyester, feel nice, and that's the kind of feel I'm looking for in the jacket.

What I don't want is a windbreaker like material. I've got a nice Adidas zip top from school for tennis, and although the quality is great (climacool?), it feels too much like a windbreaker.

The Adidas firebird looks similar to the N98.

And yes, the price is a tad too high

MAXXply
08-15-2010, 02:11 AM
Mansewerz - the N98 is a poly/cotton blend; if you haven't worn one rest assured there ain't no parachute/windbreak-type material billowing away in there. You won't look or feel like you've stepped off the pages of TENNIS magazine fashion supplement circa 1990...
I don't have a problem with any supposed scratchy feel of the N98; indeed its interior lining feels soft to me although the pocket lining is definitely softer cotton instead of polyester there. If you want a slightly softer body-feel then hunt around for a Eugene jacket instead.
An aspect of the N98 I like are the contrasting banded cuffs, collar and bottom hem - they're usually differently coloured to the body panels and add a bit of extra colour to it.