PDA

View Full Version : Multi strings will not pull tight

johndagolfer
08-14-2010, 09:20 PM
I use an ms200. My friend wanted me to string his Prince 26db with a gamma multi asterisk. I am pulling as hard as I can to the tensioner, but no matter how hard I pull the tensioner still reaches its end point and thus isn't putting full tension on the string.

The string is definitely not slipping ( marked a line that isn't moving) So does this mean that the string is stretching a lot? I don't want to neck the string.

Holy smokes I just have to pull really really hard to the tensioner. Is this a failing of the MS200 or do other tensioners have problems when pulling a very elastic string?

Technatic
08-14-2010, 10:11 PM
johndagolfer Multi strings will not pull tight - Problem solved

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I use an ms200. My friend wanted me to string his Prince 26db with a gamma multi asterisk. I am pulling as hard as I can to the tensioner, but no matter how hard I pull the tensioner still reaches its end point and thus isn't putting full tension on the string.

The string is definitely not slipping ( marked a line that isn't moving) So does this mean that the string is stretching a lot? I don't want to neck the string.

Holy smokes I just have to pull really really hard to the tensioner. Is this a failing of the MS200 or do other tensioners have problems when pulling a very elastic string?

Hi johndagolfer,

If the string does not slip through the clamp of the tensioner it means that the string stretches a lot at the tension that you are pulling.
Every tensioner will need more travel to tension this string.
At what tension are you stringing?

You can do an easy test to feel the difference in elongation and elasticity of strings:
Clamp the end of the string in a bench vice and pull tension on the string by hand.
If you compare this with a string that you usually string you can feel the difference in elongation and elasticity.

If this string stretches a lot it is not a good idea to string it at high tension for a guy who hits hard and with spin. It will loose tension quickly and the mains will look like a mess rather quickly because the string does not recover well from a spin stroke.

If it is a comfort string it is better to string at lower tensions so that you use the playability of the string.

I will send Dave Clemans a pm and ask if he measured the elongation of this string.

If the tensioner reaches the end pull tension again WITHOUT moving your clamp first. If you tension a string for the second time it needs less travel of the tension head.

Tecna

Ash_Smith
08-15-2010, 12:37 AM
Asterisk is very, very stretchy!

Ash

verbouge
08-15-2010, 12:57 AM
I've not measured this string, but I'm pretty sure I can get a hold of some and do so. I've found with my ML 100 that some strings are so darn stretchy I have to take up the slack mid-pull, and THEN let then weight do the rest. This sounds like one of those.

I have a friend who has a good relationship with the local Gamma rep. I'll send him a link to this thread and see if I can get my hands on some Multi Asterisk (what kind of name is THAT for a tennis string*******?).

This racket stringing thing can be weird. There is so much variability that even machines that you know and trust can be taken for a loop. I believe in my heart of hearts that there is no more accurate machine on the planet than the ML100; yet, there are times when even this machine is tested in various ways. Super stretchy strings is one of things that tests my machine and my own capabilities. This sounds like it may be case with this string and your MS200.

Let's see if we can figure it out.

Take care,
Dave Clemans

rich s
08-15-2010, 06:30 AM

Out of curiosity.....What tenison are you pulling?

Have you tried prestretching to alleviate some of the elasticity?

johndagolfer
08-15-2010, 07:22 AM
65 pounds
I did try to prestretch.

What I finally did to solve the problem is pull the slack so tight that it felt like I was lifting weights.

rich s
08-15-2010, 09:12 AM
65 pounds
I did try to prestretch.

What I finally did to solve the problem is pull the slack so tight that it felt like I was lifting weights.

instead of manually pulling the slack... maybe try pulling tension with the machine, letting the tensioner bottom out, clamp the string, lift the bar, take up any slack and re-engage the string in the tensioner, drop the arm, release the clamp and re-clamp when the tension is reached on the second pull.

It's a little involved but will keep you from "lifting weights" while you string.

Technatic
08-15-2010, 11:16 AM
johndagolfer 65 pounds
I did try to prestretch.

I am afraid that you are stringing this multi at a much too high stiffness for this string:

Most of the elongation that is in the string is remaining elongation that does not recover after stretching. The elastic elongation of a multi is never more than 2 % /20/kg.

This string stretches very much so it has a lot of remaining elongation and the higher the tension the more remaining elongation occurs, also during play.
This means that you loose tension very quickly with this string.

There is another reason that a stretchy string has to be tensioned at a low tension:

The higher the stiffness of the string bed the lower the deflection of the stringbed on impact of the ball.
A smaller deflection means less elongation of the string.
When the string is not stretched on impact the player does not feel the stretch qualities of the string.

So: there is no use to string a stretchy string at high tensions!

So if you want to have the benefits of the stretchy string you have to string it at low tensions.
But of course not every player will be happy with that, because a lower stiffness will offer less control on the speed of the ball.

My questions are:
What is the size (L and B) of your string area?
And what number of mains and crosses?
So that we can calculate the stiffness you are aiming with 65 lbs.

Tecna

johndagolfer
08-15-2010, 11:45 AM
I was wondering why my pal wanted a Multi strung so tightly. The racquet is a synergy db 26 OS.

He likes really tight strings so I thought he knew what he was getting himself into. I'll let him know what you said about stringing multis tighter. Maybe he will give them to me so that I can string them as crosses with my SPINX.

Thanks for all the input!