PDA

View Full Version : What knot setup do you use?

pvaudio
08-14-2010, 10:23 PM
I was just wondering this after realizing today that I unconsciously use different knot patterns depending on the string type and/or gauge:

1-piece: Two Wilson knots

2-piece (syn gut cross): Two Wilson mains knots, 1 bulky starting knot, one Wilson cross knot

2-piece (all others): Two Wilson mains knots, 1 starting knot, one Wilson cross knot.

I used to use a DHH for everything, but didn't and still don't like how it doesn't cinch up nicely. I then switched to the starting knot/parnell finishing pattern, then realized that the Wilson knot is somehow 10x simpler and faster to tie than a parnell, and while it may not look as sleek, it's more compact and ideal for tight string patterns or cross on cross tieoffs, and as such it's become the only finishing knot I use. What about you?

Kevo
08-15-2010, 10:24 AM
I'm using the Parnell Knot for everything right now. Works fine and looks neat. I also like that it doesn't destroy the grommets. The only think I do when starting crosses with it is I hold the tail of the knot against the frame when pulling tension. That lets it cinch up nicely without slipping inside the grommet. Looks like all the other knots when done, and it doesn't destroy the grommet as much as some of the bulkier knots can.

pvaudio
08-15-2010, 12:45 PM
Hmm that's true. I do like the Parnell for looks, but the Wilson is so much faster to tie.

jim e
08-15-2010, 12:51 PM
Hmm that's true. I do like the Parnell for looks, but the Wilson is so much faster to tie.

It must save 1-2 seconds.
I really think its more a matter of preference than time don't you really think?

I use the now called Parnell knot for most knots as I was taught that one many many years ago, and the PC knot for tight spots where there is not much room, like when the tie off is on a cross string and the knot may interfere with the last main string, the PC is smaller and works nice.(I'm sure that the Pro knot would work well in places like that as well, again , matter of preference).
Biggest thing is that the knot you decide on holds well.

pvaudio
08-15-2010, 01:54 PM
It must save 1-2 seconds.
I really think its more a matter of preference than time don't you really think?

I use the now called Parnell knot for most knots as I was taught that one many many years ago, and the PC knot for tight spots where there is not much room, like when the tie off is on a cross string and the knot may interfere with the last main string, the PC is smaller and works nice.(I'm sure that the Pro knot would work well in places like that as well, again , matter of preference).
Biggest thing is that the knot you decide on holds well.
You are right, the time saved isn't really significant numerically, but it feels like you finish more quickly because all you do is make a square knot while tightening by the loop instead of the tail. You don't have to weave the string back under the racquet again and its easier to cinch up, so it's over/under/through/through/pull/tie. Not over/under/through/over/under/through triangle/pull/tie. I dunno, just seems like it goes more quickly because you don't spend more than 5 seconds at the grommet.

tray999
08-15-2010, 07:32 PM
I use the Parnell Knot 99 percent of the time.

drakulie
08-15-2010, 07:41 PM
Parnell, or 1 and a half hitch (aka, pro, pc, wilson, drakulie, jime, Irvin, Yulitle, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc KNOT) :)

pvaudio
08-15-2010, 08:56 PM
Oh yes, as Drak said, the Wilson knot I'm talking about is the same as the Pro knot or the PC knot in case you just don't call it that. :D

Irvin
08-16-2010, 01:43 AM
I use the Wilson or Pro knot for all my tie off and the starting knot when I pull tension on a knot. I think the Pro knot is a little smaller than the Parnell knot so it does not widen the grommets as much and looks as neat as the parnell. I used to pull tension on the Pro knot but I don't any more.

Irvin

topanlego
08-16-2010, 04:33 PM
Thanks to the Irvin's video, I learned the Pro/Wilson/etc knot. Parnell on the mains as there's lots of room and Pro/Wilson Knot on the Crosses as there's very little room to work with on my racquets and the smaller knot fits.