PDA

View Full Version : good multi also resistant to movement?

tennisace23
08-15-2010, 05:25 AM
Any suggestions for a quality multi that is also resistant to movement? Thanks.

tennisace23
08-16-2010, 02:46 AM
Nobody has any suggestions?

bumfluff
08-16-2010, 03:02 AM
I'm currently using Wilson NXT and I can't recommend that, quite a lot of string movement. Maybe Tecnifibre X-1 Biphase, its a while since I have used it and I used it in a slightly less open string pattern but I don't remember it being bad for string movement. My memory may have failed me though...

MarrratSafin
08-16-2010, 03:06 AM
In general, string the crosses 4 lbs higher and it won't move around as much. The new Iso Speed Axon is fine. WeissCannon 6Star ESP is fine too. And Prince Recoil is perfect.:lol:

tennisace23
08-16-2010, 03:35 AM
In general, string the crosses 4 lbs higher and it won't move around as much. The new Iso Speed Axon is fine. WeissCannon 6Star ESP is fine too. And Prince Recoil is perfect.:lol:

You mean, string the crosses higher, and the mains won't move as much?

MarrratSafin
08-16-2010, 03:55 AM
You mean, string the crosses higher, and the mains won't move as much?

Yup. That way the tighter crosses hold the mains in place better..

MarrratSafin
08-16-2010, 03:58 AM
I'm currently using Wilson NXT and I can't recommend that, quite a lot of string movement. Maybe Tecnifibre X-1 Biphase, its a while since I have used it and I used it in a slightly less open string pattern but I don't remember it being bad for string movement. My memory may have failed me though...

X1 is neither good nor bad in string movement.. average. but it excels in all other areas and is one of my favourite multi's.

tennisace23
08-16-2010, 04:08 AM
Thanks for the info. The only problem with X-1 is the price.

MarrratSafin
08-16-2010, 04:16 AM
Thanks for the info. The only problem with X-1 is the price.

It's worth it considering how good it is.. Wilson multi's are more expensive and not as good IMHO. Another multi I'd recommend is Iso Speed Professional Classic. It's 10 bucks, and as close to gut as it gets. I tried it not long ago and was instantly addicted. String movement was not too bad as well. Only concern is that it loses tension much faster than X-1.

GameSetMatch
08-16-2010, 04:26 AM
All multis have string movement - its unavoidable. However, if you want avoid to reduce movement (1) pre-stretch before stringing (2) get a 18x20 racquet, which helps 'lock' the string into place. Better still, just re-restring when it gets to loose....its only going to be about $20 in total.

JediMindTrick
08-16-2010, 07:34 AM
X1 moves like crazy. Stringing crosses higher will deform the racquet head.

All strings move but the slippery ones snap back so they don't stay misaligned. Recoil is the best, or if you want something softer/more powerfull, then try Babolat Addiction. Both have teflon coatings which will make them snap back and stay aligned.

BobFL
08-16-2010, 07:44 AM
Any suggestions for a quality multi that is also resistant to movement? Thanks.

I am aware that this is not really answer to your question but maybe you should try a few newly released polys. They are super soft and comfy and they don't move... just my $0.02 :)

MarrratSafin
08-16-2010, 02:08 PM
X1 moves like crazy. Stringing crosses higher will deform the racquet head.

All strings move but the slippery ones snap back so they don't stay misaligned. Recoil is the best, or if you want something softer/more powerfull, then try Babolat Addiction. Both have teflon coatings which will make them snap back and stay aligned.

Stringing crosses 4 lbs higher will not deform the racquet head. In fact it will balance out the tension in the longer mains and shorter crosses. Stringing the crosses 2 lbs lower than mains will more likely cause the frame to shorten.;)

tennisace23
08-16-2010, 02:25 PM
Stringing crosses 4 lbs higher will not deform the racquet head. In fact it will balance out the tension in the longer mains and shorter crosses. Stringing the crosses 2 lbs lower than mains will more likely cause the frame to shorten.;)

Could you elaborate on this, if possible? Thank you.

Centered
08-16-2010, 02:54 PM
Soft strings are more flexible and move more. Stiff strings are stiffer and move less.

One thing you can do to help reduce string movement with a soft/flexible string is to string more tightly.

Another thing that can help is a dense string pattern in the racquet.

NXT Tour is just as stiff as a monofilament synthetic gut. While it may resist movement, it's cheaper to buy a monofilament nylon string. So, a "good multi" is one like Dynamite that plays more like natural gut than other strings. Zyex moves, though.

TennisNinja
08-16-2010, 07:03 PM
String savers. Might affect feel but they work.

netguy
08-16-2010, 07:36 PM
X-1 17 $14.50
Weiss Cannon Explosiv $13.50

tlm
08-16-2010, 08:28 PM
Try wilson nxt tour or prince premier lt.

Keifers
08-16-2010, 08:38 PM
Multis with a sticky (usually polyurethane-y) coating resist movement much, much better typically than strings with a drier surface.

Examples: Quasi-Gut and the old TF 515 come to mind.

meowmix
08-16-2010, 09:05 PM
String savers. Might affect feel but they work.

What he said.

Unfortunately, string movement comes with multis. Unless you're getting Prince Recoil which doesn't move, your soft strings are going to move. If it really annoys you that much, stick some string savers in the center/wherever you hit most.

Centered
08-16-2010, 09:19 PM
Try wilson nxt tour or prince premier lt.
NXT Tour is stiffer than a number of monofilament "synthetic gut" strings. It doesn't really count as a nylon multi because the point of using fine filaments is to decrease stiffness.

Prince Recoil is as stiff as monofilament nylon strings like Ashaway Liberty and Prince Tournament Nylon, too.

TW database numbers, racquets strung at 40 lbs with fast swing stiffness bolded:

Babolat VS Natural Team Gut 17, 86.3
Babolat VS Touch 16, 90.9
Ashaway Dynamite WB 16, 104.6
Tecnifibre NRG2 16, 136.6
Ashaway Liberty 16, 138.9
Prince Recoil 16, 145.2
Prince Tournament Nylon 15L, 146.3
Prince Synthetic Gut 16 Duraflex, 149.2
Wilson NXT Tour 16, 150.9
Prince Syn Gut Original 16, 157.2