PDA

View Full Version : Shaped vs. Rough for best spin

thebeast73
08-15-2010, 07:28 AM
What creates more spin rough string or shaped strings?

Keifers
08-15-2010, 07:44 AM
Hard to generalise, I would think. Depends on the specific strings you're comparing.

The current trend (among polys at least) is shaped, rather than rough-textured.

I've found Spin X really grabs the ball. Will try Tour Bite next time I re-string.

High Roller
08-15-2010, 07:55 AM
For me, extruded shapes that are then twisted generate the greatest amount of bite. It is *very* palpable.

However, this does not always translate into the greatest, or most effective, spin. Then there are the trade-offs in when is comes to power, feel, and comfort. In thinking in terms of producing the absolute greatest amount of bite, there are more than a few new strings that are "one trick donkeys". Not saying they won't float your boat, though.

rodrigoamaral
08-15-2010, 11:03 AM
In my experience, shaped strings produce more spin than rough ones..

Macro80
08-15-2010, 11:09 AM
In my experience this is mainly marketing. I think string movement and pocketing are more important to spin generation. I dont find any difference between textured or shaped strings and normal.

EG. I dont think ALU Rough generates any more spin than ALU Power.

Tennis_Crazed
08-15-2010, 10:49 PM
i agree that its not all just shape, but the string itself. ALU Power does generate immense spin and its round. But apples to apples if i had to compare 2 strings exactly the same, but one was rough and other shaped, i would say that the shaped one would generate more spin

XFactorer
08-16-2010, 12:01 AM
My vote is neither. Texture/shape of the string has no effect on the ball because the ball isn't on the strings that long. Swing path, speed, stroke style have more to do with it.

chaddles
08-16-2010, 01:13 AM
In my experience this is mainly marketing. I think string movement and pocketing are more important to spin generation. I dont find any difference between textured or shaped strings and normal.

Totally agree - and I found M2 Pro easier to produce string than ALU Power.

The shaped strings theoretically could produce more spin as there is less surface area of the cross & main string making contact, therefore there could be less friction... In practice, this appears not to be the case and mainly marketing.

Mig1NC
08-16-2010, 02:47 AM

According to this ALU Rough does generate more spin than ALU Power:
http://twu.tennis-warehouse.com/learning_center/stringmovement.php