PDA

View Full Version : Problem with Alpha clamps

denj3325
08-15-2010, 10:42 AM
I already have a thread started about this problem, but now that I figured out my problem I figured I would start a new thread so if this has happened to someone else, they would see this and help me out.

So my problem is that on one of my clamps, the 2 plates of teeth are not exactly parallel, and this forces me to clamp with a lot of pressure when I tension the string otherwise the clamp wont hold the string. This is because only about 2-3 out of the 5 teeth are actually touching the string, so there is a big drop in the friction that would normally be there to help hold the string.

Has anyone else ever had this problem? If so, is there a way to manually correct this? Or do i need to just get a new clamp?

Any help is greatly appreciated!

mad dog1
08-15-2010, 11:09 AM
since you mentioned that you just purchased the stringer new from Alpha, you should contact Alpha.

rodrigoamaral
08-15-2010, 11:19 AM
e-mail or call mark from alpha and all problems will be solved immediately.

gotwheels
08-15-2010, 12:22 PM
denj3325, Leave me your e-mail and I can probably help you with your clamp problem, should be an easy fix.

denj3325
08-15-2010, 04:46 PM
My e-mail is denj925@hotmail.com

rich s
08-15-2010, 05:38 PM
Call Mark........ your product is under warranty...

Power Player
08-16-2010, 06:54 AM
I upgraded to the stringway clamps. I would reccomend buying a double clamp and seeing how you like it. It is an awesome clamp and made my life way easier compared to using the alpha clamps. Same issues you are mentioning are the ones I had.

Other people here have had no issues though.

rubberband22
08-16-2010, 11:15 AM
I have the same issues on both my clamps. Metal plate is not flat so only a couple of the teeth clamp the string. Tried returning them but replacements were the same.

Those stringway clamps costs just as much as your stringer. You shouldn't have to double your costs for defective clamps.

topanlego
08-16-2010, 04:29 PM
I have the same issues on both my clamps. Metal plate is not flat so only a couple of the teeth clamp the string. Tried returning them but replacements were the same.

Those stringway clamps costs just as much as your stringer. You shouldn't have to double your costs for defective clamps.

If I'm not mistaken, he has the DC+. Stringway fixed camps don't fit as far as I know. If you mean the flying one, his stringer is $350 so the clamps are not as much as the stringer.

denj3325
08-16-2010, 08:43 PM
gotwheels actually figured it out for me. There are slots on the back of the clamp where the smalest allen wrench they give you fits. I just had to turn one of the small bolts and now it is level.

But I am still having trouble gripping poly without leaving marks. The way I test it is that I stick one end of a short section of string in the clamp and then I pull tension on it and if it slips out then I tighten the clamp until it doesn't. Is this a realistic test?

I just cannot get poly to stay in the clamp at, at most, 60 lbs withought leaving marks.

P.S. I have cleaned the clamps twice using an old toothbrush and rubbing alcohol.

topanlego
08-17-2010, 01:43 PM
gotwheels actually figured it out for me. There are slots on the back of the clamp where the smalest allen wrench they give you fits. I just had to turn one of the small bolts and now it is level.

But I am still having trouble gripping poly without leaving marks. The way I test it is that I stick one end of a short section of string in the clamp and then I pull tension on it and if it slips out then I tighten the clamp until it doesn't. Is this a realistic test?

I just cannot get poly to stay in the clamp at, at most, 60 lbs withought leaving marks.

P.S. I have cleaned the clamps twice using an old toothbrush and rubbing alcohol.

Marks are pretty normal for polys. There's not much you can do about it. As long as the string isn't damaged.

denj3325
08-17-2010, 08:54 PM
Marks are pretty normal for polys. There's not much you can do about it. As long as the string isn't damaged.

How do you tell the difference between just a mark and damage?