PDA

View Full Version : thoughts on synthetic gut

LetsGoRoddick
08-16-2010, 04:29 AM
I've read a bunch of reviews here on TW for synthetic gut strings, from gamma to dunlop/whatever. Basically what I gather is that this string is a case of 'you get what you pay for'.

Synthetic gut is...very cheap...So no real losses if I bother to demo these. Obviously now the only way for me to be sure would be to go and test it out. But I'd like to see what you guys think about the SynGut. Hybrid? Durability? Spin/Control?

I also have a pack of RPM arriving soon...go hybrid? But I hear the Synthetic Gut slides around all over the place, and with a soft string like RPM, that could lead to some negative results right?

federalprassi
08-16-2010, 06:53 AM
I would hybrid, syngut are usually soft and make a great hybrid with RPM or other polys. I have had a fullbed of syngut and after it goes dead it moves after every hit, just the nature of the string I guess.

nickarnold2000
08-16-2010, 09:22 AM
I use poly and syn gut hybrids but always put the syn crosses in a few lbs higher. Even at lower tension ie. 40/42 lbs, there isn't much string movement.

Power Player
08-16-2010, 11:41 AM
Nick..what is your ideal tension with this setup? I just strung up at 44/48 poly/syngut but have not had a chance to hit with it yet.

Centered
08-16-2010, 11:48 AM
I used to look down on monofilament nylon string until I started delving into the testing data. There are monofilament nylon strings "synthetic gut" that offer similar performance to much more expensive multifilaments. How durable they are in comparison is something I can't answer, however.

For instance, I made a topic about NRG-2 18 and showed that the numbers for a Head 18 gauge monofilament nylon string are very similar. Given that the Head string costs $4 and the NRG-2 costs $12.50 it seems like it's worthwhile to at least test the Head string against NRG-2, personally, for people who like NRG-2 18.

However, no monofilament nylon string will be as soft as the most gut-like multifilament strings, especially Zyex strings. Zyex is what "synthetic gut" should refer to, not nylon.

tball
08-16-2010, 08:21 PM
I actually prefer Syn Guts to other strings. What I like about them is their subdued response and consistency. They do not produce trampoline effects or any "extra power" quirks. I absolutely cannot handle those. They do not produce "hot spots"/uneven beds where some shots fly off cheerfully and powerfully, others just drop dead off the face of the racquet. They do not produce jarring sensations. They do not hurt your elbow. Yes, Syn Guts do not provide power, or feel/touch for that matter, but overall, I prefer them to other strings.

Regarding feel... I use dampeners anyway. When a good/heavy dampener is on, the difference in feel between a good multi / natural gut and syn gut disappears.

Centered
08-16-2010, 08:41 PM
They do not hurt your elbow.
That depends upon the person, the racquet, the tension, and the person they're playing.

Monofilament nylon can be stiffer than polys:

Pacific Tough Gut 16L, Natural Gut, 1.28mm, 83
Babolat VS Team Thermogut 17, Natural Gut, 1.26mm, 102
Ashaway Dynamite 17, Zyex, 1.24mm, 147
Head Sonic Pro 16, Polyester, 1.31mm, 214
Gamma Zo Tour 17, Polyester, 1.29mm, 225
Gamma Marathon DPC 17, Nylon, 1.27mm, 228

Stiffness is bolded.

Centered
08-16-2010, 09:15 PM
One interesting thing is that Ashaway Liberty, which is super cheap, is as soft as NRG-2 and much less stiff than PSG original:

TW database numbers, racquets strung at 40 lbs (the prior post was 63 lbs):

Babolat VS Natural Team Gut 17, 86.3
Babolat VS Touch 16, 90.9
Ashaway Dynamite WB 16, 104.6
Tecnifibre NRG2 16, 136.6
Ashaway Liberty 16, 138.9
Prince Tournament Nylon 15L, 146.3
Prince Synthetic Gut 16 Duraflex, 149.2
Wilson NXT Tour 16, 150.9
Prince Syn Gut Original 16, 157.2

nickarnold2000
08-16-2010, 10:07 PM
Nick..what is your ideal tension with this setup? I just strung up at 44/48 poly/syngut but have not had a chance to hit with it yet.
Hi PP, I was using Tornado 17/Sweet 17 at 36/38 (low tension club) and liked the spin but also had too much string movement. I'm also trying to generate more racket head speed and found that I was hitting too many balls long so I upped the tension to 40/42 and string movement now is much less. My shots have less arc to them but its easier to hit with heavy hitters. Huge amounts of spin with this setup.

LetsGoRoddick
08-16-2010, 11:27 PM
Alright thanks for the help. I just went out on court after 2 weeks of no play, but my PHT16 honestly feels like its hitting a wooden board, especially on the backhand slice. I really wasn't having fun at all while hitting.

I haven't had any elbow problems, but I think some new strings will be a nice change of pace for me, and maybe it will be a bit easier, you know.

Valjean
08-17-2010, 04:15 AM
Four things I know I think now:

1. Ashaway Liberty is a true tournament nylon, and it has its defects; it plays great for a short while, then wears out and soon breaks down.

2. Zyex is no miracle cure. Maybe Ashaway's new manufacturing event will somehow produce an upgrade, but there is a reason Dynamite hasn't been that way.

3. Babolat's N.vy, while it still has a higher stiffness rating, is just a comfortable string, due to an outer wrap compound it wears. Someone should weigh in with an OG Sheep Micro Super appraisal now. Alpha's Gut 2000 isn't a true monofilament synthetic gut but it's priced right down in that range.

4. Complaints of string movement make me smile, often. Though strings rate that way, there is much you can do, from adjusting the tension of both, or just the cross string, to installing string savers yourself. It's the stringing installation, mostly, and not just the string, too! Of course string tension loss helps that, and cheaper synthetics go that way fast!

Centered
08-17-2010, 09:57 AM
1. Ashaway Liberty is a true tournament nylon, and it has its defects; it plays great for a short while, then wears out and soon breaks down.
Sounds like monofilament nylon. "Tournament nylon" is no different from monofilament nylon. "Synthetic gut" is monofilament nylon. A few of them have added features, like textured coating, a strand of this or that fiber ("duraflex"), and colored dyes. But, they're monofilament nylon just the same.
Zyex is no miracle cure. Maybe Ashaway's new manufacturing event will somehow produce an upgrade, but there is a reason Dynamite hasn't been that way.
Nothing is miraculous. Everything, including natural gut, has positives and negatives. Natural gut's high price is its main negative, along with its inability to be used in wet conditions.

Zyex is the most gut-like synthetic, period. The TW numbers prove that.

Dynamite hasn't been really popular because Ashaway's marketing engine isn't so strong. Who would name a string "Composite XL Pro" when it's one of only two Vectran multis on the market? It's so generic and it's not a surprise that it's now discontinued. Plus, the coating issue made the string less than perfect. Today, the coating will still wear off, but I think the issue is overblown. I suppose it depends upon the player. Heavy topspin players may wear it off sooner. In any case, the new Dynamite Soft has no coating issue to speak of as the outer material is integrated with the Zyex fibers apparently.

Alpha's Gut 2000 isn't a true monofilament synthetic gut but it's priced right down in that range.
If you're looking for a soft multi like that, then you can go even softer with Zyex. However, for a nylon multi, it is priced more reasonably than many of them at $1.18 more than a package of Dynamite (if you get the TW special of $7.08 per pack for 5 packs). Dynamite, however, is significantly more gut-like in terms of dynamic stiffness.