PDA

View Full Version : Correct Shoe Measurement without Pain

botticelli
08-16-2010, 01:27 PM
Okay I have had some issues with trying to find the correct shoe for my feet. My foot size is 11 and I have tried 11's and 11.5 in the following shoes......Babolat Propulse 2's, Prince T22's, and Wilson Tour Spin. All of these shoes kill my toes when I am running side to side and when I come to a sudden stop on the court. I have been using 11.5's to give myself a little room so my foot does not jam up against the shoe, but I am still feeling toe jam with pain. The only shoe the Wilson Open series shoes (of course discontinued) in 11's and 11.5 were pain free and felt great.

Should I go with a size 12 so my toes won't jam into the shoe? Does anyone have any suggestions because I am tired of spending money on shoes that are killing me.

Thanks for helping.

XFactorer
08-16-2010, 01:45 PM
Try some different brands. *cough* Nike *cough*

1stVolley
08-16-2010, 01:51 PM
In general, it is better to size up a 1/2 size anyway as that gives you more room in the toe box (a common complaint with shoes) and, if it turns out to be too wide or long you can add a thicker innersole to compensate. Also, try different lacing patterns if you have slippage--and NEVER use two pair of socks, a sure cause of slippage.

Also, don't forget that knowing your true foot size doesn't guarantee you'll get the right size shoe when ordering. For some stupid reason, shoe mfrs do NOT conform to the standard foot size scales. So, for example, New Balance might run 1/2 size smaller than their indicated size on many of their models. I have one Adidas running shoe that's a whole size smaller than its stated size.

When ordering shoes, check whether that model runs true to size by googling or, on the T-W site by reading the customer feedback.

Admerr
08-16-2010, 02:24 PM
Everyone has their own preference. Some might say go a 1/2 size up for more room. I have tried that, and my feet end up just having more room to move around and slam my toes. Right now I have 7 toe nails from playing so much this summer and trying the 1/2 size up method.

Like 1stVolley said: try different lace patterns. Someone posted a link here recently of all the methods.

I am currently playing with shoes that are nice and snug length wise. I measure size 12, and that is what I am using. I am also using the lace style that locks the foot into the shoe. It has helped remedy a problem that I have been struggling with for years.

Going 1/2 size up is not a bad idea. You might want to double sock it. It just doesn't work for me.

Good luck.

Gasolina
08-17-2010, 09:34 AM
Just wanted to share my experience. I wear primarily Barricades. One day I tried the Geniuses which was 1/2 size larger than what I used to wear. The fit was OK (actually liked the lighter shoe) but I could feel my heel slipping up when I was running / jumping forward. Although the rest of the shoe felt good especially on the width and the toe box.

The next time I wore them I replaced the innersole with a thicker one and after 5 minutes of running my foot was in a lot of pain that I had to really stop and get my barricades out of the car.

I'm a firm believer than if the shoe doesn't fit, then don't buy it. No sense to go through all that trouble for a shoe that doesn't fit you out of the box.